Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Recommend mileage for breakin on TT motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
856_reilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midz350
You don't want to lose "binder" or start a fight with him as he one of the very helpful people in the FI forum.
There are plenty of others on here that are willing to help somebody out. I'm not starting a fight at all. I just don't call people stupid or idiots. me personally I would help them out rather call them names.... Trust me......It's just plain out childish...... I have thick skin.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 856_reilly
I'm still a idiot?? lmao funny how people are real hard on the internet..... Just hope we don't cross paths one day buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol…
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In here (FI forum) when someone calls you an idiot, it is not a bad thing. lol

Unwritten forum protocol:

People with over 1000 posts and at least one built engine can call people with less than 1000 posts names (noobs, idiots, dreamers... ) and they shall not cry about it.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:35 PM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by midz350
In here (FI forum) when someone calls you an idiot, it is not a bad thing. lol

Unwritten forum protocol:

People with over 1000 posts and at least one built engine can call people with less than 1000 posts names (noobs, idiots, dreamers... ) and they shall not cry about it.

O I wasn't aware of the lingo......If thats the case and the TRUTH then I apoligize.... I just have never heard of such a thing, but alright then....
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm an idiot.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 PM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by djamps
I'm an idiot.
Me too.....
Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is where all the idiots are hanging out then count me in. Op, I'm going through almost exactly the same process with a g35... Built block, etc... Osiris et al. I know my shop said 1000 miles or so with oil changes at certain intervals... Can't recall them exactly and don't want to misquote.

I'm pretty new as well with more money than brains when it comes to this stuff. Like you I'm full of questions but work pretty hard at doing my research before splashing blood all over myself and jumping into the lions den. I've looked into engine break ins on google as I'm sure many have and stumbled into one page that suggests the break in is an unnecessary step... Then again the guys I trust say it's crucial. As you can see- some for 20 minutes... Some for 1000kms. Quite possibly one of the hottest debated subjects I've yet come across.

I don't know enough to throw in objective commentary at this point... But my engine just finished being built and should be on it's way into the car very shortly (like today). Figure it'll be ready to start in about a week (some pro racing stuff is on deck and I expect it'll cause delays) and then some heat cycling and then I get it for the break in period. I'll keep you posted on my progress or just look for my thread... Basically the g35 700bb jwt take two thread. I keep it reasonably up to date. Things have been slow lately but I suspect they will be coming on fast now.

Good luck with your progress and keep that foot off the trigger.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
shakuya88

Originally Posted by djamps
I'm an idiot.
ehh, I think I'm more on the noob/dreamer side than idiot...lol

But even so, when getting on the highway, if you would have to speed up or slow down to get off so not to cause an accident, and you know your breaking in a new motor, prob a better idea to slow down and merge safely (both for traffic and the motor) my 0.02
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 PM
ace32x

ya ^ not sure why your zoomen on the freeway when ur trying to break in the motor, especially with how concerned you are with damaging it XD
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

plain and simple: do'nt boost when breaking an engine in. If you can't keep your foot out of the gas when it's untuned and you are breaking the engine in, then yes, that person is an idiot and a "my block blew up" thread will soon follow.

It's VERY EASY to stay out of boost when breaking an engine in.

I doubt we'll cross paths because i do'nt really like east coast cities but if you're trying to "scare me" into not saying you are an idiot for boosting 15 a/f on a new engine then no, it's not going to work. So stop trying to be internet tough guy. I've seen plenty of tough guys in the 8 years as an army sergeant.

i wouldn't have problems telling anyone to their face that they are an idiot for doing that to an engine during break in. I actually just had that conversation with a local. I did a vortech install and tune on his car. After a full exhaust install i told him not to boost until i could readjust the tune the following weekend. What happened, the idiot went out and drove the **** out of it and had massive detonation (as viewed on the plugs). I straight told him he's an idiot and if he didn't listen to me i wouldn't work on his z anymore. simple fact: do stupid stuff, get called an idiot

Last edited by binder; 07-20-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 AM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by binder
plain and simple: do'nt boost when breaking an engine in. If you can't keep your foot out of the gas when it's untuned and you are breaking the engine in, then yes, that person is an idiot and a "my block blew up" thread will soon follow.

It's VERY EASY to stay out of boost when breaking an engine in.

