Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Veyron Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by konrad
Boost a pump
ya, i never understood this. Buy a pump that is cheap beacuse you don't want an expensive pump then spend an extra 400$ for a voltage increaser that doesn't make the flow as much as the bigger pump you could have purchased.

I say just buy the correct pump for your needs and cut down on all the extra bs.

Resmarted: I run a 4gauge wire back to a distribution block right next to my pump. From the distribution block to the pump I run 14g wire (less than a foot). I kept the 14g short so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I couldn't use anything else larger because it won't fit in the fuel pump connector.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
ya, i never understood this. Buy a pump that is cheap beacuse you don't want an expensive pump then spend an extra 400$ for a voltage increaser that doesn't make the flow as much as the bigger pump you could have purchased.

I say just buy the correct pump for your needs and cut down on all the extra bs.

Resmarted: I run a 4gauge wire back to a distribution block right next to my pump. From the distribution block to the pump I run 14g wire (less than a foot). I kept the 14g short so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I couldn't use anything else larger because it won't fit in the fuel pump connector.
Well the BAP was developed for non fuel return cars like the Cobra if I recall correctly. They controlled fuel rail pressure by changing the voltage the pump sees and driving or reducing the amperage/voltage to the pump. Somehow it was linked to the throttle pedal placement.
Then it got put into place because cobras could just bolt that in and extend the power they could make on oem pumps/drop in pumps without adding in an 'expensive' (mainly tedious to install) fuel return kit (think about it, rails, return line, fpr etc).
It makes sense for me, I can just run the veyron pump and then when I need more fuel for whatever reason, instead of switching pumps, going external or anything like that, I just wire in a box. I think it's one of those mods that people turn to because it's quick and easy. But you are totally right, it's better and cheaper to just set your car up the right way.

And thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll use the 10ga.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 PM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff I agree , its pointless to me , some pumps flow even less with higher voltage on higher pressure. The a340 flows less on 15.5v @80psi of pressure than it does at 14v.

Unless the chart I found is way off.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
binder

Resmarted: 10g should work good. So far that is the size my friends with high hp supras and dsm's run back to their pumps. I have the 4g because i ran stereo equipment when i first got the car and i'm too lazy to run another line back there. It was easy to just tap into it.

Ya, i understand the boost a pump on the stock systems but i was referring to spending time and money modifying the fuel setup and buying a fancy pump only to need something else that doubles the cost in order to get fuel out of it. I'm not sure who it was on here but someone was saying it's stupid to run a walbro 255 when you can run a bigger pump and put less strain on it so it's more reliable. Well that applies to here. Why run a pump at a voltage it's not supposed to run at when you can just put the bigger pump in. If it was a FREE add on ya, but for 400$ i think there are better ways to increase the fuel.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by binder
Resmarted: 10g should work good. So far that is the size my friends with high hp supras and dsm's run back to their pumps. I have the 4g because i ran stereo equipment when i first got the car and i'm too lazy to run another line back there. It was easy to just tap into it.

Ya, i understand the boost a pump on the stock systems but i was referring to spending time and money modifying the fuel setup and buying a fancy pump only to need something else that doubles the cost in order to get fuel out of it. I'm not sure who it was on here but someone was saying it's stupid to run a walbro 255 when you can run a bigger pump and put less strain on it so it's more reliable. Well that applies to here. Why run a pump at a voltage it's not supposed to run at when you can just put the bigger pump in. If it was a FREE add on ya, but for 400$ i think there are better ways to increase the fuel.
That'd be me LOL. The veyron pump IS a bigger pump . But in all serious-ness, the non boosted pump is perfect for my stock sleeve setup. I just wanted to show this info about what it can flow beyond stock voltages.
In retrospect, I'd be fine with just getting a 340, or a new 400. But A) I already bought this, and B) this thing will flow out to the limits of what our cars can do.

There is also the MSD pump booster, which I believe uses some kind of manifold boost reference so you can tun how much voltage to add vs psi, which is pretty neat and it should be a little bit cheaper than a BAP.

