Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Proefi users... What's your experience been so far?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 AM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proefi users... What's your experience been so far?

Ok, i'm looking to get some feedback from other pro-efi users on the boards. I'm interested in more the people using the end user software, more then people who have picked up their car and driven away with only changing the iboost.

I have been having rough issues creating my own .srz files, my can display v2 stops displaying data after the car has been running for 10-30 minutes, or sometimes a few hours later, traction control and launch control on but I don't see any differences.

I want to hear from you guys out there playing with your end user software, making adjustments, your experiences etc... My setup currently consists of the 128 box, 350z PNP harness, Can display V2, dual widebands, can cable, iboost switch, boost solenoid, FP sensor, Map sensor.

It seems to me right now, that from an end user software there is still much to be desired, but from the guys that have had everything dealer tuned 100% those users appear to be extremely happy and good to go.

I am considering swapping out the Proefi for one of my haltecs because the interface is much more refined. I really want to try to go as far as I can with the Pro-efi because of traction control and launch control, etc... but I dont want to be fighting a system where the end user has to struggle constantly.

What have you guys liked, disliked? Whats been working well, what have you been struggling with? If familiar with another EMS, what's your comparison?

Any and all help appreciated guys!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

haha, you musta been reading the pm's I've canvased my350z with over the past 2 days. Had I known you had a 128 box, i would pm'd you as well the proefi looks very daunting when it comes to setup. My haltech was pretty straight forward. But the level of control is very different as well.

The new V2.6 proefi software has better help files, but I imagine that lots of calls to Jason would still have to be made. Ray comes very highly recommended as a proefi tuner from guys on the GTR forum. Anything is particular that you think has been tough to get dialed in? Everyone I have talked to said after a pro tuner finished, it was much like stock.

Most everyone on here has the 48 box, and no one else i've found has the 128 nor have done much if any of their own tuning, so i hopefully others come out of the woodwork.

I do find Jason is pretty easy to get ahold of and answer questions, but I am fully expecting to have to have a real tuner (ie, not me) set the entire thing up.

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-25-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM
psychoballistic

The throttle motors for the can bus system were a pain to setup, when we thought it was all good to go, we'd make a pull and there was some calibration that was creating a rough pull... Don't know what it was exactly, but the factory throttle motor had to be retained for the tune, meaning no launch control or traction control since the can bus is what sends the wheel speed signals.

All the big stuff I have left to Ray... But as for end user software changes, my system locked me out one time, had to swap ems's with Ray... My display has been acting wierd as one minute its fine the next its not displaying and data, thinking it is probably something with calibrating everything.

Ray is top notch in my opinion, and the only reason I am staying with the Pro-efi still... He has always been man of his word, I have no reason to believe otherwise. He just tuned that GTR in FL on a 128 box to over 1000whp... There is still more in the car, he maxed out the fuel though. I'd suggest you to Ray any day of the week, that man is no BS, straight forward with you.

I have to be able to adjust settings on my own though when i'm at the track. If there needs to be adjustments, I need to be able to make them, not wait to speak to my tuner a day later and get a new flash.

This is what i'm trying to understand, see who has what. What's worked, whats not, what's the level of capabilities. I believe the pro-efi can be an awesome system, but there seems to be very few DIY Pro-efi end users.

Edit: I was missing files before I could even access my pro-efi system... They weren't yet on the pro-efi website, and although Adam didn't have them right away, he got them from Jason and emailed them to me a few hours later.

Last edited by psychoballistic; 05-25-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
str8dum1

for a simple setup, ie 99% of the builds out there, i think the Haltech is a perfect solution. Just the right amount of control without being over complicated.

Once you start adding in 2 or 3 fuel pumps, meth pumps, scavenge pump, multistage nitrous etc etc, the Proefi really shines on paper.

You have that new square display? I'm sticking with the 52mm gauge. That seems well established.

By playing with the software, it seems that once the params are set, map tweaking seems plausible. But I'm quite a ways away from having it in my car to know..

