Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech S/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 AM
skitso1080

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech S/C

I have already done a search on this topic and came up with stuff from years back that were helpful, but wanted to follow up to see if I can get current responses.

I have a 2003 350z with 55,000 miles. I am thinking about putting in the Vortech S/C, but I am afraid it will not have good longevity if I don't build the engine. I was wondering if others have had the Vortech kit and have driven their cars past 60k miles with the kit.

I had a honda civic where I put a turbo on a stock bottom end at 135k and spun a bearing at 180k, I just wanted to avoid head aches if I can. The car was also tuned with great afr.

Last edited by skitso1080; 06-28-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 AM
Erdem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ofcourse it will affect the longevity... I can't tell you how much though

headache? Yes, probably...
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 AM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Bro, you need to read some more. They are going to eat you alive here asking generic questions like that.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:58 AM
skitso1080

Originally Posted by phreaktor
Bro, you need to read some more. They are going to eat you alive here asking generic questions like that.
I did some reading, people have the general idea that any forced induction requires a proper tune, and to eventually build the engine. I know longevity is relative you can blow an engine at any time.

I have read the a lot of people have had their s/c for 15k + miles with out issues.

I really wanted to see if anyone has put over 60k miles on their Z with a S/C with out building the bottom end (or anything for that matter), with the kit provided by vortech.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

curious why you didnt fix the civic. prolly coulda had the entire thing rebuilt for under 2000$

you cant even buy a used vortech of close to that.

anyhow, there is no reason you cant put 60k+++ miles on any FI kit if its properly maintained. There is absolutely no reason to build the motor is you stay within the physical specs of the internals

Last edited by str8dum1; 06-28-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Dan@Assaultech
Banned

Originally Posted by skitso1080
I did some reading, people have the general idea that any forced induction requires a proper tune, and to eventually build the engine. I know longevity is relative you can blow an engine at any time.

I have read the a lot of people have had their s/c for 15k + miles with out issues.

I really wanted to see if anyone has put over 60k miles on their Z with a S/C with out building the bottom end (or anything for that matter), with the kit provided by vortech.
It can be done, but you can't beat on it (edited for those who can't interpret this, you can do whatever you want, but don't expect your motor to last as long). VQs are known to run into oil consumption problems. If you push any stock VQ motor hard at about 400whp you can expect to run into problems within 20-30k miles (or sooner) If you keep it at a Vortech complete kit setting (around 350whp with their tune) and you don't beat on it too bad. You can get 60k out of them no problem. Will probably need to get your charger serviced before the engine

Last edited by Dan@Assaultech; 06-28-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go further than the above. If you are going FI, you should be expecting to blow the engine, because it will happen, you just don't know when. The comments/posts by others are a result of many folks looking at it as a risk/could/might/if instead of a WILL. We also see a lot of people that rely on their car to get them to work, don't have the car paid off, or can't afford another car when their engine blows. These same people considering FI for their cars is a very bad idea, so we are cautious when it comes to knew folks asking general questions like yours. That's why you got the responses above.

Yes, and there are people that blew their motors before they even finished tuning and never got their cars on the road. If you can get past trying to quantify/estimate the risk of whether or not you will blow your engine, and instead make sure that you are 100% comfortable with blowing your engine - and having a Z that can't be driven for an extended period of time - you may be ready to consider FI. In that case, find a reputable shop with lots of experience and hand over your money market account to them, then sit back and wait for the fun to commence (whenever they finish).

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 06-28-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 AM
skitso1080

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
make sure that you are 100% comfortable with blowing your engine - and having a Z that can't be driven for an extended period of time
i think that statement really hits home, I have the cash to drop for the vortech kit and to rebuild the motor, I guess it's how comfortable am I to use the money for that.

I guess I really need to figure out what I really want and what I am comfortable with.

thanks everyone for all the comments, they were constructive and helpful.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM
rx7/350z

I've had the vortech on my car with the 3.12 pulley for 65k. I beat on it very hard every day i drive it and have had no problems. My a/f is 11.2 - 11.4 under boost and the car made 406/342 on a dj.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

No problem. We're all on here to learn from each other instead of having to learn it all the hard way.

