Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Install... Final HP numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 AM
zimbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by blubyu
I think its time you get with technosquare and see if they can crack the sedan ECU and raise that rev limiter. The torque curve is nasty and the HP keeps rising and rising, with a 7k rev limit I see 350whp as an easy task. Headers and full exhaust you could probably see 370whp
I know Technoquare has an ECU mod for the 5AT sedan but I'm not sure on the 6MT sedan. However, with the Vortech I think I'm going to try to promise myself to sit tight for a while as far as mods go

There will always be time for an ECU flash and a full exhaust later next year.

--Steve
Old 12-12-2003, 08:21 AM
blubyu

Originally posted by zimbo
I know Technoquare has an ECU mod for the 5AT sedan but I'm not sure on the 6MT sedan. However, with the Vortech I think I'm going to try to promise myself to sit tight for a while as far as mods go

There will always be time for an ECU flash and a full exhaust later next year.

--Steve
lol I hear ya!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:20 AM
G3po

Default timing tuning

So the shop need to adjust the fat A/F curve provide out of box.
Did your tuner alter the de-timing slope any , or did they leave as shiped by Vortech? Any information as to the actual timing controller shipped?

I would also think that by replaceing the simplistic timing control provided by Vortech and implemented a J&S like setup you could
Flatten and Raise the TQ curve.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:39 AM
ForceInduction

Originally posted by blubyu
I think its time you get with technosquare and see if they can crack the sedan ECU and raise that rev limiter. The torque curve is nasty and the HP keeps rising and rising, with a 7k rev limit I see 350whp as an easy task. Headers and full exhaust you could probably see 370whp
Good way to blow the motor. Higher rev limit means higher boost levels. The kit is already at 7-8psi wand with a higher rev limit you will be pushing your engine to its limits.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:47 AM
G3po

Default What next

tend to agree with Forced, more RPM (ie. more psi ) would be pushing into riskier turf.

I would think the next two ares that could benfit from optimization are :

a) exhaust, more efficent evacuation of heat will raise the tolerance to detonation. An hence more feasible to run less aggressive de-timng. However; if you agressively open up the exhaust you may need to go fatten up the Fuel to keep your safe A/F numbers

b) timing, as mentioned a more comprehensive timing program. This can only only be addresed with significant limitaion when useing an ECU reflash on this setup. A piggyback woudl allow more control closer to optimum.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:41 PM
blubyu

Originally posted by ForceInduction
Good way to blow the motor. Higher rev limit means higher boost levels. The kit is already at 7-8psi wand with a higher rev limit you will be pushing your engine to its limits.
I'm aware of that...but if this engine can't hold the boost levels of the earlier VQ30 then its quite upsetting. I'd say with a higher rev limit around 7k it would raise the boost level to around 9-9.5psi. Are the VQ35 motors really not able to hold it without blowing to peices? All I know is the VQ30 maximas have proven to hold 10psi+ daily driven without problems. Most that do so have either a SAFCII or J&S ulta safe guard to monitor performance but it has proven to be reliable. I'm just curious at this point...I know my maxima won't ever see boost unless its a turbo setup but the spray will have to do until then. I recently dynoed 314whp and 396wtq on a 100shot running 11:1 a/f from 5000-6600. I would just rather have boost at the touch of the throttle then having to worry about filling bottles and having it open.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:01 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

nice numbers... still in line with all superchargers...

poor, poor s/c guys... you need to find some more torque!
Old 12-12-2003, 03:39 PM
fluidz

Default roots babe

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
nice numbers... still in line with all superchargers...

poor, poor s/c guys... you need to find some more torque!

TORQUE = ROOTS TYPE, NOT CENTRIFICAL

or of couse a nice "PHANTON" TT..........
Attached Thumbnails Vortech Install... Final HP numbers!-350z.jpg  
Old 12-12-2003, 08:22 PM
whosdady

Not all of us have poor TQ numbers. He is only putting out 320+ rwhp @ 8 PSI. His hp seems low and thus the lower TQ numbers. Give the man a break.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:08 PM
blubyu

Originally posted by whosdady
Not all of us have poor TQ numbers. He is only putting out 320+ rwhp @ 8 PSI. His hp seems low and thus the lower TQ numbers. Give the man a break.
I don't see how you can say his numbers are low...Is there another kit to compare numbers with on the sedan? His motor dyno was only 217whp(with crawford plentum, and injen) meaning he's about 20whp shy of the stock 350z all motor numbers.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:36 AM
joust75

I like the HP numbers. Dont like Torque curve.

Remember folks this is a G35 sedan starting w/ 260 HP
Old 12-13-2003, 04:20 AM
zimbo

I think the key is to look at percentage gain rather than raw numbers. All dynos are different, all cars are different. But, fact is we're talking about an improvement of over 50% in HP. It's my opinion, of course, but I think we'll see a number of 350Zs with a couple of existing mods measure in the 370+ rwhp range with the Vortech kit without increasing the psi.

--Steve
Old 12-13-2003, 04:44 AM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think we will see many 350Z's with 370rwhp with the Vortech with only a few mods and 8psi. From what the release statement says, with 8psi it brings it up to 412HP and 355TQ at the crank. Minus the drivetrain loss that comes out to like 335 hp at the wheels. I think they will have to get a smaller pulley for sure to see ~370+rwhp. But that's just going by the crank estimate above, we won't really know for sure until we see an actual dyno with the Vortech on a 350Z.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:19 AM
zimbo

ravaz, you may be right about that.

As an aside, I find the variation in dyno numbers to be very interesting. I've seen more than one set of stock G35 sedan Dynoset results showing 240 rwhp and I've seen 350Z numbers in the 210 rwhp range. And, of course, there's the infamous 300 rwhp N/A dyno on this forum. I thought my 217 rwhp number was low based on the (albeit few) mods I had, but it's a lot more believable than any of those numbers.

Anyway, based on those variations about the only thing I can really conclude from my numbers (or anyone else's) is that my car is somewhat faster than it was before

Anyway, you're welcome to take the car for a spin around the block once I pick it up. It's no Z, but it'll do

--Steve
Old 12-13-2003, 06:05 AM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, your right, it is faster than it was before, and I'm sure you will really enjoy the new power The offer goes for you as well, you can take my car out for spin also. I should have her finished up by the end of next week. So hopefully by Christmas, she will be all dialed in and tuned.

-Bill
Old 12-13-2003, 01:43 PM
bigdaddy

guys...

i smell a raleigh area meet coming!!!

any suggestions?

sean
Old 12-13-2003, 01:48 PM
zimbo

Originally posted by bigdaddy
i smell a raleigh area meet coming!!!
I'm game just about any day but Sundays.

--Steve
Old 12-14-2003, 05:30 PM
infidsg35

How much was install/tuning?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:00 PM
snolden

Default G35 Sedan 6MT ECU

Technosquare has finished the ECU for the 6MT sedan. They found some disappointments in the results with the stock exhaust system. Their guinea pig is obtaining and aftermarket exhaust system and they should be good to go to release the ECU in the next week or so. Our variable capacity muffler is the culprit

I spoke to them on Friday and that is what they told me.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:17 PM
infidsg35

What do you mean variable capacity? What did they find and what will the changes be and how will it effect performance?

Quick Reply: Vortech Install... Final HP numbers!