Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS single turbo, want to build motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM
travismaser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
a turbo'd LS swap makes a ton more sense. its a 6L v8. theres a cheap production kit to do it. LS motors are super easy to source and domestic aftermarket parts are way cheap.

JDM upgrades are much more $$ than USDM. A 88mm turbo on a LS2 swap will cost about 1/2 what it would to properly build a 2JZ. read supraforums. Big hp cars there are just as expensive as a VQ. Then read vette/G8/etc forums and see how cheap they can make 800+whp.
You know, iv thought about an LS swap...and my buddy owns a shop here in pittsburgh and he mainly only does ls1 swaps....but I kinda wana be different then all my buddys with their chevys..haha...I know the ls1 has a lot of potantial...but I kinda wana stay turbo import....
Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
travismaser

I looked into tech2...but they wernt very good for the price....I found better deals thru shifted performance....

(Sorry about multiple replys I justdid...my phones in and out of service)
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you wanna be different then just do a 5.3 truck swap its a litle different, uses all the same parts as any other ls engine with the exception of some of the bigger valve heads but thats just because the valves hit the cylinder walls. its also even cheaper then a ls1,ls2,lq9 ect. and the cylinder walls are retardedly thick. it can be bored out to a 5.7, since the crank is the same one as the ls1, and still has thicker cylindr walls then the ls1, its actually kinda popular with the 3rd gen f bodys for a cheaper route then the 6.0. iirc someone was making close to 500 hp n/a with bolt ons and a cam and the stock 5.3l displacement
Originally Posted by travismaser
You know, iv thought about an LS swap...and my buddy owns a shop here in pittsburgh and he mainly only does ls1 swaps....but I kinda wana be different then all my buddys with their chevys..haha...I know the ls1 has a lot of potantial...but I kinda wana stay turbo import....
Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 PM
travismaser

Originally Posted by jerryd87
if you wanna be different then just do a 5.3 truck swap its a litle different, uses all the same parts as any other ls engine with the exception of some of the bigger valve heads but thats just because the valves hit the cylinder walls. its also even cheaper then a ls1,ls2,lq9 ect. and the cylinder walls are retardedly thick. it can be bored out to a 5.7, since the crank is the same one as the ls1, and still has thicker cylindr walls then the ls1, its actually kinda popular with the 3rd gen f bodys for a cheaper route then the 6.0. iirc someone was making close to 500 hp n/a with bolt ons and a cam and the stock 5.3l displacement
would actually be pretty cool...just seems like if it was a really good deal, more ppl would be doing it? or is it like the secret swap? haha
Old 02-12-2011, 09:32 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would actually be pretty cool...just seems like if it was a really good deal, more ppl would be doing it? or is it like the secret swap? haha
I thought you wanted to be different? Anyway, none of these swaps are common on our platform.

This is turning into another dreamer thread. Choose the one that will make you most satisfied and go for it.

Update us when the build actually begins.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-12-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 PM
travismaser

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I thought you wanted to be different? Anyway, none of these swaps are common on our platform.

This is turning into another dreamer thread. Choose the one that will make you most satisfied and go for it.

Update us when the build actually begins.
i hear ya there..the 2j build has already started but iv found myself a little over my head in money...thats why im looking at other options...

there will be a build thread as soon as i figure out what i can do...the 2jz single turbo Z is what i want to do and what iv been saving for...but its seeming way out of what i have in my wallet...but i did get an offer on my motor today...so if it sells then i can do the 2j build, if not...leaning towards the shortblock
Old 02-12-2011, 10:50 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

alot of people who consider a swap are looking for the most power possible why it is a little bit cheaper for a couple hundred more bucks you can get .7l more from a lq9 and have just as strong of a block as a bored out 5.3 it does weigh quite a bit more though since its an iron block, be looking at about 1k more for ls swaps. as far as actual swap is concerned though its all the same parts needed, cross member, motor mounts, trans bellhouseing ect. thats the great thing about gm v8s everything is interchangable.

its alot more popular with 3rd gen f bodys as 4th gens already come with the ls1. engine swaps are alot more common in the domestic world especially with the easy of swapping newer engines into old cars.

if you really wanna go for broke can do the warhawk or gm lsx block and build something insane. i know of a couple 4th gens running over 2k hp on these blocks but they have ALOT of money invested the bare blocks alone unfinished are 2k+