Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Tuning my car and running into fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM
856_reilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning my car and running into fuel issue

Hey everyone. Well hears the issue I'm having, apparently I had the old style deachwrks injectors. They were taller then the revised ones. So they were cocked to the one side in turn was causing the injector not to sit right. In turn was leaking boost. Ok spaced them out, shaved the rail to fit with the cosworth and problem solved...
I don't have every single fact yet, I'm going tomorrow morning to talk about it in person with the tuner.Now one of the banks is running lean under load. If the car idles it's fine and all the air/fuel at idle is fine. Just at 2500 rpm is the one bank under load going lean. Were kinda stumped. Tuner said it sounds like one or two of the injectors are hanging up. He said the fuel regulator seems fine cause the other bank is fine. So were going to be taking the injectors out sending them to dechwerks to have a flow test done. In the mean time trying to figure out what else could be causing it. Does anyone have any ideas or input/help??????
Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 PM
856_reilly

Anybody got anything?????? were lost and need some help!!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What are the actual a/f readings on each bank at 2500rpm?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
What are the actual a/f readings on each bank at 2500rpm?
Tuner said he has a graph for me so tomorrow I should have all the specs. Do you have any idea's of to what it could be? I'm just stressed and worried that maybe somthing happen to the motor internally during breakin or even somthing with the motor that was built. The motor runs good and idles good tho, Even drives ggreat, just under load like I said it's getting lean. I don't know enough myself to start trying to pin pointing what it could be. I'm also not trying to get a huge bill on trying to find a fuel issue. If I do o well,but I'm trying not to ya know!!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 PM
GreenGoblin

So you have the old taller injectors and when your tightened the manifold it cuased the injectors to be smushed down because the spacers were not in correct?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:08 PM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
So you have the old taller injectors and when your tightened the manifold it cuased the injectors to be smushed down because the spacers were not in correct?
Yup,I didn't know I had the old style. I didn't know there were 2 different styles. So we spaced them out, shaved the rail to clear the cosworth and it was cool. When he started the tuning idle and all was ok. He got as high as 2500rpm and it was getting very lean on one of the banks. He didn't go any further cause of this. Now he said fuel pressure is good idle is good so he said he would like to start with checking the injectors. Send them back to DW to get a flow check. He said it sounds to him like a injector problem. He also said it could be somthing else he is just not sure yet.
I don't know enough about all this to even start figuring what could be wrong. It makes sense, but there bran new!!!! my luck and the luck I have been having with this car it's somthing else. Injector problem fine I can handel it. I'm concerend it inturnal!!!!!
O yea and he also asked me when I installed the return do I remember any pintched lines. I told him no. He just said that he is thinkg injector because the other side seems to be fine just the one side. So he said that it's getting fuel, the fuel is there from what he can see. Iduno

Last edited by 856_reilly; 08-12-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 PM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 856_reilly
Yup,I didn't know I had the old style. I didn't know there were 2 different styles. So we spaced them out, shaved the rail to clear the cosworth and it was cool. When he started the tuning idle and all was ok. He got as high as 2500rpm and it was getting very lean on one of the banks. He didn't go any further cause of this. Now he said fuel pressure is good idle is good so he said he would like to start with checking the injectors. Send them back to DW to get a flow check. He said it sounds to him like a injector problem. He also said it could be somthing else he is just not sure yet.
I don't know enough about all this to even start figuring what could be wrong. It makes sense, but there bran new!!!! my luck and the luck I have been having with this car it's somthing else. Injector problem fine I can handel it. I'm concerend it inturnal!!!!!
O yea and he also asked me when I installed the return do I remember any pintched lines. I told him no. He just said that he is thinkg injector because the other side seems to be fine just the one side. So he said that it's getting fuel, the fuel is there from what he can see. Iduno
Have you checked the injector harness and the connections?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:49 AM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Have you checked the injector harness and the connections?
No. Good idea tho. thanks!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, nothing really to say until we see how lean it is. also, which bank?

bank 2 (drivers) usually runs leaner. Could be so many things. What kind of fuel system do you have on?
could possibly be something blocking air from the rich bank making the other appear lean. Could be an injector issue but you could easily swap those injectors over to the other rails and test to see if the other bank becomes lean.

Do you have cats on the car? those can break up and clog causing a block in exhaust which screws with a/f also.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
856_reilly

Today I went to the shop. When I was talking to the tuner he was saying that when he was adding fuel bank 1 would b getting rich while bank 2 was getting lean. This was all at 2500 rpm (under load). At this point he is going to do a compression test and then remove the injectors and send them to DW to get a flow check.
I ask him if it were his car what would he think it is? He said he would be surprised if they DW called him and said they were ok. He also said not to say that thats for sure the problem, and I understood that. He said the motor wants to make power and from what he's seeing it's a fuel issue that is somthing mechanical. Now I didn't know I had the old style DW injectors so I'm not sure if somthinfg happened when I installed them cause they were kinda forced into the lower intake or not, but possible. I hoping it's just a injector problem and fixing a bad injector will fix the issue. What other things could be causing this guys? Here are some pics of the sheet he printed me

Old 08-13-2011, 04:45 PM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by binder
ya, nothing really to say until we see how lean it is. also, which bank?

bank 2 (drivers) usually runs leaner. Could be so many things. What kind of fuel system do you have on?
could possibly be something blocking air from the rich bank making the other appear lean. Could be an injector issue but you could easily swap those injectors over to the other rails and test to see if the other bank becomes lean.