SP has the LC and TC working fine in their youtube vids

What do you mean by throttle motor? But good to know that Ray has worked thru most of the issues already on your car

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-25-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 PM
psychoballistic

I do have the new square display, but thinking it needs to be calibrated somewhere some how. No reason why it would stop displaying data.

The throttle motor is connected via two prong weather packed connectors by the jumper harness. The throttle motor can be controlled by the Pro-efi or by the Factory ecu... If the factory ecu does the controlling, things like idle rpms are not able to be adjusted because the stock ecu is in control...

The factory Can and Proefi can was another issue, so the factory can remained connected. The following day, Ray had it figured out, and I connected the proefi instead of the factory, flashed my ecu with an updated map and I was good.

The guys over at SP are great too, Reid helped me out with some wiring that I didn't have at almost 10pm at night... They have always been and still remain highly respected amongst the Supra community, and I can see why.

All in all, I think I will be very happy when this is all said and done... I'm sure the end user software will get cleaned up over time, but the question will remain how long? I am confident that if Ray is saying don't throw in the towel, he's right.

We will have to wait and see, I am curious to see how you like everything when your all up and going too.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM
psychoballistic

Interesting, Is there really noone on here thats messing around with their Pro-efi's?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
Interesting, Is there really noone on here thats messing around with their Pro-efi's?
I have the ProEFI 48 box in my car and I’ve got 5 friends with ProEFI on their cars and none of us do our own tuning… of course a lot of that has to do with the fact we’re about 30 minutes ProEFI and Jason, lol…
Old 05-26-2011, 03:47 PM
psychoballistic

I think the answer that I'm looking for lies within the hands of my tuner... I will wait to see everything perfected to his liking. Had a lot of pms from users saying they are happy with their system and have zero issues, must just be a few more calibrations that need to be done.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:08 PM
str8dum1

wonder why just pms and not public posts???
Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought about getting the Proefi 128 box before I got the Haltech, but the lack of feedback and the nearest dealer is around 1000KM and they quoted me ~$3500 for the install of the 48 box since I have the HR motor, made me prefer the Haltech.

<--- remembers back in the day when vendors used to support their products by updates and answering questions and start new threads every day about new installs and were more involved in the forum .

This forum is not dyeing.. because its already dead
Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

vendors posting shop builds had entertainment value no question, but the real value of the forum comes from enthusiasts helping each other out. it's not dead, just different.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:36 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by rcdash
vendors posting shop builds had entertainment value no question, but the real value of the forum comes from enthusiasts helping each other out. it's not dead, just different.
The only problem I see with situations like this is that there is a very limited number of enthusiasts that really get involved in their vehicle with major things...

I thought there were more people running the 48/128 box's out there, I was heavily mistaken I guess.

I agree with you RC, it is different, and as time progresses hopefully the forums will grow to similarity of that of the older Z car forums and supra forums...Lots of knowledge in these forums sitting dormant.

Last edited by psychoballistic; 05-27-2011 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Change
Old 05-27-2011, 06:20 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could be of more help to most on this topic too.....but I live 20min from SP so there was no reason for me to mess with the tune.....Larry did all my tuning lol.

I had the 48box for a couple reasons, 1 being time my car was completed the 128box wasn't quite perfected for a street car yet on the VQ.
Going back, I would have done a 128 hands down....the features that came out of the box made it perfect, and 1/2 the cost of what an equivalently setup 48box would be.

But like mentioned, once its dialed in the car ran like stock. Started perfect, no misses, gurgles burbles whatsoever......and it was doing a lot....1200cc injectors, 3 pumps, oil scavenge, pressure sensors, all the standard safety stuff, etc.....

Like rich said, Jason is pretty easy to get ahold of (especially on IM) and can usually answer your questions quickly.

Tom
Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM
str8dum1

what's Jason's IM? (aol IM?)

new toy arrived
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM
GreenGoblin

oh so nice
Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

its XBOX huge.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
It seems to me right now, that from an end user software there is still much to be desired, but from the guys that have had everything dealer tuned 100% those users appear to be extremely happy and good to go.!