I doubt we'll cross paths because i do'nt really like east coast cities but if you're trying to "scare me" into not saying you are an idiot for boosting 15 a/f on a new engine then no, it's not going to work. So stop trying to be internet tough guy. I've seen plenty of tough guys in the 8 years as an army sergeant.

i wouldn't have problems telling anyone to their face that they are an idiot for doing that to an engine during break in. I actually just had that conversation with a local. I did a vortech install and tune on his car. After a full exhaust install i told him not to boost until i could readjust the tune the following weekend. What happened, the idiot went out and drove the **** out of it and had massive detonation (as viewed on the plugs). I straight told him he's an idiot and if he didn't listen to me i wouldn't work on his z anymore. simple fact: do stupid stuff, get called an idiot
LMAO!!!!!!! Whatever bro!!!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM
856_reilly

I will be changing out plugs before I take it over to the tuner. Can anyone help out on the gaping of the plugs? I'm goin with the ngk iridium i step colder. Basically my set up is built TT,jwt s7 cams, cosworth intake full 3'' motordyne exhaust. Any help would be great!!!! Thanks guys!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
binder

I will be changing out plugs before I take it over to the tuner. Can anyone help out on the gaping of the plugs? I'm goin with the ngk iridium i step colder. Basically my set up is built TT,jwt s7 cams, cosworth intake full 3'' motordyne exhaust. Any help would be great!!!! Thanks guys!
Most guys using iridiums will tell you they don't need gapped at all. I know rich and a few others leave them the stock iridium gap.

For non-iridium i gap down to 30 thousandths on all my plugs for FI. On the last car i tuned i even took the iridiums down to 35 thousandths just in case but be VERY careful when gapping down iridium plugs. Its very easy to damage the electrode.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
856_reilly

Most guys using iridiums will tell you they don't need gapped at all. I know rich and a few others leave them the stock iridium gap.

For non-iridium i gap down to 30 thousandths on all my plugs for FI. On the last car i tuned i even took the iridiums down to 35 thousandths just in case but be VERY careful when gapping down iridium plugs. Its very easy to damage the electrode.
Thxs guy.... I was also told you don't have to gap them to when I was running them with my s/c set up. Just thru talking with the tuner he was sayin to gap them and I may be wronge ,but I think he said something about gaping them .026. Does that sound right?

Last edited by 856_reilly; 07-20-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i gapped my coppers somewhere that low, but I was also running 38psi. There is no reason you should have to gap a normal setup that low.

you can also take off the -11 and get 0.03" gapped plugs. ie lfr6a-11 is the standard copper with 0.042" gap. The lfr6a is gapped at 0.03"

there are also 2 different iridiums you can use. ***mmmm, doesnt seem that NGK sells the LFR7AIX-11 anymore, or at least I cant find any part #s

The LFR7AIX is the 2 step colder with the smaller 0.03" gap compared to the LFR7AIX-11 which is the 0.042" gap.

IP, etc stock the -11 plugs. I think I have the -11 plugs as well, but will be keeping the 0.03" as backups (best price here http://ngksparkplugs.ecrater.com/p/4...idium-ix-spark)

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-20-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 AM
856_reilly

Another thing, I'm going to be finishing my catch can before I get it tuned and I was basically going to go off the stock pcv set up only put a check valve in line. What do you guys think about that? Am I ok with that or do you think I need to go a different way? Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 AM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i gapped my coppers somewhere that low, but I was also running 38psi. There is no reason you should have to gap a normal setup that low.

you can also take off the -11 and get 0.03" gapped plugs. ie lfr6a-11 is the standard copper with 0.042" gap. The lfr6a is gapped at 0.03"

there are also 2 different iridiums you can use. ***mmmm, doesnt seem that NGK sells the LFR7AIX-11 anymore, or at least I cant find any part #s

The LFR7AIX is the 2 step colder with the smaller 0.03" gap compared to the LFR7AIX-11 which is the 0.042" gap.

IP, etc stock the -11 plugs. I think I have the -11 plugs as well, but will be keeping the 0.03" as backups (best price here http://ngksparkplugs.ecrater.com/p/4...idium-ix-spark)
Thanks bud!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Another thing, I'm going to be finishing my catch can before I get it tuned and I was basically going to go off the stock pcv set up only put a check valve in line. What do you guys think about that? Am I ok with that or do you think I need to go a different way? Thanks
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...od-w-pics.html
Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 AM
binder

That way will work perfectly fine. There are a couple "improved" methods out there to run catch cans but the standard PCV -> check valve -> catch can -> plenum will work just fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:29 PM
856_reilly

That way will work perfectly fine. There are a couple "improved" methods out there to run catch cans but the standard PCV -> check valve -> catch can -> plenum will work just fine.
Thanks brotha!!!!!!! I looked into and read up on some other methods and yes there a little more involved. I do worry bout crankcase pressure that is one of the things I delt with right before my old motor blew w/the SC kit. I figured I would try this first and if I have a issue I would try something else. Just don't to do it standard and then bang it be a issue that is so big to where it's gonna be a big money mistake.....

Quick Reply: Recommend mileage for breakin on TT motor