Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SSR Engineering *Turbo Kit Pictures*

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 10:19 PM
HK$FairladyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohhhhh....ok thanks for the clarification bro.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:05 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Awsome! I would be in heaven if I can muster 400rwhp @ 7psi. I'm not worried about cats and have been running with them off for quite a while, will we be able to tune for no cats in this case? I can't recall what kinda FM you guys are looken at, any insight?

Keep up the great job, I'm looking at your kit very seriously!
--justin
Old 12-16-2003, 04:22 AM
Edretti

I can't recall what kinda FM you guys are looken at, any insight?
Forgive me if I am incorrect but I think he said GReddy. Or was that UR?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:09 AM
Ultimate Racing

Originally posted by SSR Engineering
Well no, not necessarily exhaust isn't a steady stream so you'll always have unequal "pressure" in the manifold, thats why it's called an exhaust pulse. Especially in typical log style manifolds like "power enterprise, greddy, even ultimate racing." But the thing is, thats what the collector is for, its to combine all three cylinders into one, making it "One" exhaust pulse so to speak.

But yes, equal length manifolds help spool time. also exhaust velocity is determined by heat, thats why stainless steel has been dubbed the best exhaust material. Manifolds like "Greddy or Ultimate Racing," (Mild Steel) won't retain as much heat as a Stainless steel manifold like, ours or power enterprise. That is unless they pay for a ceramic coating or some other form of heat coating.
I am willing to bet that our choice of manifold material retains more heat and will be more durable than any tubular stainless steel manifold. Turbular stainless steel manifolds are great for full-race applications that see a minimum amount of on-time, but for a turbocharged daily driver I would never use it. This is why we went with a HEAVY gauge steel as opposed to a thin stainless.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:59 AM
SlamMan

Uh-oh! It's on now.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Manifolds like "Greddy or Ultimate Racing," (Mild Steel) won't retain as much heat as a Stainless steel manifold like, ours or power enterprise
How do you quantify this? I am no metalurgist, but mild steel is denser than stainless, and thus a better insulator when comparing two pipes of equal thickness.

What gauge, grade of stainless is going to be used?

Adam
Old 12-16-2003, 01:38 PM
SSR Engineering

Originally posted by Ultimate Racing
I am willing to bet that our choice of manifold material retains more heat and will be more durable than any tubular stainless steel manifold. Turbular stainless steel manifolds are great for full-race applications that see a minimum amount of on-time, but for a turbocharged daily driver I would never use it. This is why we went with a HEAVY gauge steel as opposed to a thin stainless.

My 2 cents.
FYI we are running a VERY thick stainless as a matter of fact, also we won't see any cracking because we have mounts as well, so the weight is distributed evenly, and another thing. HEAVY gauge mild steel will still conduct up to 200% more heat then ANY stainless material without any coating.

Last edited by SSR Engineering; 12-16-2003 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:41 PM
SSR Engineering

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
How do you quantify this? I am no metalurgist, but mild steel is denser than stainless, and thus a better insulator when comparing two pipes of equal thickness.

What gauge, grade of stainless is going to be used?

Adam
Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector. This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:52 PM
supra crazy

Does this mean it is better or worse to have a steel header then a stainless steel one?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:54 PM
SSR Engineering

In my opinion it's always better to have a stainless header, in fact they flow better, better heat retention (good for exhaust scaveging) look better etc.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

what is very thick? what kind of stainless is being used?

Adam
Old 12-16-2003, 07:27 PM
ZMike

this is getting interesting. i have ALWAYS heard that stainless steel turbo manifolds were never good for street cars. i've seen a great deal of stainless manifolds that have cracked on turbo hondas and dsms....and these manifolds from reputable companies like Hytech, Rev Hard, and Kooks.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:39 PM
ZMike

Originally posted by SSR Engineering
Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector. This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency.
nice copy and paste guys.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/header_main.htm
Old 12-17-2003, 01:45 AM
SSR Engineering

Originally posted by ZMike
nice copy and paste guys.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/header_main.htm
actually we got that from our source of materials, burns stainless.
www.burnsstainless.com

However, SS is considered to be the best material for manifold making, therefore making it the most expensive. That could be a reason people knock it. But take in consideration the most powerful street cars almost always use Stainless Manifolds
-Skylines
-Supras
-RX7s
-Viper TTs
-Vette TTs

The list goes on, but there is a reason behind it, and if you read above you can get a small example of why it's used on High HP applications.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:42 AM
ZMike

ok, but you still haven't disclosed what grade or gauge stainless you are using. according to the link you provided for Burns Stainless 304 is good for naturally aspirated setups:

304 is the most inexpensive and available stainless in the 300 series. It is suitable for normally-aspirated header applications, and has been successfully used by many racing teams. It does not have the high temperature fatigue resistance that 321 does, but is considerably less costly and much more available. Most 304 tubing these days has the dual designation of 304/304L.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Stainless is a great material to use, without a doubt. However, given the type of power levels one will realistically achieve with a Z engine, and the relative length of the manifold, I don't think stainless is the absolute essential material in this case. Certainly makes things far more expensive. I would argue probably the best material to use for a street car would be cast iron, though it also gets expensive to make and difficult for most smaller scale manufacturers to do well.

The kit does sound interesting though, and something we might be interested in offering customers, but would love to know the exact specs of the stainless steel being used.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:34 AM
SSR Engineering

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Stainless is a great material to use, without a doubt. However, given the type of power levels one will realistically achieve with a Z engine, and the relative length of the manifold, I don't think stainless is the absolute essential material in this case. Certainly makes things far more expensive. I would argue probably the best material to use for a street car would be cast iron, though it also gets expensive to make and difficult for most smaller scale manufacturers to do well.

The kit does sound interesting though, and something we might be interested in offering customers, but would love to know the exact specs of the stainless steel being used.
Well the reasons you see Stainless on High end cars is because in its natural state it acts as it has a ceramic coating or some sort of Heat coating. Some other things I should point out it is, the flow of stainless is un-matched by cast-iron or mild steel. We trust our stainless on 1000+ HP Supras and 600+WHP Skylines especially equal length . The exact specs will be released later.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:06 AM
little_rod

In this trend, you said to expect 400 rwhp, is that with stock exhaust and everything else being stock other than the TT kit???
Old 12-22-2003, 06:22 PM
little_rod

bump for answer.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:25 PM
SSR Engineering

Originally posted by little_rod
In this trend, you said to expect 400 rwhp, is that with stock exhaust and everything else being stock other than the TT kit???
Our test car has the fujitsubo exhaust installed, so we are planning to hit it with that.

I definitely wouldn't suggest having any turbo kit with a stock exhaust, any exhaust out there like the apexi, fujitsubo, amuse all should be good to at least 400WHP. However, a custom 3'' Turbo exhuast will yield more power and slightly different boost patterns (faster spooling) then any N/A exhaust.

Last edited by SSR Engineering; 12-22-2003 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: SSR Engineering *Turbo Kit Pictures*