What problems are you having with the end user software??

I understand that the ProEFI is a very powerful and complicated system. It took me quite a while to get the tuning perfected. I can certainly understand why it would be a struggle for the first time user but with us tuners doing more and more cars we can supply you with a base map that is 99% correct and you should only have to tweak it for your setup.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Is there a HR plug and play harness yet?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
What problems are you having with the end user software??

I understand that the ProEFI is a very powerful and complicated system. It took me quite a while to get the tuning perfected. I can certainly understand why it would be a struggle for the first time user but with us tuners doing more and more cars we can supply you with a base map that is 99% correct and you should only have to tweak it for your setup.
Just saw you guy posted, I don't know how I missed it.

For instance I have the Can V2 display, it loses connection after a while where it shows the fault icon flashing, unplug from the back, plug back in and its fine for a little bit until it happens again. Jason said it is something resistance based, most likely in my harness somewhere. IMO I shouldn't have to open up my harness to check resistors, hence why I bought it in the first place. He says I can ship it to him, but that involved disconnecting all my pinouts that have been added in for the rest of my system. Its supposed to be 120ohms of resistance, and it is reading 3.25 mega ohms from the can cable connector pins where the defi plug is. That would also explain my issue of why I cannot connect my laptop easily many times.

At the same time, I went to make little changes as you have mentioned, but something in the EUS isn't allowing me to create a proper .SRZ file. So when I tried to load it up, it corrupted my unit. Ray let me borrow an extra he had, and I drove out to swap mine for his so he could work on mine. (Only reason i've stuck with the 128 so far is the support from Ray and Reid).

I want to be able to get in without issues, and change and edit my maps, make online and offline changes. I have a throttle response issue which is sort of delayed right now, but the throttle tables that need to be changed are offline only tables. So I'd have to make a calibration file, merge it with the firmware file and create the .SRZ. But there is always erros coming up, so I don't want to reflash a file i'm creating in the EUS and have it lock everything where I can't even start my car again.

From what I have seen, and from all the hype I have read about it appears that from a dealer stand point this is a top notch system, the users that are nuts about it do not actually go into the software and mess around with their calibrations. Concept is one thing, application and hands on is another. Not to mention the dealers tune on entirely different software. Guys like myself that want access to everything, and are using the EUS are consistently having little issues. Alot of the supra guys by me and many on the Supraforums are all saying the same thing. I would expect for the pricing on this system that everything would be quality controlled and checked. I just want the system to work at this point. I can't rely on my tuner to have my car perfectly set for different track conditions. I need to be able to adjust little things here and there without issue.

After speaking with Ray, he is confident he can get everything working. The one thing i'm trying to avoid is opening up the harness. It's quality and workman ship appears fantastic.

Little things like this are very frustrating when you spend thousands of dollars for a system after all the sensors, switches, accessories, etc... I'm trying to be patient best I can... But I am very hands on with my applications and have never experienced this many quirks on an ems before. It would be nice if the dealer software and EUS were one so that familiararity would be higher. The one man support at pro-efi is a bit disconcerning. What happens if something happens to Jason? Where is our support then for all these people that have this system.

I remember Randy's car after it left you guys and it drove 100% like stock with a ton of power, no hiccups, no throttle issue, perfect. Alot of what I saw in his setup is what I have based my expectation to be on mine. It's not there YET but I know it will be... I hope it all comes together soon, as I am a test for many others local to me, and I want it to be a success, but not at the headache and cost of thousands more to get it the way it should have been in the beginning.

I'm bringing it to Ray in at the end of next week, and giving it to him for a week to get it all situated, he has much more patience than I.

Last edited by psychoballistic; 06-30-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
str8dum1

i should have mine wired in next week hopefully.

i didnt realize that the dealer software is different than the end user.

why is that?

Quick Reply: Proefi users... What's your experience been so far?