Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 PM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
I highly recommend an RFS for your goals. Aside from more flow potential, the main point is that an RFS will stabilize your fuel pressure and equalize flow during boost. It will also make tuning easier and the tune itself more consistent over time.

Nice post. I never knew what was behind fuel rails..
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know "don't skimp on your fuel system" was mentioned in a number of posts in my build thread.

Probably good advice.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 PM
psychoballistic

I highly recommend an RFS for your goals. Aside from more flow potential, the main point is that an RFS will stabilize your fuel pressure and equalize flow during boost. It will also make tuning easier and the tune itself more consistent over time.

Since you mention longevity, IMO this is fairly important unless you're on a shoestring budget... and in that case why even go FI...
Extremely well said and I 100% agree.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 PM
camaya4

What do you think about this set up?
Procharger C2, CJM-S2 RFS, DW 600cc injectors, Uprev tune (can get done @ Austin Uprev), Wabro 255LPH, Cosworth fuel rails, Motordyne 5/16 spacer and some good high flow cats.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by camaya4
Procharger C2, CJM-S2 RFS, DW 600cc injectors, Uprev tune (can get done @ Austin Uprev), Wabro 255LPH, Cosworth fuel rails, Motordyne 5/16 spacer and some good high flow cats.
You won't need the Cosworth fuel rails b/c the CJM S2 comes with them as well as a fuel hard pipe. I kinda think that the Stage 2 may be a little overkill and a Stage 1 will suit your needs but if you like the flexibility of having more than do it.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM
camaya4

Some wiggle room never hurts. I was so busy reeling off parts that I overlooked the fuel rails on the CJM-S2. By the way, how much boost can you safely get away with using stock internals?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

There's a lot different opinions about this... I'd keep it at or under 400whp. The rods in the VQ are suspect to boost, I'm personally aiming for 370-380ish whp with the upgrades I'm picking up for the HKS.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 AM
camaya4

Kinda was thinking the same thing. All of the info I've read seems to coincide with what you are saying.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
You won't need the Cosworth fuel rails b/c the CJM S2 comes with them as well as a fuel hard pipe. I kinda think that the Stage 2 may be a little overkill and a Stage 1 will suit your needs but if you like the flexibility of having more than do it.
I agree, upgraded rails are overkill at 400whp... but if you've got a good deal on it, it can only help...go for it.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Doesn't matter if you are running 350whp or 400whp you are at risk for failure. IMO do everything you can afford, if you can't afford a built motor right now then do all the mods you would need for when you have a built motor because eventually it will blow or you will decide you want more power.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:50 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

^ Truth…my motor bent a rod at 360 whp.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 PM
chrisjersey06

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Doesn't matter if you are running 350whp or 400whp you are at risk for failure. IMO do everything you can afford, if you can't afford a built motor right now then do all the mods you would need for when you have a built motor because eventually it will blow or you will decide you want more power.
Originally Posted by thatv35guy
^ Truth…my motor bent a rod at 360 whp.
You guys are confusing power with torque. Torque is what snaps rods, and your turbo setups putting out 360whp and 400whp were also putting out close to 360wtq and 400wtq. Superchargers don't put out nearly that much, which is why they are generally safer for stock motors. My 400whp setup is only putting down 330wtq. Not saying SC guys haven't gone through motors, but it is much less likely (given a proper tune) in comparison for that reason alone.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisjersey06
You guys are confusing power with torque. Torque is what snaps rods, and your turbo setups putting out 360whp and 400whp were also putting out close to 360wtq and 400wtq. Superchargers don't put out nearly that much, which is why they are generally safer for stock motors. My 400whp setup is only putting down 330wtq. Not saying SC guys haven't gone through motors, but it is much less likely (given a proper tune) in comparison for that reason alone.
I was pushing around 340 lbs. of torque at the time.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

I don't think I agree with that statement... they build boost differently and generally on the VQ you'll never really make equal WHP vs TQ let alone anything above WHP. There's 3 different types of superchargers made for the VQ and all 3 have different WHP/TQ values in respect to the kits... my HKS(Rotrex design) makes more peak TQ than both the Vortech and ProCharger(in base kits... not upgraded) but they make more overall power. Turbo's are easier on stock engines b/c you can control boost... superchargers are belt driven so it's relative to how much air the supercharger can develop.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 AM
camaya4

There is some truth to your statement about blown engines, but I've heard many people have been running TT & SC on a daily driver for years with no problem. I'm just saying with proper tuning aren't a high percentage of blown engines driver failure? Not to say that you guys who have blown your engines don't know what you are doing, it's that mistakes can happen (over revving etc.).
Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just received my procharger kit! Next step is a Cosworth plenum and fuel rails. I am looking for some insight as to what size fuel injectors I should use for a 7-9 psi setup? Also, if anyone can give a heads up on idler pulleys and if I should stick with the procharger ones or what? Finally, I am always wanting to get the most bang for my buck, so with that being said would a full stand alone ECU (Haltech) work better than a reflash such as Osirus? Overkill with the Haltech?

Congrats... Is it a new setup from directly from Procharger or did you buy it through a dealer? The reason I'm asking, some owners in the past saw their main brace flex at high boost levels which led to belt slip and belts breaking. Let's just say a lot of bitching when on around here... I'm curious to see the latest main brace design if it's from Prochager. I would hope they machined the brace differently or added a slightly thicker metal in stratigic areas to reduce brace flex at high boost levels. If it is from Procharger please take some straight on shots of the main brace from the front and back and post it up here, thanks in advance!

Also, if you still in the process of getting everything together for you setup, consider running your belt in this configurations (see link) and not Prochargers suggested configuration. You'll grap more cog pulley teeth

Post #48 and #51...

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...g-belts-3.html

GL,
Zquicksilver
Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
AmateuRN

I ran my ProCharged G for 4 years at 7psi. Return fuel system, 720cc injectors, built 5AT and UTEC- all work done by SGP Racing... It's wonder that after a year of kinks it ran pretty flawlessly for an FI VQ!

Have fun. I loved and miss the whistle and god-awful loud noises it used to make. You can't hide it, and I loved that.

Good luck with it all!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
camaya4

Appreciate the good wishes! I'll post some pics as soon as I can.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't get so worked up over numbers. I've seen 330wtq snap rods in a matter of months and 450wtq/500whp run until the owner got bored with the stock block and went with a full build.

The combination of supporting mods (e.g. lack of), EMS and tune, and driving habits are far more likely to pop a stock engine than raw numbers.

Last edited by djamps; 06-02-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM
chrisjersey06

I wouldn't get so worked up over numbers. I've seen 330wtq snap rods in a matter of months and 450wtq/500whp run until the owner got bored with the stock block and went with a full build.

The combination of supporting mods (e.g. lack of), EMS and tune, and driving habits are far more likely to pop a stock engine than raw numbers.
You're absolutely right. I'd say that tune and driving style have more to do with it than anything else. I was just speaking on general terms, and based on the majority of people's experiences on here. Any type of FI has to be treated with respect and maturity, or bad things are inevitable. Good post though, its my fault for not being more specific. I don't want people to think that they can just slap on a 400whp SC setup, tune it for max power, and then go drive around like a teenager trying to impress their friends at every stoplight, and expect it to last forever.

Last edited by chrisjersey06; 06-02-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Procharger has arrived!