Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

350z single turbo tuning problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011 | 06:11 AM
hellaz33

Default 350z single turbo tuning problems

Hi everyone I just installed a powerlab single turbo kit on my 2006 350Z and it is now at the tuner in CT awaiting a tune. We are working on a problem we are having with the fuel delivery. The injectors were just sent out to deatschwerks for flow bench testing because we were not getting consistency from the injectors acrooss all cylinders. my tuner said that when he first started my car after i dropped it off it sounded like it was running bad almost on three cylinders. he came up with the injector inconsistency and recomended i send them out. Deatschwerks responded quickly and said that they tested the injectors and they checked out just fine. They are currently sending the original injectors back to me and now im looking for other causes to this problem. Any Ideas on where to start now that ive cancelled out the injectors??? for those not familiar with the kit as far as fuel upgrades it upgrades the injectors to 600cc and comes with a new walbro 255 lph fuel pump. I chose to stay returnless as this is how the 350z comes stock but i slightly modified the swirl jet and the pressure regulator (both stock) to accomadate for the bigger pump. This was done via detailed instructions on how to accomadate the walbro 255.
Any ideas on where to go next with the diagnosis would really help me and my tuner THANX GUYS Collin
Old 10-27-2011 | 07:03 AM
brandon7219

prolly should have put this in the FI section lulz
Old 10-27-2011 | 08:05 AM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by brandon7219
prolly should have put this in the FI section lulz
It's his first post on this forum and his question is more about fuel pressure issues as opposed to boost or turbos themselves.
Old 10-27-2011 | 08:47 AM
G3po

What is you tuning solution?

Uprev , Haltech etc?

If it's not the injectors themselves , then more likely somewhere in the control loop of the injectors.
Old 10-27-2011 | 09:05 AM
hellaz33

The car was running fine before i installed the powerlab kit on it. As far as fuel delivery all i changed was i added a walbro 255 lph pump and bigger injectors 600 cc deatschwerks. I had to modify the regulator and the swirl jet to lower idle fuel pressure this was done via instructions on installing a walbro 255 in a 350z. My tuner has yet to get the injectors back to try some other stuff to it but now im wondering what it is now that we know the injectors are fine. Igniton wise all i changed out were he plugs and i used one step colder ngks. And as far as engine management i am running a UTEC turbo xs. I posted just in case someone with a similar kit or someone who has turbod a lot of 350z would have came across an issue like this before. At this point my car is just sitting at the tuner waiting on the injectors to come back so they can try some more stuff but they still say that my car isn't running well enough for them to tune it. The tuning shop i chose is in CT and they are mostly subaru guys but they have done a twin turbo 350z and also they are very familiar with the UTEC as that is what they were using in a lot of the subarus. I know these guys are more than capable to get this done im just trying to help them out a bit to get my car running again sooner. Any info is appreciated thanx guys...Collin

Last edited by hellaz33; 10-27-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2011 | 09:14 AM
str8dum1

SO what is the problem?

be specific. sounds like its running on 3 cylinders? or is only running on 3 cylinders? did you check your fuel pressure? did you make sure all your coils are working?
Old 10-27-2011 | 09:23 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

get rid of the UTEC.
They have since ditched this as the tuner.
Osiris. That is the new software being used for Powerlab.

In the meantime, Id call Turbo XS and talk to them.. you didnt just install injectors and a turbo.. you installed a piggyback EMS that only really works when its at WOT. And its not plug and play. It needs a full tune w someone who knows UTEC very very well. SO you gotta ask....
Does your tuner know UTEC very very well? Or are you/he expecting the provided base map to operate as if it was a bolt on out of the box kit?
It is not intended to be such. Base maps get it running safely.. then you must bring it to a tuner to have it tuned to your cars characteristics.

Sounds like you're new etc... not harping on ya.. just giving you some insight on to what you have purchased.

Did you buy the powerlab kit new? Used? From anyone who may be a member here and we may know of his car etc?

Fuel question or not, the FI section is the way to go.. all these isses when NA change quite a bit when FI is added to the mix anyways. You will get the thread browsed by the right people by posting it in the FI section.

