Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

* Greddy Turbo Sale *

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
08NismoZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I would definitely pay for them up front and just send FedEx the bill I had to pay. I was told the Greddy DE exhaust manifolds would not work on my HR though so I need the HR 20G manifolds replicated. You would be a life saver if you can make it happen haha
Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08NismoZ
Yeah I would definitely pay for them up front and just send FedEx the bill I had to pay. I was told the Greddy DE exhaust manifolds would not work on my HR though so I need the HR 20G manifolds replicated. You would be a life saver if you can make it happen haha
DE/HR/VHR kits all use the same manifolds
Old 01-28-2012, 02:31 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tim at SFR makes good manifolds. 1400$ for a pair is a steal. You'll spend more than that on a quality single 4 banger manifold
Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM
08NismoZ

Originally Posted by phunk
DE/HR/VHR kits all use the same manifolds
Really? The guy at Greddy said if use the DE manifolds that come with their 18g kit then my 20g turbo will be hitting the bell housing on my HR motor. If that's not the case then I wonder if Greddy has any spare DE exhaust manifolds laying around. They said they have a couple of passenger side HR 20g manifolds but no driver side manifolds.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Really? The guy at Greddy said if use the DE manifolds that come with their 18g kit then my 20g turbo will be hitting the bell housing on my HR motor. If that's not the case then I wonder if Greddy has any spare DE exhaust manifolds laying around. They said they have a couple of passenger side HR 20g manifolds but no driver side manifolds.
Well, I have the 370z/VHR manifolds, and they are identical to the DE manifolds. I have never personally worked on a turbo HR, so I cannot promise. But I highly doubt the HR would require a different manifold than the DE and VHR.

Aside from that, the turbos are mounted in front of the transmission... so I do not see how they could hit the bellhousing even if there was a different.

PERHAPS there is a very minor change in the angle of the 3-bolt flange, but I really doubt it. They look indentical to me. I have held the DE manifolds a dozen times or more, and I didnt notice any difference in my VHR manifolds.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

On an interesting side note. I did not want to start a thread about this yet until there is something more tangible in my hands.

A few days ago my welder came over here and we looked at building replacement thickwall elbow manifolds for the Greddy manifolds. We decided that it is not ideal. The 3 bolt flange is offset high up in relationship to the ports, and getting the furthest back runner into the collector would be a nightmare, it could really only be done well in that layout with a casting.

So we moved to the next step. We laid out the flanges in CAD and we designed some thickwall damn-near equal length manifolds. We have started to machine the jigs, and I have ordered some laser cut exhaust manifold and greddy turbo flanges from my laser/waterjet guy. I will have the flanges next week. Hoping to finish the jigs this weekend.

While the manifolds are "done" in CAD, I did not have boundries in the program. Its possible that the runners could be hitting something. If they are hitting something, I will have to move around the configuration in CAD, and see if I can get them to hit nothing. I will know more soon. We have to tack them together in the current configuration and see if/where it hits, and then reroute in CAD.

So basically we are gearing up to build a couple sets of equal length thick-wall manifolds that are a replacement to the Greddy manifolds. Pending some boundry details, it still might not be possible to do well. But if it is possible, we are going to do this. BUT i need to add that its also very very likely that the tubes may conflict with the water pipes on either side of the engine, it really just depends. If they do conflict with the water pipes, it might be an unavoidable side-effect of an equal length tubular manifold that puts the turbos in that location. In that scenario, if thats the only confliction, I would still build the manifolds, and anyone who wants them will have to make alternations to the water pipe(s).

We were already planning on doing this for some T25 manifolds for my 370z... so we are considering this an easier warm up, thats why I sort of jumped into it. We have built plenty of turbo manifolds over the years, we just never got into that with the VQ scene. Its sort of a pain in the *** car for this type of stuff.

So this is not a guarenteed thing yet. I just wanted to say that we are pretty deep into playing with this right now, and its quite possible it will result in a finished product.

Last edited by phunk; 02-03-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM
08NismoZ

That's awesome! Another question though. Would the Greddy down pipes still work?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

There is no way the tubes would end up passing through the downpipe area causing a confliction with that.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

does anyone have a toast greddy turbo laying around? i dont want to remove mine off my 370z since the car is running/driving. we have my old 350z to test fit the manifolds, but it would be great to have a turbo so that i can make sure none of the runners wack the turbo anywhere.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:03 AM
08NismoZ

does anyone have a toast greddy turbo laying around? i dont want to remove mine off my 370z since the car is running/driving. we have my old 350z to test fit the manifolds, but it would be great to have a turbo so that i can make sure none of the runners wack the turbo anywhere.
As long as you make sure I get them back you can borrow both of my TD06SH-20G turbos

Just let me know where to send them and I can get them shipped out Tuesday
Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

I appreciate the offer... I will let you know soon. I also found a local guy who said we can borrow one that he is sending out for a rebuild in a month anyway, and its already off the car.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 AM
08NismoZ

I appreciate the offer... I will let you know soon. I also found a local guy who said we can borrow one that he is sending out for a rebuild in a month anyway, and its already off the car.
Ok, I've put my car back to stock because of Greddy's lack of product support and I'm selling everything off. I've got an almost full Greddy 20G TT kit just sitting in my garage that is virtually useless because I have no exhaust manifolds or the wastegate relocation pipes in order to sell the kit
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

How much are you looking for? I might know someone interested.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
08NismoZ

How much are you looking for? I might know someone interested.
I was going to say $3k and they get a used TT kit that was tuned at 8psi because it's always been on a stock block. Even if it costs $1,500 for a set of manifolds and those little wastegate pipes (parts 5,6,9, and 10 on the 20G parts list) they still get the kit at half the cost of a new one. I just had the down pipes thermal coated with that 2,000 degree black textured paint by Jet-Hot. The parts that are missing were on their way to Jet-Hot also but never made it.

I'm open to offers and I can send pics also to verify everything. I sold the brand new built motor I was going to use also so I'm ready to get rid of the other big ticket item too haha
Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

How many miles on the turbos?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
08NismoZ

I've had them on the car for 2 summers at about 8k miles total. Almost all of that is highway miles going to events, Dynosty, and Miami a couple of times all from Indy where I live. The Z is not my daily so the the car has never seen snow or salt from the roads or anything. Feel fee to PM me with an email address if you want some pics. I can take pictures Monday because I'm downtown this whole weekend helping out because of the Super Bowl
Old 02-04-2012, 02:48 PM
usingthejohn

Ok, I've put my car back to stock because of Greddy's lack of product support and I'm selling everything off. I've got an almost full Greddy 20G TT kit just sitting in my garage that is virtually useless because I have no exhaust manifolds or the wastegate relocation pipes in order to sell the kit
I'm in the same boat as you too. But then I wonder who'd want to buy my kit with unreliable manifolds at best? GLWS
Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there are definitely places on the net that are equipped to weld cast material. If you have manifolds, getting them fixed isnt too difficult, assuming that they dont get lost in the mail.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 PM
08NismoZ

Originally Posted by str8dum1
there are definitely places on the net that are equipped to weld cast material. If you have manifolds, getting them fixed isnt too difficult, assuming that they dont get lost in the mail.
funny guy here lol
Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

We built a pretty nice and solid manifold jig over the weekend. Tonight we are going to try and get the precise flange relationships into CAD so that I can make refined adjustments to the runner routing. Then we just have to weld it together and test fit.

Quick Reply: * Greddy Turbo Sale *