Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Trouble with turbo G35, AFR in 9’s, hesitation, P0340/5

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 AM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

That’s what I was actually thinking happened to the plug… don’t know for sure, but pre-ignition was my guess.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 AM
thatv35guy

So, I went down to AUD Injection in Tempe, AZ to have my Deatschwerks 600cc injectors tested out and they passed with flying colors… injectors are not a problem. Maybe the ECU next???
Attached Thumbnails -aus_injector_test.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so you getting the rich AFR along with those cam codes?

Do you have the proefi controlling the cams or the stock ecu? Even if the cams were not working at all, that wont effect your AFR, esp at low loads, cuz they arent doing anything down there anyhow.

You sure that your AFR sensor hasnt taken a crap? I had both mine die on my haltech and had to buy new ones.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM
thatv35guy

Yeah, super rich AFR and the car’s running like crap and I’m only getting those two codes related to the camshaft position sensors. No codes showed up for any misfire.

I don’t know about the ProEFI/Innovative wideband 02 sensor for sure, I disabled the 02 feedback and nothing changed, I was getting the same rich AFR readings.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM
thatv35guy

Update…

I haven’t resolved the issue (car running dangerously rich, AFR in the 9’s…); I *might have found the problem though, I think the ECU went bad… we swapped in the ECU from my brother’s base 2003 350Z and the AFR is up to the high 10’s… haven’t tried driving it yet though… the other issue now is I’m not able to pull any CEL’s from the 350Z ECU…
(I think the ProEFI bypassed the immobilizer and allowed us to start the car with a different ECU)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So are you going to just replace the ECU and go from there?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
thatv35guy

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
Update…

I haven’t resolved the issue (car running dangerously rich, AFR in the 9’s…); I *might have found the problem though, I think the ECU went bad… we swapped in the ECU from my brother’s base 2003 350Z and the AFR is up to the high 10’s… haven’t tried driving it yet though… the other issue now is I’m not able to pull any CEL’s from the 350Z ECU…
(I think the ProEFI bypassed the immobilizer and allowed us to start the car with a different ECU)
Not 100% sure yet... I'm going to try to get the car down to ProEFI and have them take a look at it too... I'm being a little more cautious since I've had a spark plug break/melt.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not good at all. If you were running "rich" wouldn't your spark plugs be fouled up rather than melting or breaking? I would assume that would happen at "lean" conditions.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 PM
thatv35guy

I was thinking it might be pre ignition, idk though… Anyways, it’s not the factory ECU ruled that out this afternoon… I’m at my wits end now.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Skrilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking it might be pre ignition, idk though… Anyways, it’s not the factory ECU ruled that out this afternoon… I’m at my wits end now.
did you find out what happened
Old 02-25-2012, 07:20 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

If it's not the ECU, has anyone checked to see if their is an issue with too high of fuel pressure being too high which would in turn increase the flow rate of the injector?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 AM
str8dum1

proefi are fuel pressure compensated. You can run 150 psi or 30psi and its all compensated for and should hit the targets
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by str8dum1
proefi are fuel pressure compensated. You can run 150 psi or 30psi and its all compensated for and should hit the targets
Can you explain that? Fuel pressure changes the flow rate of an injector and unless the proefi is reading the fuel pressure or controlling the speed of the fuel pump, I am curious as to how it's "compensating".

Injector flow rates are typically measured at 43.5 psi. So if you have say an ID1000 it flows 1015cc at 43.5 psi. If you put 70psi through it, it will flow 1200cc or better. That is more than enough of a difference to richen things up.

Again, not saying this is the issue but worth taking 5 minutes to check it.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 AM
str8dum1

it adjusts IPW based on fuel pressure and AFR target. Like how any properly designed EMS should under closed loop. It can also control a pump that allows PWM input.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by str8dum1
it adjusts IPW based on fuel pressure and AFR target. Like how any properly designed EMS should under closed loop. It can also control a pump that allows PWM input.
So are you trying to take a shot at me for using a Haltech implying ProEFI is better?

Even if he has closed loop enabled, that doesn't mean a thing. Like any properly designed EMS, closed loop requires settings to determine the MAX amount of fuel that can be added or subtracted for safety reasons.

With that being said, I assume at idle his target is in the 14's and if the ECU has the max enrichment in the closed loop so high that it adds enough fuel to put the AFR in the 9's, then that is a problem that should be corrected.

I also would assume that closed loop would have been turned off during testing to help narrow the problem down by now.

I also don't know about the PRO EFI ECU but from your statement above, you say that the closed loop function works by taking in to account fuel pressure. Are you sure that's correct? I am no tuning genius or even a tuner at all but not only have I never heard of closed loop reading fuel pressure, I also don't see why it would need to.

Closed loop is ONLY for low load conditions and lower RPM's therefor just watching the O2 sensors and reading the target AFR table is all you need. The ECU can determine the correct PW by a simple math calculation (Current PW X Current AFR / Target AFR = correct PW). If a closed loop system was designed for the higher rpm and loads including wot, I could see using fuel pressure as a variable HOWEVER, O2 sensors are not fast enough for closed loop in higher RPM's therefore it's a mute point.

So, unless the ECU does watch the fuel pressure and utilizes a correction table configured to make adjustments to the size/flow of the injectors, the fuel pressure on the rail should be checked. This would be easily seen if you have a fuel pressure guage installed, which is wise if you have a return fuel system.

So I stand by my assesment that the fuel pressure would be something to check and could cause this issue and I think any tuner and shop would concur.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

So I did some research of the ProEFI and thus far, it seems as though it functions like most other closed loop options like I explained above (ie. comparing actual O2 to target O2).

It does have a fuel pressure compensation table which can calculate a what a new pulse width can be in the event of fuel pressure issues. This is a different table and a feature so the question is, is it connected to a fuel pressure sensor, is it enabled, and what does it see?

It looks as though the O2 control functions like any other and as I stated, if it has compensation, it would be a different table than closed loop thus, it doesn't read fuel pressure to target an AFR. It uses fuel compensation to maintain the correct amount of fuel determined soley by what the flow rate is at base fuel pressure and what the fuel pressure is currently at.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM
thatv35guy

No resolution yet… had the car towed to ProEFI on Thursday though; I’ll let you guys know what they find out…

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM
thatv35guy

So, got a bit of an update… ProEFI had a chance to take a look at the car and from what I’ve gathered so far the timing chain jumped a tooth and it’s off now… that’s why the car’s stuck in limp mode.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 AM
bigcloud

So, got a bit of an update… ProEFI had a chance to take a look at the car and from what I’ve gathered so far the timing chain jumped a tooth and it’s off now… that’s why the car’s stuck in limp mode.
Ummmm. Isn't that like really bad!!!! At least your timing chain didn't come off. Is it a simple fix?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 AM
b20sedan

That sucks!

Quick Reply: Trouble with turbo G35, AFR in 9’s, hesitation, P0340/5