Last edited by bmccann101; 10-27-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2011 | 10:00 AM
hellaz33

Yea i am a noob to these forums. My tuner is familiar with the UTEC systems that are run in subarus. My tuner is ECS in CT and they are one of the best in subaru swaps and tunes. they have done a 350z twin turbo in the past but mostly subarus. I know that they have worked with the UTEC a lot tho for the subies and im not sure if it would differ much for a 350z. As for the kit i purchased it new in Feb from intense motorsports and i got it in july. everything was new out of the box. I downloaded the 550cc turbonetics base map from the turbo xs website just to drive the car over to the tuner staying out of boost. the car didn't run well but it made it over there. now we are ironing out the kinks. This kit is very high quality but powerlab messed up the fabrication of the exhaust and charge piping in a couple areas that i had my tuner fix (not cheap) and i can't get intense on the phone and they never answer my emails so im looking for support elsewhere with tuning issues.
Old 10-27-2011 | 10:14 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

well sir you are in luck then.

My cars there now. They ahve had some issues altely that are now resolved, but its like starting over really..

I will PM Pete at IMR ( Intensesales) this thread link and He will likely get back to you directly within a few days. I will be stopping by there at lunch as well.
Old 10-27-2011 | 10:48 AM
hellaz33

Yea Pete was the last guy i spoke to over there through e mail and it was about stance coilovers that i haven't recieved yet ordered about 3 to 4 months ago. I had to file a dispute for a chargeback on those because i can't get a hold of anyone anymore over there. The communication started off good when i was buying stuff haha but then it seemed like nobody cared to talk to me anymore. they used to even call me back haha.
I saw the post they put up about financial problems not too long ago and I was sorry to hear that. I just wish i could get a hold of someone to help me get this turbo kit they sold me up and running. I also wish i could inform them of the mistakes they made on my kit that i had to pay out of pocket to have fixed. Some pretty silly stuff too i mean the housing for my MAF was welded into the charge pipe backwards!!! I went to start my car up for the first time after the install was complete and it wouldn't start. A friend of mine( who also owns a 350z) suggested to flip the MAF around because he had installed his backwards one time and had the same starting issue. I explained to him that it only screwed in one way and it wouldn't fit the other way but he insisted i try it. When i flipped it around and taped it into the pipe the car fired up right away.
Also the v band flange on the bottom of my up pipe is not an exact match to the mating flange on the mid pipe causing my v band not to clamp properly. V bands are sold with identical flanges with them usually so the clamp is perfect for the flanges im not sure how this got messed up. My tuner got it to clamp decently enough to tune he thinks but before that i started off with a big exhaust leak and i broke two clamps (70$ later) before i realized one flange was thicker than the other.
Sorry If it seems that i'm venting i'm just very passionate about this build and its been frustrating lately. Needless to say i really need to talk to these guys but until i do im looking to the community for advice on this major problem of just getting the thing running ok to tune. Hal i think his name is from dynosty pmd me about more and more UTEC's having issuesand told me about osiris and haltech. He offered to help me if i needed it i am looking into this now. Just wish i had known that the UTEC was dated and i would have just bought the tuner kit and then went a different route with my engine management and fuel delivery. If my tuner can't find a fix for this issue when they get the injectors back i will likely get rid of the UTEC and go with osiris or haltech. I really hope they can make it work though because if it is the UTEC it looks like getting a refund will be tough considering IntensePower is having issues.

Last edited by hellaz33; 10-27-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2011 | 11:41 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

They ahvent officially changed the UTEC out. It was the bomb for awhile.
But TURBO XS discontinued it. IMR bought the last several available. My car is actually their first w the Osiris, and its the guniea pig actually.

The wastegate position will be slightly changed as well. As w any product, thers always upgrades. At least its not rediculous like computers and cell phones being obsolete in 6 months..

nah i hear ya, ive had my pitfalls w them too, but they are good people.. business just throws curve ***** at you sometimes. Sometimes you ahve to deal w it... and they did. Sucked for them too.
But Youre right to be upset. it is what it is. Youre being far cooler about it than most ppl including myself sometimes even.. but im good now.

But thar be enough angry IMR threads lately.. pretty soon thats all your thread will be about whether its you talking or others haha.. lots of people jump on them pretty hard... and lately, its more rightfully so, but in the end, all will be worked out. They ahve gone thru some real tuff bs behind the scenes.. again, not your concern really. I hear ya.

Again, I PMd pete but hes been back n forth w me all day on my build.. so blame me if he doesnt call right away.

