Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ECU for boosted applications

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 01:11 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, I'm only going to say this once. I'm not promoting anything. You are trying to promote something by claiming falsehoods about another product. I'm simply letting everyone know what the J&S really can do, because you are wrong about it...plain and simple. I hope your unit is great, and solves everybody's problems and a super low price point. Just because I corrected you about what the J&S does, don't assume I don't like your unit. I'm not claiming that the J&S is a replacement for your unit, but it does do a lot more than you said.

The J&S is a timing controller and knock detector. Of course it can't control fuel delivery, and nobody would expect it to. But, contrary to what you are claiming, the J&S is very tunable. In fact, it is infinitely variable from 0 to 2 degrees retard per pound of boost. The point at which boost retard starts is also infinitely variable from 0 to 15 psi boost. The unit is not locked into only a few settings. There is an additional feature, which has four choices, called rpm retard and this retards timing an additional amount from 5250 rpm up when boosting. The knock control is also configurable, with either 10 or 20 degrees total knock retard and individual cylinder retard or all cylinders retard. To say it isn't tunable is just not true.

I don't know why you consider this nonsense. People spreading ******** about things they don't even understand is nonsense. I'll tell you what, I'm done with this so go ahead and post whatever you want. In the real world, facts are not nonsense. If you want to promote your unit, here's a piece of advice...let "THE MAN" do the talking because otherwise you're going to have problems selling them. Then again, I may be wrong because it seems like people here really just like to throw money at things and jump in without any understanding. So have at it...
Old 12-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Daking, or any ATI'er in general really, I just started to look into what the max boost capabilites of the c-2 are in conjunction w/the VQ35, does any1 here know?
Old 12-27-2003, 02:29 PM
jesseenglish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the C-2 is spinning at about 70% of the max RPM of the compressor, but not sure. Best bet would be to call ATI.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:02 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by Juztin
Daking, or any ATI'er in general really, I just started to look into what the max boost capabilites of the c-2 are in conjunction w/the VQ35, does any1 here know?
They (ATI) says it will do 30 psi..The VQ35 in stock form will not handle anywhere near that level...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:01 PM
daking350
Banned

Here is an update...My car will go in on Feb 6th or the 13th to get fitted with this ECU piggyback unit...I will be tuning it with a 9lb pulley and still utilizing the Aeromotive DFMU for fuel supply and the piggyback to do timing and fine tune the A/F ...I will have 4 of these units for sale initially with 2 maps programmed for the ATI procharger with a 9lb pulley..This should safely put well over 400hp to the wheels...
This unit can be tuned by the user for further mods and future plans are to run it with either extra injector or larger ones and eliminating the DFMU...The possibilities are very optamistic with this unit..Like I said I will have 4 units initially available pre-tuned with 2 generic base maps as a starting point for further tuning and mods..Please post if there is interest in this unit as I can expect pricing to be compeditive to Technosquare and Xede...Expect the first few to be available by the 2nd week of march...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:15 PM
daking350
Banned

Here is my initial dyno with the 8LB pulley..I picked up over 40 hp
@ 5500rpms!!!Cant wait to see me break 420hp with the 9LB pulley and the piggyback...
Attached Thumbnails ECU for boosted applications-dyno.jpg  
Old 01-27-2004, 07:46 PM
zimbo

Am I correct that the dyno you posted is not SAE corrected?

--Steve
Old 01-27-2004, 08:09 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by zimbo
Am I correct that the dyno you posted is not SAE corrected?

--Steve
That is correct..Why do you ask???
Old 01-28-2004, 05:03 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Probly because if it's not corrected, then your measuring true power to the wheels. It's not correct for 0' asl, or "ideal" weather conditions in which case if you correct it, for wahtever weather factors were present @ the time of the dyno & altitude you dyno'ed at, you could pick up more power on the graph.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:11 AM
zimbo

SAE correction makes it easier to do apples-to-apples comparisons from run to run on the same machine (and to an even greater degree on two dyno machines at different altitudes). If you have a dyno done on a dry winter day and then another done on a humid day in summer, SAE correction will attempt to account for those differences. Elevation differences are also accounted for.

