Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Twin Charging my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can feel the turbo on a normal gt35 kit at 3500rpms. I woulda expected him to say he could feel the turbo coming in at 2500rpms.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 AM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
you can feel the turbo on a normal gt35 kit at 3500rpms. I woulda expected him to say he could feel the turbo coming in at 2500rpms.
rear mount taking longer to spool maybe? or does topgunz have his up front?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
TopgunZ

Mines in the bay and is the regular Powerlab kit with the gt35

SuperZ's is a rear mount STS kit and he swapped the compressor out for a larger one i believe.

Last edited by TopgunZ; 05-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That air filter won't be an issue. You will have water inside your car through the doors before it's deep enough to cover that filter entirely. Mine is mounted under the car right at the level of the cross member.

With air filters they have to be completely submerged to provide enough suction to pull a large amount of water into the engine. Any small amounts won't hurt the engine as we know from people that use water injection can spray over 1000cc into the intake to cool it without any issues.

Also, if it's an oil covered filter (like most are) the oil is hydrophobic therefore it repels water. If the bottom half gets wet the air will just travel the path of least resistance which would be anywhere that isn't wet.

so far 2 years in the midwest with rain and all and i've never had an issue with my filter being 2-3" off the ground.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Nismomonkey

Im bored, let's get sciencey again. Thats a word, who said it wasnt? So this supercharger thing? I have noticed a ton of them that look like turbos, whats up with that? Are they those hybrid ones that are like both? I think its one of the options for your car in Forza if you get an aspiration conversion. Yea I brought a sweet *** game into this. Also, I am used to only seeing SC that are like the ones that are on the Cobras and Lightnings that sit on top of the motor. I think these are called screw type. Someone enlighten me while we wait on dyno numbers.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM
TopgunZ

Uuuummmmmm........you might want to put your fireproof suit on.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM
TopgunZ

No dyno this weekend. It's not available till Monday but I'm working. Super bummed. Next weekend ill be in phoenix. Might sneak in just a half day sometime this week but not sure I can.

Last edited by TopgunZ; 05-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:07 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

fail troll is fail

Originally Posted by Nismomonkey
Im bored, let's get sciencey again. Thats a word, who said it wasnt? So this supercharger thing? I have noticed a ton of them that look like turbos, whats up with that? Are they those hybrid ones that are like both? I think its one of the options for your car in Forza if you get an aspiration conversion. Yea I brought a sweet *** game into this. Also, I am used to only seeing SC that are like the ones that are on the Cobras and Lightnings that sit on top of the motor. I think these are called screw type. Someone enlighten me while we wait on dyno numbers.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismomonkey
NO!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by binder
That air filter won't be an issue. You will have water inside your car through the doors before it's deep enough to cover that filter entirely. Mine is mounted under the car right at the level of the cross member.

With air filters they have to be completely submerged to provide enough suction to pull a large amount of water into the engine. Any small amounts won't hurt the engine as we know from people that use water injection can spray over 1000cc into the intake to cool it without any issues.

Also, if it's an oil covered filter (like most are) the oil is hydrophobic therefore it repels water. If the bottom half gets wet the air will just travel the path of least resistance which would be anywhere that isn't wet.

so far 2 years in the midwest with rain and all and i've never had an issue with my filter being 2-3" off the ground.

True. Taking a step back and looking at this the water would have to get through the filter, through the compresser, through a large intercooler, snake up and around 6 feet of piping, through the sc screws, and then through an aftercooler...lol...not gonna happen.

So the real question I should ask is...Is there a possibility of fine mist damaging a compressors components?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ doubtful. There are arguments though let's say you spray meth/water before the compressor it can cause issues over a long time. But definitely not occasional mist.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
^^ doubtful. There are arguments though let's say you spray meth/water before the compressor it can cause issues over a long time. But definitely not occasional mist.
+1

Rcdash on here did some testing and sprayed meth pre-turbo. I think after a long period of time you would start to see some water erosion of the blades but this isn't something that happens quickly nor does it happen with small amounts. Again we are talking like 500-1000cc of injected spray.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
silencedeyes

this guy is nuts. lousy photoshopped pics. if you look hard you can see the rear hatch of a honda. moe and i are nuts too i guess.

oh by the way i found your thread. get off the net and get back in the garage...

Last edited by silencedeyes; 05-07-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda2Nismo

I may have to come see this next week ^_^
Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 AM
SuperZ-onDPE's
Banned

Yesterday me and some friends did some quick video shooting of my compound Z. im going to add them together. Ill have it posted tonight so you guys can see what it looks like/ sound like.

the camera car was an 09 BMW 335 with mods like Juice box staged map and some bolt ons.

im not going to say the compound Z is fast at all. i think at this point its just a little quick but not fast. still need more tuning and some other tweeks. but i deploy this week and have no time.

i did not install the cp pistons or rods, no time. so stock block on 1BAR or 0.95 to be exact i guess you could say...

had no time to dyno the car. i did dyno the car before turbo. stage 3 stillen with exhaust was only 308whp. i have no clue where its at now. but i do know it has hella top end now. yet in one of my vids you can here the supercharger belt slipping. i was having sc belt problems, i have the new belt but will not install it till i return from afghan.

once i return maybe get stupid with my built motor or just buy a GTM long block and start from their.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by silencedeyes
this guy is nuts. lousy photoshopped pics. if you look hard you can see the rear hatch of a honda. moe and i are nuts too i guess.

oh by the way i found your thread. get off the net and get back in the garage...

Hahaha.... Funny guy. I didnt know my ridgeline had a hatch.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by Honda2Nismo
I may have to come see this next week ^_^
Swing on by.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as would any turbo setup.... the point of twin charging would be "hella" low end......

have you logged before and after boost curves?

Originally Posted by SuperZ-onDPE's
i have no clue where its at now. but i do know it has hella top end now.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
TopgunZ

Engine bay. 99% done

Front end

Last edited by TopgunZ; 05-08-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! there is a lot going on for sure! In for the dyno results!

Quick Reply: Twin Charging my Z!