Last edited by bmccann101; 10-27-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2011 | 12:13 PM
str8dum1

remember, all vendors are trying to upsell you. I ran UTEC for years with zero issues. Its simple to tune and have good safety features.

you still havent told us what the problem is?
Old 10-27-2011 | 12:27 PM
hellaz33

str8dum1 the problem i'm having is that my tuner can't get my car to run well enough for him to tune it. I know that all my coils work the car ran perfect before the install and i only swapped plugs. After i completed the install of this kit i drove it gently over to the tuner on a turbonetics 550cc base tune i downloaded off the turbo xs website. The car ran well enough to get it over there but when my tuner started it he said it sounded as if it was only running on 3 cylinders. He said that they pulled the spark plugs and saw that some were drenched with fuel others seemed almost dry. He told me the injectors seemed to be firing inconsistently and had me send them to the manufacturer for testing. Deatschwerks is now sending them back saying that they tested them and they are fine. I'm waiting on the injectors to get back to my tuner so we can try some other stuff but thought i would ask around the forums.

Last edited by hellaz33; 10-27-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2011 | 12:39 PM
hellaz33

My tuner was also worried that i may have done damage to my motor from running so rich on the way over to their shop. My car ran perfect before i decided to go FI so i had no existing problems. My tuner said that when he first looked at it the engine bay reeked of fuel and that he heard knocking coming from the engine bay for the 10 seconds that he had it running (didn't want to run it long cause of noise and it was running poorly). He said that he couldn't really say for sure it was a bearing or engine related or if it could just be something banging against the body possibly the downpipe. Its Really tight in there and i could see it being something close to the frame banging. And since my motor wasn't running well it could be from it kinda shuttering around in there. But at the same time he said that because i was running so rich gas could have leaked down past the rings and into the oil fouling it. I'm definetely a bit worried but i'm hoping after we get the motor to run properly and smoothly we find that its just something banging the frame and we can adjust. My tuner was shaking his head when i told him that someone from turbo xs told me it would be ok to drive over to the tune shop running rich on a 550cc turbonetics base map with 600cc injectors in my car.

Last edited by hellaz33; 10-27-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2011 | 01:32 PM
IntenseSales
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hellaz33 sending you a pm as well, hopefully we can figure it out. I will say it may have to start with a call from your tuner to Turbo XS and go from there. It really does sound like either an EMS or tuner issue (both maybe)
Old 10-27-2011 | 01:36 PM
deanfootlong

so all you did was bolt on a turbo kit, put new injectors/pump in, and plugged in an ecu and FOR SURE three cylinders are not firing? i would try unplugging the utec and using just the factory ecu to see how it sounds during idle like that. great way to test if its the utec having a problem. your car should be able to idle that. i used to do it with my 600cc dw's and 255 with return system. its a great way to see if its an ecu prob or not.

try that and then go from there.
Old 10-27-2011 | 02:00 PM
hellaz33

Sounds like a good idea i will go to the tune shop tomorrow and try this out quick just changin the stock ecu back quick.
and if it runs ok and i know its the UTEC i'll have my tuner call turbo xs up. My tuner should b pretty well accustomed to this UTEC by now tho assuming the subaru ones are similar to the 350z units because my tuner has tuned hundreds of subarus many of them using a UTEC
Old 10-27-2011 | 02:11 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by str8dum1
remember, all vendors are trying to upsell you. I ran UTEC for years with zero issues. Its simple to tune and have good safety features.

you still havent told us what the problem is?
No ones trying to upsell anything.
Where that came from, no one will ever know but you.
I mentioned it is no longer what they use in the kit and that the UTEC is no longer made. I also mentioned it sounds like a tune issue and not fuel system related per his first post.

Pretty much it.

I repeat once again. Im not the vendor. I work for a friggn bank.

btw OP, Pete has posted in your thread. I delivered your message to them by hand today.
Old 10-27-2011 | 02:14 PM
IntenseSales
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^ He really did! Glad to see the ball rollin' on the Utec now. Hopefully it's an easy fix and she's up in boost sooner than later!

Keep in touch via PM if you need or I'll check in on this thread as I can as well.
Old 10-27-2011 | 02:17 PM
str8dum1

sounds liek your tuner is already creating himself a way out if something goes wrong. That would make me very nervous. There's no saying that he wont cause damage but is already pointing fingers at you if something does happen.

that 550cc map would put you pretty close under vacuum and in no way rich enough to wash the cylinders.

Did you notice the symptoms driving over to the shop that the tuner is talking about?

The VTC can make a racket for a few seconds after startup. Who knows if that's what he heard.

Go back to stock ECU would be 1st step. Car should fire right up and idle nice and smooth. If it doesnt, you need to check fuel pressure.

Do you have the UTEC properly grounded?

Quick Reply: 350z single turbo tuning problems