Do you have cats on the car? those can break up and clog causing a block in exhaust which screws with a/f also.
I have a walboro 255,aam fuel return and no cats. See my cars at the shop so he is charging me to take the intake off and on. Your right I thought about swaping injectors and I'm gonna run that by him. Instead of sending them and waiting a whole week for them to do the check ya know.
As far as the other bank when he adds fuel bank1 wiil get rich and bank2 stays the same, When he removes fuel bank 1 gets leaner and 2 stays the same so as far as blocking , yes u could be right, but from what I'm explaining wouldn't you think thats probally not it? I duno See if these pics can tell you anything. Let me know what ya think? and let me know if ya think of anyother things you might think it is? ( If ya don't mind ) Thanks buddy!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:23 PM
856_reilly

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what EMS are you using?
if the car really went to 18:1 it would run like crap. is that the case? or is he just going by what the sensor is reading?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:46 PM
binder

first, why is he tuning load under 2500 rpms? i can see for cruise purposes but i never understood why people want to give their car hell at 2k rpms instead of just downshifting.

what is it doing at normal rpms for boost? i would try up higher where it starts to boost and see what it's doing.

bank differences could be a lot of things but i doubt it's with the fuel system. could be bent valves on 1 head or even just 1 cylinder dead causing a huge difference in a/f on that bank's o2 sensor.

he's using uprev so you can tune individual cylinders. have him reduce the rich bank to match the lean bank. If it stays consistent and there isn't anything mechanically wrong then i wouldn't worry.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM
856_reilly

Originally Posted by str8dum1
what EMS are you using?
if the car really went to 18:1 it would run like crap. is that the case? or is he just going by what the sensor is reading?
I'm guessing hes goin by the sensor. My a/f sensor is in bank 1 and his dyno wideband is in my bank 2. From what I understand it's not running like crappy.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 PM
binder

Originally Posted by 856_reilly
I'm guessing hes goin by the sensor. My a/f sensor is in bank 1 and his dyno wideband is in my bank 2. From what I understand it's not running like crappy.
well, he should either go by his wideband (prefered) or yours. Something is obviously wrong with 1 or the other. i would trust the dyno wideband before an aftermarket one already installed in the car.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM
856_reilly

first, why is he tuning load under 2500 rpms? i can see for cruise purposes but i never understood why people want to give their car hell at 2k rpms instead of just downshifting.

what is it doing at normal rpms for boost? i would try up higher where it starts to boost and see what it's doing.

bank differences could be a lot of things but i doubt it's with the fuel system. could be bent valves on 1 head or even just 1 cylinder dead causing a huge difference in a/f on that bank's o2 sensor.

he's using uprev so you can tune individual cylinders. have him reduce the rich bank to match the lean bank. If it stays consistent and there isn't anything mechanically wrong then i wouldn't worry.
I'm not sure why he's doing that. I know he was just doing adjustment before he started tuning. At normal rpms, I'm not really sure what you mean. I know it was around 6psi and thats when 2 was going to 18 and 1 was 11 to 12. he would add fuel and the ecu would add to all 6cyl rt? So it would get rich on 1 and 2 would stay lean and vise versa.
He is tuning on uprev so I'm not sure why he didn't try tuning each cyl. As far as bent valve wouldn't the car run like s**t? and the same for a dead cyl. cause the car runs good either at idle or even driving around. I also asked about all this and he said he douts it cause the car wants to make power. apparently at 2500 it was at 300 and change trq. So he said it's not like it dosen't want more.
As far as changing the rich bank I will ask him, but I think he said when he add the fuel it dose not change so if he were to do that make the rich bank match then add fuel I think what he was saying was it woulnt richin up.
God I hope there aint a internal problem
Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 PM
binder

6psi at 2500 rpms? that seems like a lot of boost for no rpms. what FI system is on this car?

which bank is going lean? if it truely went to 18:1 with 6psi of boost those rods probably wouldn't exist anymore. If the bank that is going lean is the one that your personal wideband is in then i'd say it's a junked wideband sensor.

i see from your post it's bank 2 (his sensor) going lean. Maybe he needs to calibrate his wideband or move his over to the other bank to see if the issue is still there.

Still hard to think that 6psi and 18:1 a/f the engine would stay together so i'm not entirely convinced it's a true a/f reading.

ALSO, you could have an exhaust leak upstream of the o2 sensor. that will cause an a/f sensor to read lean.

Last edited by binder; 08-13-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 PM
856_reilly

6psi at 2500 rpms? that seems like a lot of boost for no rpms. what FI system is on this car?

which bank is going lean? if it truely went to 18:1 with 6psi of boost those rods probably wouldn't exist anymore. If the bank that is going lean is the one that your personal wideband is in then i'd say it's a junked wideband sensor.

i see from your post it's bank 2 (his sensor) going lean. Maybe he needs to calibrate his wideband or move his over to the other bank to see if the issue is still there.

Still hard to think that 6psi and 18:1 a/f the engine would stay together so i'm not entirely convinced it's a true a/f reading.

ALSO, you could have an exhaust leak upstream of the o2 sensor. that will cause an a/f sensor to read lean.
I'm running the greddy 18g kit. He had one on there (his old sensor) and when he first realized it he ordered a new 1 just to be sure and it still was reading the same. exhaust leak yea your right could be now that I think about it. How would you go about looking for that? It's almost impossible to hear it and it's so tight up in there it's hard to see.
Am I right tho about the dead cyl or valve? Would it run like s**t?
That's what I'm really stressing about. I can deal with the issue and figure it out, I just really don't want a internal problem considering only 1700 mile on new motor.
I know internal is possible but I'm like wtf it would show different signs right?

Last edited by 856_reilly; 08-13-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:48 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like leak at the exhaust manifold...

Quick Reply: Tuning my car and running into fuel issue