If I go pump boosting, I'll likely have an electrical engineering friend make the thing for me. They are crawling all over the place over here

The nice thing about a BAP system is even when you alternator dies or you run a/c stereo etc, you get absolute full voltage to your pump.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:54 PM
binder

that msd pump thing sounds pretty cool.

i just try to keep things as simple as possible. meth would have been plenty for my goal but the thought of having 1 more thing to go wrong in the system just makes me cringe so i went with dual pump and e85 so there are less things to go wrong. I've found over my years of building race bikes that **** fails all the time in the real world.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:48 PM
konrad

hey guys this is what I was talking about. DSport sent the A340 out to RC to flow rest it, here is the flow chart from the article I found.
Whats weird is that the numbers are close to what a dual pump flows

Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by konrad
hey guys this is what I was talking about. DSport sent the A340 out to RC to flow rest it, here is the flow chart from the article I found.
Whats weird is that the numbers are close to what a dual pump flows

I don't believe those numbers. No way a little in tanker like that could flow 1500whp @ 60psi, that has to be wrong.

Which is weird because I've subbd to dsport in the past and they were always pretty spot on. Although every once in a while the sh*t they come up with seems totally out the a** bull. This seems like one of those cases.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 AM
binder

ya, those seem inflated.

maybe charles will put one on a bench soon and test it.

Also, i think 90psi fuel pressure is the end. It drops by half when going from 90 to 95 psi. LOL
Old 12-18-2011, 11:25 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats the pressure relief valve

if i could run my base psi at 60 instead of 40, i could get a bunch more outta the injectors.

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-20-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Look at all you boost a pump bandwagon jumpers

And if you buy a bap for $400 you are a moron, look on mustang forums, i got my 40 amp bap for $180
Old 12-19-2011, 06:33 AM
str8dum1

haha, i had my bap for over 2 years.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 AM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
thats the pressure relief valve, same reason why walbros dont pump past 70psi.

if i could run my base psi at 60 instead of 40, i could get a bunch more outta the injectors.
how much boost do you run?

i have my base at 70psi to get these 1000's pushing the fuel but if the cutoff is at 95psi then i'm real close to it at 24psi of boost!

with my vortech setup and that FMU my fuel pressure gauge would bury 100psi easily. Maybe the inline walbro has a higher pressure relief.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Blackbird CPV35

thats the pressure relief valve, same reason why walbros dont pump past 70psi.

I modified the pressure relief in my dual walbros, evo guys have been doing it for years

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ng-walbro.html

Risky? maybe but I was running 2 modified walbros witha a kenne belle boost a pump at 17.5v so obviously risk wasnt a factor
Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 AM
str8dum1

They dont state which model pum pthey modified. The non-34x series, had a 75psi relief valve, the newer GSS34x, dont. They go til 90psi or so you can see that the current hp models dont drop off at 75 psi like the older models.
http://www.stealth316.com/images/flowtest-walbro.gif

Jason, you dont have flow number of your modified pump compared to the stock 255HP, do you? Also, did you mod your pumps before or after your maxxed out your 1200s?

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-20-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Resmarted

Jason, you dont have flow number of your modified pump compared to the stock 255HP, do you? Also, did you mod your pumps before or after your maxxed out your 1200s?
I'm not sure blackbird maxed out those injectors on gas, if I recall correctly he was running e85 when he made all that power... But I'm sure he can answer that better than I can! LOL
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 AM
str8dum1

ya of course on E85. Just curious as I have the same 1200s with the same /more hp and still have headroom, like only 70% IDC. I never did the pump mod so wondering when he did his.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Blackbird CPV35

ya of course on E85. Just curious as I have the same 1200s with the same /more hp and still have headroom, like only 70% IDC. I never did the pump mod so wondering when he did his.
I did it after we maxed out the 1200s, i never raised my base fuel pressure though. I think the cam setup was suspect on my 1st motor because I made 50 more hp on the same psi with my second motor and it had lower compression.

The only major thing i changed in the setup was the cams and pistons, I went from GTM stage 1 turbo cams to BC stage 3.

i would say that the 1200s could hit 700whp on a DD at 100% duty cycle on e85
Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 PM
binder

hmm, very interesting.

I'm over 95psi when adding the base pressure+boost but my a/f hasn't spiked at all. I wonder if i should lower my base fuel pressure.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:14 PM
str8dum1

you just dont need that much fuel then, ie the pumps can still supply enough for that HP at that fuel pressure. no reason to change your base fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: Veyron Fuel Pump