Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech setup question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 PM
peters350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech setup question

I've got a 2003 350z. It's got very low miles and is in great condition. I've been wanting to go FI for a while and have now narrowed my search down to a Vortech supercharger. I'm staying away from turbos since the engine is still stock and I really don't want to take the chance of ruining it any time soon. My thoughts were to get a Vortech tuner kit, Walbro 255lph pump, Deatschwerks 600cc injectors and perhaps step up to a 3.12" pulley. I would also get an Osiris dyno tune.

After having done a lot of research on the forums I thought this would be a pretty safe setup for a fun street car, I'm not looking to build a highway monster.

I went and spoke with a local tuner and he told me that the 3.12" pulley might be pushing the block too much. I've seen many members here running 3.12" and even the 2.87" pulleys on stock blocks given a proper tune. My question is, do you guys think I should worry about adding the 3.12" pulley if everything was tuned correctly?

He also told me I would have to upgrade my clutch. Is this an absolute necessity for what I want to achieve here?

BTW mods I've done so far are a plenum spacer and back half exhaust, ie stock headers and cats.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd just run the stock pulley and spend the money on a new clutch / fw and hfcs / test pipes. I would definitely recommend upgrading the clutch.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
I'd just run the stock pulley and spend the money on a new clutch / fw and hfcs / test pipes. I would definitely recommend upgrading the clutch.
This
Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by peters350z
I've got a 2003 350z. It's got very low miles and is in great condition. I've been wanting to go FI for a while and have now narrowed my search down to a Vortech supercharger. I'm staying away from turbos since the engine is still stock and I really don't want to take the chance of ruining it any time soon. My thoughts were to get a Vortech tuner kit, Walbro 255lph pump, Deatschwerks 600cc injectors and perhaps step up to a 3.12" pulley. I would also get an Osiris dyno tune.

After having done a lot of research on the forums I thought this would be a pretty safe setup for a fun street car, I'm not looking to build a highway monster.

I went and spoke with a local tuner and he told me that the 3.12" pulley might be pushing the block too much. I've seen many members here running 3.12" and even the 2.87" pulleys on stock blocks given a proper tune. My question is, do you guys think I should worry about adding the 3.12" pulley if everything was tuned correctly?

He also told me I would have to upgrade my clutch. Is this an absolute necessity for what I want to achieve here?

BTW mods I've done so far are a plenum spacer and back half exhaust, ie stock headers and cats.

Thanks
+1 on what ruthless/ace said.

With a good tune even a 2.87 will be fine. And good tunes for superchargers are a sinch because boost is linear to rpm.
Check out the ART test pipes made by motordyne, they cost a bit more than regular test pipes, but sound amazing and don't have drone. Motordyne is very clever with their helmholtz resonator tuning and make a great product. Add in a nice clutch to hold that power and get a utec or osiris as you said.

Last I checked a set of pulleys and gator belts really didn't cost that much, but I could be wrong.
You got a good build list, but at bare minimum add in a nice clutch. If I were doing my car again, I'd just have gone vortech with a nice exhaust setup, real good tune and called it a day.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

chances are if you are in WA looking at an osiris tune, then you spoke with Lawrence @ intec. he really knows his ****, I would listen to anything he has to say.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:31 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Entaille
chances are if you are in WA looking at an osiris tune, then you spoke with Lawrence @ intec. he really knows his ****, I would listen to anything he has to say.
this aswell ^ he just tuned my z. full build etc put down 660 whp 690 tq. man knows his tuning!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 PM
peters350z

Yes I spoke with Lawrence. Glad to know we have such a tuning authority in the area. Question about the ART test pipes. Will they pass emissions here in WA or will they need to be switched out when it comes time for emissions, they just do OBD and no sniffer I believe.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 PM
ace32x

Yes I spoke with Lawrence. Glad to know we have such a tuning authority in the area. Question about the ART test pipes. Will they pass emissions here in WA or will they need to be switched out when it comes time for emissions, they just do OBD and no sniffer I believe.
if your tuned with osiris you'll pass with anything in WA. all they check for is the CEL and you can turn that off with osiris.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 PM
seymore4
Professional

I ran mine on the sniffers at 570whp with a dual 3" straight pipe exhaust (pushing 18psi on a built DE bottom end with a GTM stage 2 kit) and PASSED WA state emisssions...

Intec is the only place to get tuned in WA..... /thread.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 AM
unvmyg35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+3 on ruthless suggestion.

Stick with 3.33 pulley and get a clutch/fw combo. If you get the V2 I would also get an oil cooler to help with oil temps. Invest in some gauges too, oil & water temp and a boost gauge if you like. Goodluck with build!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Shizzmaster2k

Originally Posted by unvmyg35

Stick with 3.33 pulley and get a clutch/fw combo. If you get the V2 I would also get an oil cooler to help with oil temps. Invest in some gauges too, oil & water temp and a boost gauge if you like. Goodluck with build!
Not to hijack the OP's thread but I plan on running the same exact Vortech setup on my 2003 350z as peters350z but my breathing mods are alot different (See list below). How much boost should I run to hit the 400whp mark? I see that your numbers posted on your signature are 431whp/364wtq and I wanted to know what psi you are running to gain those numbers?

