Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Bp single turbo kit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Ill tell ya right now, whatever you decide to do with the engine, it's going to take more than a month to do, especially an ls swap. (aside from maybe abstock rebuild where you could slap stuff together/parts are on hand).
Maybe look at selling it how it is and pick up a vette or s2k (they take tons of boost with good tunes, looks like all the motor could use is a headgasket and l19s to handle serious power, ones in the 9's with 700+whp stock block but with full v160 swap).

Str8's built his car multiple times, binder has at least 1x that i know of, im finally after almost a year getting my car back together (i was not read for my build and its been rough as hell)... these things require commitment. Unless you're devoted, you're just going to waste your time and money.

Dont take that the wrong way man, because it applies to everyone. I cant imagine doing an engine swap in a month. Id be happy if my car was running in a month and its just a vq.

If you decide you want that shortblock, lmk man. Think long and hard about this... An engine swapped z is not simple and not straightforward. Keeping a vq means everything plugs back in and an fsm has your back.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

**** i spent over a year just gathering parts and still dint get everything *coughcoughcamscoughcough* then took like 2-3 months to put it all together and im still ironing out problems, definitly not a easy route. several times ive been so brain addled by problems that ive posted on here then had to take a break from it just to be able to think straight. a lsx swap or any swap for that matter is going to be that x2 at least. its the road we travel modding cars though it takes passion, time, and the ability to deal with frustration even if its just ranting online haha but at the end of the day what we do to the car represents the person who did the work.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-14-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM
mgrotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, like said, it will take far more than a month to do whatever you decide to do. it took me damn near half a year or more to just gather parts, then assembly took forever waiting on balancing, machining, porting the heads, etc. these things just take so much time and effort and you dont want to rush yourself
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 AM
lowandsteezy

I'm not rushing into anything yet guys. But I'm picking up a daily today or tomorrow and I'm going to take my time on my car. I'm thinking lsx swap is going to be my plan. Still researching. I'm gonna post my turbo kit and EVERYTHING needed for it forsale soon. I'm gonna sell clutch, flywheel, tapped intake plenum, headers, basically everything.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by lowandsteezy
I'm not rushing into anything yet guys. But I'm picking up a daily today or tomorrow and I'm going to take my time on my car. I'm thinking lsx swap is going to be my plan. Still researching. I'm gonna post my turbo kit and EVERYTHING needed for it forsale soon. I'm gonna sell clutch, flywheel, tapped intake plenum, headers, basically everything.
if you do lsx it and it comes out running good, throw a top mount something on it ;D
Old 07-03-2012, 12:57 PM
lowandsteezy

Well I decided to pick up a factory motor thanks to Jeff binder, and leave the turbo kit off. I've had the car running for over a week now and I must say this motor feels a lot healthier then my other motor when it was factory. I will be making a forsale thread soon for my turbo kit. So hit me up if you or if you know anyone interested.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I decided to pick up a factory motor thanks to Jeff binder, and leave the turbo kit off. I've had the car running for over a week now and I must say this motor feels a lot healthier then my other motor when it was factory. I will be making a forsale thread soon for my turbo kit. So hit me up if you or if you know anyone interested.
Glad to hear that you are back on the road...too bad you are letting the kit go. I am sure it won't take long to sell. It seems that all my customers hang on to these kits. I have yet to see a used one for sale.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
lowandsteezy

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Glad to hear that you are back on the road...too bad you are letting the kit go. I am sure it won't take long to sell. It seems that all my customers hang on to these kits. I have yet to see a used one for sale.
I don't want to get rid of the kit. Lol. It's going to be hard to! But with all the money I spent with tuning and then blowing a motor. I can't afford to take another chance. It's so hard not to put the kit back on! I mean one day of work.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why don't you just tune it less, you'll still get a kick out of it, but it won't blow the motor. Basically, just get a safe DD tune with lower boost.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you're welcome. It was a strong engine in my car. i hate to see it go. Funny thing, today i started having electrical gremlins in my car.....i guess i'm doomed now that i let my spare full engine go.

There was no way of knowing you had a metal defect in that other stock engine. It probably would have flown apart without FI anyways with the defect so you can't entirely blame the boost. Sometimes you have that. Hell, after losing oil on a long drive due to my stupidity I destroyed my built block. Then upon rebuilding it 2 head studs pulled out of the block and i had to scrap the entire engine. Talk about crap luck. Sometimes you have to just roll with it.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by binder

There was no way of knowing you had a metal defect in that other stock engine. It probably would have flown apart without FI anyways with the defect so you can't entirely blame the boost. Sometimes you have that. Hell, after losing oil on a long drive due to my stupidity I destroyed my built block. Then upon rebuilding it 2 head studs pulled out of the block and i had to scrap the entire engine. Talk about crap luck. Sometimes you have to just roll with it.
FWIW the block I sent dynosty to have machined opened up a pocket when they were machining it. Eddie had to go to 3 thou over which we decided was too much (and wouldn't work with my pistons). Ended up in total costing me another oh... 1700$ total... Wish I had that money... and just bought some rods instead lol

It's awesome breaking stuff, especially when it's not even running.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
FWIW the block I sent dynosty to have machined opened up a pocket when they were machining it. Eddie had to go to 3 thou over which we decided was too much (and wouldn't work with my pistons). Ended up in total costing me another oh... 1700$ total... Wish I had that money... and just bought some rods instead lol

It's awesome breaking stuff, especially when it's not even running.
yep, sometimes a simple rebuild isn't so simple. Starting from fresh was just the best way for me to reduce future headaches.