Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How true is this machinist statement??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 04:52 AM
Armlocker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How true is this machinist statement??

I asked a builder in my area his thoughts on using a torque plate to hone the VQ. I'd like to know if his response has merit, or if its just a way to keep the job since he doesnt have a plate.

"This block has floating bores (the bores are completely open and surrounded by water jacket) as well as the head bolt holes located lower down in the block near the crank axis. This is the same as most Honda blocks. It does not require a torque plate. If your block had a closed deck with the head bolt threads located near the head surface (thus distorting the top of the bores when torqued) you would need a torque plate."

Its hard to imagine so many people using a plate on the VQ if it has no benefits due to the floating bores, so i guess i already know my answer.. But has anyone acutaully measured the bores before and after being torqued down and have actual DATA on the amount of distortion?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want it done right, find a new machinist.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Armlocker

I figured as much. Does anyone have any measurements of how much our blocks actually distort? I dont think there is a single VQ35 deck plate in all of Canada. I've been trying to avoid the rental fees and shipping & brokerage charges/border issues associated with renting one from a shop in the US. Looks like I'll have no choice.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, I’m looking into my build too and this was something I was thinking about too… I called Forged Performance earlier this week and I’ll be renting their torque plate once I tear my motor down and get the pistons in hand.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I am no expert, but I would think the fact that we have an open deck motor, it would be even more important to use a torque plate.... but what do I know, I am a just a simple farmer....

I did rent one from forged back in '07 on my build. Keep looking, if you can't find one locally, I would recommend getting one from Sharif. It will be worth the little bit of hassle
Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your machinest thinks that an open deck block doesn't distort...i agree with hal...you need to find a new machinest. So I guess he thinks the block is floating in space and creates it's own gravatational stability field?

In all honestly there are a lot of different ways to machine a block. But the correct way is win a trq plate and a balanced crankshaft. Your be surprised how many engine builders don't even bother with that. They give the "it's a v6 and internally balanced excuse"...whatever that implies.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 03-04-2011 at 09:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Xrabbix (07-30-2019)
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO. Have their been motor failures that can be solely isolated to not using a torque plate? I get the engineering behind it and I'm sure for an "all out" effort its necessary. But for a boost/horsepower level level that a street tire can put down I have trouble believing that its a must have. In the grand scheme of things if your dropping so much coin on an all out build it does fall under the why not category for most I'd imagine. But the little extras do add up, but they may not be absolutely necessary for mild street builds.

If what the OP says about the machinist is verbatim, then no matter what find someone else.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Armlocker

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
In all honestly there are a lot of different ways to machine a block. But the correct way is win a trq plate and a balanced crankshaft. Your be surprised how many engine builders don't even bother with that. They give the "it's a v6 and internally balanced excuse"...whatever that implies.
Sharif, You'd be surprised how many builders up here i had to sift through to even find one that could balance with bobweights. Could you shoot me a PM with the details for shipping the rental plate to canada? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Armlocker

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
If what the OP says about the machinist is verbatim, then no matter what find someone else.
I took his reply to mean that he felt it wasnt necessary as this type of block will not distort as much as others. Not that it wouldnt distort AT ALL. Thats kind of why i wanted to see some figures from people who have torqued it on and measured the distortion.