Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Emissions Testing After Turbo Charging

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 AM
tennvtxr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Testing After Turbo Charging

I am currently installing a Boosted Performance turbo and let me start off by saying this is an incredible quality kit. I am starting to deal with the down pipe to the exhaust and have a HKS high flow dual exhaust system that I am planing on making a custom Y fitting to go from the turbo down pipe to the exhast (1 into 2 fitting). My first question is does anyone know if this already exists for purchase.

My main question is that since the catalytic convertors have been removed in the process, will the vehicle pass emissions testing, or will I need a high flow cat in the Y fitting that I make or will the Haltech compensate for no cats and allow the vehicle to pass emissions. FYI I'm in Tennessee.

Thanks for the assistance. I searched for a while on the forum, but I did not find this addressed anywhere. Alberto
Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is going to matter on your local and state laws more than anything. Do they do a visual inspection? Do they plug into your OBD port? Can you have pending codes and pass? How many CELs can you have and pass? Do they just put a sniffer in the exhaust pipe?

Answer some of these questions and we can help you more easily.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

haha, answer any of those questions and you wont need any help at all.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If I was to build something, I would use a compact Y-pipe, weld a 3" flange to the inlet and bolt that to the down pipe. After that, I would buy two 200cell 3" in/out Vibrant metalic catalytics, and run them side by side, on either side of the drive shaft.

Then you can go either 2.5" or 3.0" dual out to the back. 2.5" would be fine IMO. I say two 3" catalytics because it would be post turbo, and flow should be kept at a maximum. Not sure what your state calls for, but you may also have to extend your post cat O2 sensor wires and install the O2 sensors way downstream.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 AM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

honestly, these seem like questions that should have been asked before you bought the kit. best of luck with everything.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe the Tennessee regional members can help. Seeing how they live in the same state and all.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any kind of non-OEM cats are illegal in most places that check and if there's a sniffer you're F'd. Luckily where I live they just plug into the ODB2 and look for codes, no sniffer or inspection. Apparently more states are moving towards this, it's even rumored that Cali is going this route eventually (cost savings).
Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Any kind of non-OEM cats are illegal in most places that check and if there's a sniffer you're F'd. Luckily where I live they just plug into the ODB2 and look for codes, no sniffer or inspection. Apparently more states are moving towards this, it's even rumored that Cali is going this route eventually (cost savings).
That would be focking amazing.

OP, turbos means you're focked when it comes to emissions. Either un-install and install oem stuff or get rid of the car (or 'BREAK THE LAW')
GLWS (good luck with sh*t)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Even for visual inspection, as long as cats are present, you usually won't get hassled, especially if you have your downstream O2 sensors located after the cats.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 PM
jdepe

Depends where you are located in tn. I'm from Murfreesboro. All they do there is an 0bd2 scan to make sure there aren't any codes and the the ecu is "ready". I have test pipes on my car since 2008 and never had a problem passing emissions. In the event that I do get a check engine light, I just disconnect the battery for 30 mins to let the ecu "reset". Then I drive around for 50miles so that the ecu is in the "readiness" mode. If you try to pass the obd2 scan right after you reconnect the battery without driving around, you won't pass.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
VTS

I live in the boro as well and they actually look under my car with a mirror before they even hook up the scanner but I still manage to pass with resonated test pipes (doesn't throw codes).
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Azzerare

Originally Posted by jdepe
Depends where you are located in tn. I'm from Murfreesboro. All they do there is an 0bd2 scan to make sure there aren't any codes and the the ecu is "ready". I have test pipes on my car since 2008 and never had a problem passing emissions. In the event that I do get a check engine light, I just disconnect the battery for 30 mins to let the ecu "reset". Then I drive around for 50miles so that the ecu is in the "readiness" mode. If you try to pass the obd2 scan right after you reconnect the battery without driving around, you won't pass.
Originally Posted by VTS
I live in the boro as well and they actually look under my car with a mirror before they even hook up the scanner but I still manage to pass with resonated test pipes (doesn't throw codes).
Super helpful- thanks for posting, guys.
If either of you are still in the boro we should get together sometime. My ride's nothing to show but I'd like to see you guys' Z & G.
PM me if you'd be interested?

Last edited by Azzerare; 10-08-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 AM
TopgunZ

I was planning on building a custom "swap" adaptor that allows me to just unbolt my resonator and plug ONE oem cat back in its place, then swap them back out after the test.

You think just one will be enough to pass for sure?