Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

misfire issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default misfire issues

sooo this ones a bit interesting. couple days ago i developed a misfire which wasnt there for the first 30-40 miles. its only when the engine is cold(i did drive it one day because i had to go to work in the morning so it only idled about 2 mins before i went to work but nothing major on it less then 2500 rpms and this is on straight 30 weight as well) once it warms up it usually goes away if it dosnt i turn the car off and restart it and it goes away. i know its not fuel injectors because i can hear them clicking through a screwdriver on the body and that bank was running rich according to the wideband. thought it was mayby the plugs since running 2 step colder although they wernt fouled even with my rich tune(car wont idle lean.) changing those to new ngk gpower stock heat range did nothing. tryed wiring but multimeter is showing the plugs getting the correct signals. switching coils did nothing as well its the same bank doing it(by the way did i mention when it is doing it i can unplug all three driver side coils and get no noticeable change in idle? and with them plugged in unplugging any one passenger side coil will kill the engine, check engine light blinks when its doing it too and gettin p0300 code.) although i have three new coils coming anyway.

also pulling the coilpacks off and using a spare plug it fires no problem while doing this.

havnt checked compression but i dont think its there since once in awhile it wont do it cold, it dosnt do it warm most of the time and restarting the car if it continues clears it, plus all my ring gaps are the same recommended by wossner.

finally after changing the oil today(not doing anything else other then that) all of a sudden that bank is running 13.7(target in map is 13.5) and the passenger bank is running pig rich at 11.7 indicating its rich but the misfire is still in the driver side with same symptoms.

after a 20 mile "hard" break in of part throttle short burst in all gears 25% throttle and going up to 50% i took it on the highway for some light boost pulls for tuning and was hitting a huge misfire at about 15 psi boost, rpm would be pretty much whatever rpm it hit that boost at depending on gear, 3800-4500, so i wont take it up there again this is also on no meth.

i was thinking mayby too little spark based on what i was reading in the one thread with the custom setup in the maxima since i am running a really low compression ratio with 8.0:1 and that knock from too little timing might be running the engine with no coils plugged in on the driver side(the miss is noticeable but the engine isnt running rough enough to indicate 3 cylinders are down, it would seem only 1 is down even with 3 coils unplugged) but then again i would think it would affect all cylinders not just 3. but then again it also dosnt sound like knock at all kinda stumped on this one *shrug*

strangely i do have a p0021 code so im not sure if that could have something to do with it but not entirely sure what might be causing it since i dont have p0011 to go along with it.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-19-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM
jerryd87

just found the three cylinders not firing thread so gona be reading that.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar issue and the entire drover side wasn't firing but I could still drive the car.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 PM
jerryd87

i can still drive it as well it sometimes gets bucking though i just dont want to drive it. might pull driver side variable timing solenoid off and clean it. only thing i can think of since one person fixed there problem doing this. i just find it odd i can unplug 3 coils but it only sounds like one cylinder is missing.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
jerryd87

think i might have fixed this, pulled apart driver side solenoid and it had a small dab of rtv on one of the screens perfect shaped plug to the ports. pulled it off(was more just sitting there) and put it back togeather with a new solenoid gasket and appears fine now knock on wood. still has a slight miss at around 1500 in free rev but ill see more tomarrow when i drive it. wifes focus is parked behind me now and i dont like to take the boy in the car because it does smell a bit of fuel think its mostly rich exhuast though.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 PM
slow7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let us know how it comes out tomorrow
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
jerryd87

misfire is gone since cleaning the driver side timing solenoid but i have a decent miss between 1500-2000 still not horrible but enough to cause very slight bucking thats annoying, dosnt seem to happen above or below that cruising around so i think i might stop the copy through and go back to the settings i have see if it helps because i dint have this issue before the rtv in the solenoid and i switched to copy through trying to eliminate that.

also leaned up my map a bit, the afrs are bouncing back and forth slightly but i think i have a leak at my headers gona try to tighten them up now that they have some heat cycles on them.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.