Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Total D's 18G build......Finally!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
I think they used the standard 3782 but they had stock headers on it so I would assume it would be crushed by that tiny header outlet flow.
I read that they had one non stock header to clear the downpipe or something.

Where's RUDE? He knows what happened with that car I think.

I also think that the car made 906 did it with a 74mm or something rather and not the gt37. There's no way a gt37 would make 900rwhp on a 3.5 liter on a halfway legitimate dyno.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Total D

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I think my biggest issue with going to a different turbo will be location. As the GT37 is a very tight fit, where it sits now. 900+rwhp would be nice haha.

Looking forward to seeing what she does when I get her back though. Have a quite a few plans for her so we will see. I need to do something about the axles big time as well. I know the stockers are not going to last very long.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the PL car ran stock manifolds up to the GT37. After that they ran a custom driver's side header to clear the downpipe on the 76mm.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the PL car ran stock manifolds up to the GT37. After that they ran a custom driver's side header to clear the downpipe on the 76mm.
This is what they have on their website. Stock headers gt37r and 1 modified header on the drivers side. Personally I think that says something about a company that only changes 1 header......

Originally Posted by Total D
I think my biggest issue with going to a different turbo will be location. As the GT37 is a very tight fit, where it sits now. 900+rwhp would be nice haha.

Looking forward to seeing what she does when I get her back though. Have a quite a few plans for her so we will see. I need to do something about the axles big time as well. I know the stockers are not going to last very long.
To get a larger turbo in there you would have to do what Hal did and use a custom radiator that doesn't extend all the way across. I think that would be awesome so you can showcase a nice giant turbo. The new 6766 would be a good one to use
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Total D

This is what they have on their website. Stock headers gt37r and 1 modified header on the drivers side. Personally I think that says something about a company that only changes 1 header......

To get a larger turbo in there you would have to do what Hal did and use a custom radiator that doesn't extend all the way across. I think that would be awesome so you can showcase a nice giant turbo. The new 6766 would be a good one to use

Yea, I was thinking about that. Same thing we had to do to the Evo. Radiator definitely gets in the way of things. How would the 6766 be any better than what I have now? Wouldn't my turbo and that one be very similar? I was thinking more of GT4202 or equivalent. I'll have to play around and see what maps will work best with my setup over what I currently have.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:47 PM
binder

gt37 is about the size of the 62mm precision turbos. Since there isn't much comparing on our platform look at supras and evos that run all those turbos. When you compare their testing of gt35's 37's, precision 62's and 67's you will see the power from the precisions will be far greater because they put a higher flowing turbine wheel which better matches the compressor housings.

Garrett fanboys talk about how the compressor wheel is the same size as the precisions which is true but they forget that once you run out of flow on the turbine you lose efficiency in the comp wheel.

Reid was pushing over 700hp on his supra with the newest 6266 turbo which was more power than the old 6765 he had on it was. So those new 66 wheel turbines must have a great design to push that much more power out of a small compressor wheel.

From the evo and supra crowd these precision billet turbos are efficient up to the mid/upper 30psi range. With a slipping clutch i'm already 652hp at 20psi on my car. That was at 6000 rpm (since the clutch let go). I'm confident when I get back on the dyno with this new clutch the same boost would actually climb further since I had 1500 rpms left so it should be around 700hp at 20psi which still having about 10-15 psi more of efficient power making boost.

The gt4088r fell short of the power produced with the 6765 so the gt37 should obviously be less than the gt40r. gt42r would be a huge jump from the gt37 but it will produce a lot of power. That is the turbo hal used on his car. Quite a bit of lag but top end drag car power was awesome. I think he was high 800's on the gt42.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Total D

Picking the car up Wednesday!!!

Yea I have been looking into the Precision turbos. Then I saw FP4205 HTA (1200rwhp capable), that made 904rwhp on a stock block supra. It will work with my setup because of the V-band housing. Precision doesn't have one for the 7000 series turbos. Not really wanting to use a 4 bolt setup, plus the tial housings save a lot of room.

Here is the current status of the car.

Will have more pics when I pick it up Wednesday.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 AM
binder

Nice looking car.

Basing choices off of performance on a supra platform is a pretty close estimate of what it will do on our engines. We have 1/2 a liter more so we will flow a little more exhaust and therefore will loose a little power from a specific turbo but it is pretty close.

That HTA sounds like a good choice for your goals.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Total D

Thanks Jeff.

I'm still toying around with some other ideas, but right now it looks like the best option. I wonder how much a difference a 1/2 of liter will make in power. I mean spool should be a little more responsive over a 3L. I have some time to think about everything. First thing is to max out the 37 HTA I have.

Another issue I may run into is radiator setup. Might have to run a half size radiator like most honda and evo's run, when they use big turbos.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Total D

Got a shot at the booty from the paint shop

Old 09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
supraturboman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh that's sweet. very very nice
Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Total D

Thanks man!!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:51 AM
binder

Thanks Jeff.

I'm still toying around with some other ideas, but right now it looks like the best option. I wonder how much a difference a 1/2 of liter will make in power. I mean spool should be a little more responsive over a 3L. I have some time to think about everything. First thing is to max out the 37 HTA I have.

Another issue I may run into is radiator setup. Might have to run a half size radiator like most honda and evo's run, when they use big turbos.
Power wise they are pretty close to what we run in moderate power levels (500-600 ranges) but i'm not really how much difference it would make up at the high hp levels where exhaust flow would be different. Probably still pretty similar if I was to take a guess.

Spool is about the same if not a little faster on the supra due to the fact that the turbo on the supra is usually right off the manifold verses our front or mid mount kits that have a few feet of exhaust piping.

So the supra platform is a good quick comparison when trying to decide turbo size and output.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Total D

Everything is for sell...Momentum Turbo kit, Momentum manifolds, Momentum single exhaust, haltech with harness, ID 1000cc injectors, RPS twin. Threads have been created in their appropriated areas.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM
binder

Everything is for sell...Momentum Turbo kit, Momentum manifolds, Momentum single exhaust, haltech with harness, ID 1000cc injectors, RPS twin. Threads have been created in their appropriated areas.

Thanks
Jeremiah
reason?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Total D

Well for one, the kit is not going to make the numbers I really want to hit. Time for something different you could say. Also, I just have some other obligations I need to take care of as well.

Hint: Stay tuned
Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
binder

Ic, was it ever dynoed? Get a bp kit. It will produce the power
Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Total D

Ic, was it ever dynoed? Get a bp kit. It will produce the power
Not on race gas, numbers in my sig are the current numbers. I looked at those and they look great. I have some time to think though. Goal is definitely to go over the 1krwhp mark. So we shall see.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 PM
binder

Not on race gas, numbers in my sig are the current numbers. I looked at those and they look great. I have some time to think though. Goal is definitely to go over the 1krwhp mark. So we shall see.
oh, so no longer a street vehicle. You will probably want a midmount kit with a 76mm turbo. I think sasha made the piping for it to fit.

A set of 62mm twins would work nicely for that power as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Total D

oh, so no longer a street vehicle. You will probably want a midmount kit with a 76mm turbo. I think sasha made the piping for it to fit.

A set of 62mm twins would work nicely for that power as well.
It'll still be a street car, when I decide to pull the trigger on what I want to do. Both options are great to be honest and both what I have been thinking about. Before any of this can happen though, I need to sell the Momentum kit.

Quick Reply: Total D's 18G build......Finally!!!!!!