Incidentally, when I had my last dyno done, the SAE-corrected number was 355, but the uncorrected number was 370. On a different day, at different altitude and/or different temperature etc, the SAE corrected number might be higher than the raw number. Just depends on conditions.

--Steve
Old 01-28-2004, 08:36 AM
daking350
Banned

Well just to Clarify I am at Sealevel in NJ getting the most optimum conditions possible...Keep in mind this is a baseline DYNO without the ECU piggyback I am having installed..I am expecting it to smooth out the HP by fine tuning the A/F ratios to a steady ratio all the way through and correct the timing to allow me to push 425 whp with the 9lb pulley..Give me a few weeks to post reulst good or bad I have nothing to hide!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 AM
zimbo

I wasn't trying to suggest that your numbers were inflated. Only that for best comparison purposes of your own dynos from run to run you might consider SAE correction.

Either way, keep up the great work. I for one am always glad to see guys like you experimenting and making a solid contribution to the forum.

--Steve
Old 01-28-2004, 03:21 PM
12SecZ

but it is the RIGHT way to do it instead of that BAND AID box ATI gives!!
I see ATI is your "sponsor" now (in your sig). How did you swing that?

In the Dec 2003 edition of Import Tuner there is an entire lenghty article on how sponsored vehicle owners should represent themselves and the Sponsor, how to become one, how to promote etc. It might be as good read for you since you appear to be new to sponsorship. It is about 10 pages long and very interesting, Yuki is in their with an Apexi Z drifting.

Good luck with this setup keep us posted.

As to SAE corrections, what happens to your TQ at 5500 rpm's and then it just dies out flat. Did it sence knock or what?

Did he stop at 6200 rpm's or what, hard to tell. Good numbers!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:48 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by 12SecZ
I see ATI is your "sponsor" now (in your sig). How did you swing that?

In the Dec 2003 edition of Import Tuner there is an entire lenghty article on how sponsored vehicle owners should represent themselves and the Sponsor, how to become one, how to promote etc. It might be as good read for you since you appear to be new to sponsorship. It is about 10 pages long and very interesting, Yuki is in their with an Apexi Z drifting.

Good luck with this setup keep us posted.

As to SAE corrections, what happens to your TQ at 5500 rpm's and then it just dies out flat. Did it sence knock or what?

Did he stop at 6200 rpm's or what, hard to tell. Good numbers!
The dip was it still running a little rich in that spot .My Dyno doesnt represent TQ I just did HP before tune and after tune..This dyno is only the DFMU...When I get the unit I should be able to Fine tune the dips where the DFMU changes slider positions...This is probably what happened there..The DFMU is a very Primative but effectful device,However when you want consistant and ACCURATE a/f/ #'s it might need some help..That is where MY piggyback will come in..As you can see in my Dyno how important Dyno tuning is..I only gained a FEW hp in the Maximum department,but look how rich I was running from 4000 rpms to 6000 rpms...I picked up a max of 42 hp in my powerband between 5000rpms and redline...I stopped at 6400 rpms only cause I didnt want to push it without the timing control just in case..Once I get my piggyback in I will be able to tune...Run the car and datalog my run on a laptop,play it back and make the needed adjustments..This is good for people that live in an everchanging climate..I can program 1 map for one environment and the second map for a different environment!!or one map for 91-93 octain and secong map for race gas 100+octain..Pretty neet if you ask me!!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 PM
daking350
Banned