Most of us would rather give you some advice that you take to heart now, rather than tell you "I told you so" later. Well, maybe some of us would enjoy the "I told you so" thing too.

Just glad that you're open to listen to our advice and mature enough to not take it as preachy.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 AM
rx7/350z

it seems people start to have problems with the 2.87 or 2.62
Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by rx7/350z
I've had the vortech on my car with the 3.12 pulley for 65k. I beat on it very hard every day i drive it and have had no problems. My a/f is 11.2 - 11.4 under boost and the car made 406/342 on a dj.
And there are success stories out, there... don't get me wrong. Some are lucky, some aren't.

I know someone that has about 200k on her car with a vortech on stock block for a long, long time. But it's about being ready/prepared to not be the success story that we all have to consider - along with the problems/challenges that being one of the ones with bad luck might bring us.

I have multiple vehicles, and could blow my car up today and I'd still make it to work, pay my bills, etc. But I still choose to hold off on FI, because I love being able to drive my car all the time and not have to worry about the extra little hassles that a lot of FI people deal with - overheating issues, faster wear on everything, finicky tunes/idle at different temps, etc. Once I start driving the TL more and parking the Z more often, that's when it will make sense personally to go FI.

I want my car to be a constant source of pleasure and enjoyment and not a burden, hassle, or money pit. I'm not saying that's the right way for everyone else to look at it, I'm just saying that's how I do it.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 06-28-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Ruthless18x

There have been a lot of these questions lately, not just from you. People either need to grow a set and do it knowing that there will be problems / costs, or quit pussyfooting around the idea. Even a simple Vortech is going to cost money, I'm looking at nearly 8k for a V3 setup.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I just recently took my S/C off my car (was at 73xxx on an 03) my motor gave up and I wanted to go the built TT route anyways... but theres no need to "build" your motor to be bullet proof as long as you take good care of it. Sure when your motor does eventually go and starts to run like garbage you'll have to repair/rebuild but not to bullet proof status if you dont want, you can always replace everything with OEM parts again you'll get better reliability that way
Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
There have been a lot of these questions lately, not just from you. People either need to grow a set and do it knowing that there will be problems / costs, or quit pussyfooting around the idea. Even a simple Vortech is going to cost money, I'm looking at nearly 8k for a V3 setup.
Well said, and good luck on your build.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
tylerxfire

some people are ridiculous with their comments and not knowing ****...there are so many variables to this and someone cant say yes it will blow no it wont..its a gamble see if its worth it to u...i ran a vortech kit on my stock block for 30k miles i think it was give or take at 420whp/355ft lbs with zero issues..i ran it at the track and beat on it every single day like it was my job...never an issue...proper install and a good tune go along way..

some people need to not comment on things they have no experience with

Last edited by tylerxfire; 06-28-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
tylerxfire

i really love the comment it can be done but u cant beat on it..wtf is that ****...whats the point then...also that vq's develop oil consumption problems...nope wrong again to a certain extent...some vq's of certain years are known for oil consumption problems and that is right from factory no matter if someone puts F/I on it or not..by boosting a car is not gonna all of a sudden start oil consumption problems...if the problem is there its there if not its not.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Ruthless18x

^ dude where have you been!?!?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 AM
tylerxfire

lol..whats up...been in the 2011 5.0 world ..got a white california special..mid 12's off the showroom floor...few bolt ons and tune in the 11's..waiting for boost
havent been here but i had a pm from the guy who bought my vortech said hes selling it and wanted to know if he can list me as previous owner so i browsed around quick..
Old 06-28-2011, 12:11 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
some people are ridiculous with their comments and not knowing ****...there are so many variables to this and someone cant say yes it will blow no it wont..its a gamble see if its worth it to u...
I hope that I'm not one of the ridiculous ones, because I agree completely with what you said. My concern isn't that it can't or shouldn't be done. It's that people will be a lot better off if they know and think about what could happen before they jump in feet first.

For people that rely on their Z as a DD, it's their only car, it isn't paid off, and they can't afford to be without it if it is down - I'm just suggesting that they think about that before they make their main means of transportation less reliable by throwing FI into the mix. Maybe I'm just the old guy thinking about responsibilities and long term instead of how to have the most fun right now?

Quick Reply: Vortech S/C