Mods:
BC Cams Stage 2
BC Valvesprings & Retainer Kit
Crawford Headers (Jet-Hot Coated)
Unorthodox Racing Pulleys (Crank, Alternator, Water Pump)
Motordyne ART Pipes
JIC Y-pipe
Amuse R1 exhaust
JWT Clutch/Flywheel
JWT Popcharger (Wont be installed with vortech of course)
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 AM
unvmyg35

Originally Posted by Shizzmaster2k
I wanted to know what psi you are running to gain those numbers?
I'm hitting 11psi. Here is my build page so you can compare mods. Boost depends on the wheel you use. The stock 3.33 should get you about 7-8psi, add +1/2 psi per wheel upgrade.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ech-build.html

Last edited by unvmyg35; 12-30-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 AM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

only think that I would add is a wideband, just to be on the safe side. Other wise looks like a solid set up, I used to run a set up very similar to this and loved it let us know what you decide GL
Old 12-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Shizzmaster2k

I'm hitting 11psi. Here is my build page so you can compare mods. Boost depends on the wheel you use. The stock 3.33 should get you about 7-8psi, add +1/2 psi per wheel upgrade.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ech-build.html
Thanks for the info! I'm purchasing the Vortech V3 Polished Tuner Kit and I'm assuming this comes with the 3.33 pulley, correct? Also, what wheel upgrade did you go with? I didn't see it displayed in your build thread. I read the Vortech thread by sentry65 and he recommended going with a 32/28 wheel setup for more boost. Is that what your currently running on your car?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 AM
unvmyg35

Originally Posted by Shizzmaster2k
Thanks for the info! I'm purchasing the Vortech V3 Polished Tuner Kit and I'm assuming this comes with the 3.33 pulley, correct? Also, what wheel upgrade did you go with? I didn't see it displayed in your build thread. I read the Vortech thread by sentry65 and he recommended going with a 32/28 wheel setup for more boost. Is that what your currently running on your car?
Correct the stock vortech pulley is 3.33. I upgraded the impeller inside the charger to a SI trim. The stock is SCi trim. This helped me get the boost to 11psi on the 3.33. I did not make any changes to the cog pulley. It's the stock cog's. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:41 PM
peters350z

Great to hear that you can disable the CEL with Osiris when needing to get emissions testing, that should alleviate much headache and/or crawling under the car to replace cats.

Yeah I was planning on adding wideband, boost and oil temp guages. I already have an oil cooler, but I think I might have to get a smaller one because of the intercooler. Where do you suggest mounting the oil cooler because the intercooler takes up so much real estate in the front?

Are the ART test pipes worth the money? They certainly look impressive. I see they have extra long tubes to mount O2 sensors on, so where would you weld in some extra bungs for a wideband?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM
ace32x

Great to hear that you can disable the CEL with Osiris when needing to get emissions testing, that should alleviate much headache and/or crawling under the car to replace cats.

Yeah I was planning on adding wideband, boost and oil temp guages. I already have an oil cooler, but I think I might have to get a smaller one because of the intercooler. Where do you suggest mounting the oil cooler because the intercooler takes up so much real estate in the front?

Are the ART test pipes worth the money? They certainly look impressive. I see they have extra long tubes to mount O2 sensors on, so where would you weld in some extra bungs for a wideband?
to the right or left of the intercooler
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM
seymore4
Professional

Ok a couple thoughts now that I'm sober (seen waaay too many guys post incoherent stuff while under the influence and regret it the next day

1) good choice on the tuner kit, injectors, wahlbro, and Osiris tune. In your instance its the best option out there for tuning, period. Just for reference I passed WA state emissions this summer with a fully built 570whp twin turbo set up and dual 3" straight pipe exhaust. Lawrence knows how to tune.

2) DEFINITELY get the 3.12 pulley. last I checked its only $100 or so more, and with the stock pulley its lame. The stock block will be fine. Lawrence tuned one at Intec Racing a little while ago thats pretty well documented, I think his id is "retchedone" or something like that. It was a 2003 with the 3.12 pulley and the supporting mods, put down 436whp with a safe tune.

3) You don't need ART pipes, just get normal test pipes and have an extra bung welded on for the wideband (good investment IMO), any shop can do it for around $50

4) You will need a new clutch. Either now or replace it in the near future and pay labor again.

Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions you might have

Last edited by seymore4; 12-31-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:56 PM
unvmyg35

IM with Ace on the location of the oil cooler. Mines is on the left of the IC if you are facing the bumper.

Quick Reply: Vortech setup question