Here is a close up of where I ran REALLY rich in blue and leaned it out a bit in red ...
The piggyback will allow for a very fine tune in this area and be most needed in the 5800-6800 rpm range..Especially with the 9lb pulley I plan to add...
Attached Thumbnails ECU for boosted applications-dyno2.jpg  
Old 01-28-2004, 03:57 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by daking350
The DFMU is a very Primative but effectful device
The DFMU is a big piece of steamy ****.......that's why everyone is chasing better fueling solutions......it's inadequate.......you know it, i know it, and your sponsor knows it
Old 01-28-2004, 04:16 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
The DFMU is a big piece of steamy ****.......that's why everyone is chasing better fueling solutions......it's inadequate.......you know it, i know it, and your sponsor knows it
It does what it does...Period..It raises fuel pressure based on Voltage..It is primative and basically it is like putting a larger fuel pump and larger injectors for about 1/3 of the price,but that is why I am toying with the idea of secondary injectors or larger..I prefer the secondaries over really big injectors..But as you know alot of people arent willing to pay the extra $$$$ for injectors so I am trying to utilize what we already have..The problem lies within the timing and not being able to correct it,you know it,I know it and yes ATI knows it..That is why they STRESS not to exceed 8lbs without addressing the timing...Most people have raised their rev limiter which will continue to advance the already agressive timing even further.That is bad news
Alot of people dont like the Aeromotive DFMU,but dont even know why they dont..Because they heard it sucks is usually the answer..What are your specific reasons for disliking it??
I know my reasons are the Vacume line going to the unit itself,I just dont trust it...

As for MAX Quoting me calling the Aeromotive DFMU a "band aid box" and trying to make a jesture about me representing my sponsor.....

You are correct,I did say that...And I as many others feel that way..The DFMU by itself is NOT sufficiant engine management for most people.(forget the fact that the technology has been around and used for years)To properly control an engine you need control of ALL variables..It just comes down to how much $$$$ are you willing to spend... Most people can not justify spending another $2000 for advanced engine management when they just spent $5000 for the Supercharger....That is why ATI gave the OPTION of the tuner kit(you supply the managment) or the complete kit(with the DFMU)..It was their business choice to do so, and our choice to buy it..No one forced me to do it...
Old 01-28-2004, 04:39 PM
12SecZ

I gave you the sponsorship article info with all due respect, not for yet another personalizing by you. Can you just keep the topics about our cars and not me?

I hope ATI and yourself have a long and prosperous partnership, they have a tough hill to climb and I was simply pointing out that comments like that can't help your sponsor, there was no intention or "gesture" to offend, just an article you can read about on the topic.

Why do I dislike the Aeromotive DFMU?

Because it goes from too rich to too lean too quick and could use a 6th slider to be more accurate. Also, even the stock 7 lb kit needs to address timing noit "8 lbs."

Have a nice evening and please try to relax.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:45 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by daking350
What are your specific reasons for disliking it??
i'm glad you asked

1) it offers no timing solution.......the Vortech split-second box does

2) The scale is totally whacked......if you read the Aeromotive manual it says that the scalar adjustment should correspond to your maximum boost level......but when you calibrate your scalar with a vacuum source, the scalar is at almost double what the manual says it should read.......really hi-tech ****

3) Each slider setting corresponds to a range of boost.......meaning that it starts out rich in the beginning of the range, and then goes leaner towards the end of the range....yet if you read the sales information for the DFMU, it makes no mention of this......in fact it says just the opposite.......it says that it has "the ability to provide “any” fuel curve throughout the power range."........and thats just straight bullsh!t

4) Since you've got 7psi and 5 sliders, thats a range of 1.4 pounds of boost per slider.....thats a pretty big range to be covered by the same fuel setting
Old 01-28-2004, 04:55 PM
12SecZ

Especially with the 9lb pulley I plan to add
It is actually 2 pulleys you need to change and they do not refer to them as "9 lb pulleys" so why would you? {They being your sponsor} and for good reason, mine make 11 lbs. This has been discussed to death in the count your pulley teeth thread, it's two pulleys that need to remain under 65 teeth total. You can make "9 lbs" with the stock poulleys at higher rpm's.

I think you and your "sponsor" should be on the same page if you are going to post representing them and their product.

DaKing,
Are you absolutely 100 % sure that ATI is your Sponsor (keeping in mind some of us call their quite often?)

Quick Reply: ECU for boosted applications