Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BP 6266E on RevUp Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM
smalmo1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BP 6266E on RevUp Dyno Results

Details:

2006 350Z, MT, 70,000 kms, 32,000 kms on warranty replacement engine (replaced due to oil consumption)

The car dynoed at 255 hp and 234 ft lbs with the mods below prior to the turbo install. On nitrous it was 310 hp and 355 ft lbs. I have those dynos at home and will overlay them tonight as a fun comparison. They were done last summer on the same dyno.

BP kit with 6266E, .68 A/R turbo
BP oil cooler
550cc injectors
255 Walbro
CJM Stage 0 RFS
UpRev GT MAF
Tial BOV,
Tial wastegate with .6 BAR spring
MREV2
5/16 spacer
Nismo catback
NGK TR7 iridium plugs
Shell 91 octane gas
ACT clutch w. street disc
ACT flywheel
AMS pullies
Injected Performance catch can
BP diff brace
UpRev
Zeitronix ZT2/DashDAQ combo for monitoring (wideband/EGT/fuel pressure/oil pressure/oil temp/OBD parameters)

Copied/pasted some info from my other thread:

I had the car tuned by Greg and Seb of SpecialtyZ and they did a great job. The car started throwing a P303 on the weekend and idling rough. I brought it in to the dyno yesterday morning and prayed it would be something simple. They suggested that driving it on an overly rich base map had probably fouled the plugs. Pulled #3 and threw in a replacement and sure enough, no misfire. We swapped all of the TR6 coppers for a new set of TR7 iridiums that another Z owner happened to have there which are the exact plugs Greg and Seb recommend. It sounded much better and the tuning commenced.

I'm a little disappointed in the peak numbers. Going from 91 to 94 resulted in about 50hp increases for other boosted Z's over the weekend tuning session but 91 octane tunes have pulled 400+hp on this dyno in the past (Sasha's personal car for example). I did however ask for a conservative tune since it is a stock block and I want it to run well all summer at the track.

What I am not disappointed in is how it drives! I'm still getting used to the power and the noise but it pulls hard and drives smooth off and on boost. Open dump pointed out the passenger side is ridiculous though. I had the "honour" of being the loudest car on the dyno over the 3 days. I'll likely get it recirculated.

My last 2 remaining issues are a horrible metallic rattle at 3200ish rpm that I can't find and it is smoking blue after hard driving. Seb said by the amount of smoke if it was blowby my oil level would be down by now and it isn't so he thinks it is residual from the scavenge pump issues still burning off at higher temps. I'll be monitoring smokiness and oil level and hopefully it clears up soon. Also going to pull the intercooler pipes again to see if there is still oil going through.

Watching some of the 370Z's on the dyno I think I will moving on to that platform in the next year or so. 500+hp on stock engines at less than 10psi is impressive and I'm thinking I will get used to the power of my car in short order and be looking for more.

Run 10 showed a whisper of knock, run 11(not shown) was a little lower power than 12 and run 12 was the final run with 0 knock, then verified 0 knock with street pulls.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the power, should definitely be fun. You shouldn't have that much crank case pressure on the stock motor... is the breather on your catch can smoking much during a pull? Keep a close eye on the oil, it sounds like you may still have a problem (pump?) if the smoke isn't clearing up quickly. And yes, the VQ37VHR in the 370Z is definitely an impressive motor!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
smalmo1

Thanks Hal. We didn't see any smoke from the breather on the dyno and didn't even notice any out of the exhaust. It wasn't until we beat on it on the street test and came back that we noticed it smoking. We are thinking it is because the oil is so far back in the exhaust it takes a lot of heat to get that far back and start burning it off. It seems to be getting better but Froday night at the drag strip should be a good test.

One issue that we couldn't resolve is an inconsistent hesitation at around 4k to 5.5k rpm at WOT. Seems to happen when doing a hard shift and getting back on the gas into the next gear but we couldn't consistently repeat it. The AFR is steady and nothing in the logs concerned Seb. His only thought was it feels/sounds like the wastegate is fluttering a little. I'm on spring pressure with no boost controller.

Have you seen this hesitation/stutter issue before and does the wastegate sound like a likely cause? If so, would an EBC steady it out?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 AM
ranmas2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice numbers......Im doing a turbo kit on my 02 Maxima with VQ35DE engine using the same 6266 BB turbo except a .82A/R....going to be running 7psi wastegate. Im wondering why you didnt make more power... .6 bar is about 8.7psi right?? Im thinking should have been higher. Another guy in the Maxima forums had a 02 VQ35DE maxima with 6 speed and made 374whp with a 60 trim turbo at 7.5psi....NON REVUP engine. Maybe its the 91 octane.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM
smalmo1

I thought it was low too. You can see the peak boost was 8.81 and 8.13 on the 2 runs. Sasha made 402 hp on the same dyno with his personal car and a nearly identical set up (think it was a 6262 turbo though) at 91 octane.

I did ask for a conservative tune but it should still have hit a lot closer to 400. The car wasn't a dog to start with at 255hp NA.

Wish I knew where the missing power was and after I get used to it I will be searching for it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

boost is just a measure of the air that the engine is not using. just turn it up til you make the power you want.

dont see what the problem is.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 AM
ranmas2004

Originally Posted by str8dum1
boost is just a measure of the air that the engine is not using. just turn it up til you make the power you want.

dont see what the problem is.
I dont think that boost is his issue. I think its the fact that it is dynoing significantly lower than other cars with the same setup and engine with the same boost.......sure he can turn it up but might be magnifying the problem...if there is one.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Andrei

Z1 has a 300zx check valve and silicone hose replacing the brake booster hose that eliminates all crank case pressure, keeps dip stick from blowing out and oil cap from coming loose. Around $25 for the check valve.

I'm getting one for mine, even though mine is NA.

Last edited by Andrei; 06-28-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Peak HP seems a bit low. Peak TQ is strong. What were the AIT's reaching during the pulls? What is the peak timing around redline?

Last edited by djamps; 06-28-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
smalmo1

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
I dont think that boost is his issue. I think its the fact that it is dynoing significantly lower than other cars with the same setup and engine with the same boost.......sure he can turn it up but might be magnifying the problem...if there is one.

Correct. I didn't think my peak power should be almost 10% less than Sasha's with near identical set ups on the same dyno (not same brand, but exact same dyno at the same shop). I can turn up the boost or run a 94 octane tune or both to get to where I want but the base level power being off is why I was disappointed.

I just reviewed Sasha's dyno and mine in depth side-by-side and found they are very similar right up to 5,000 rpm where his HP continues to climb while mine drops off and his torque doesn't drop off as quickly as mine. I suppose this could be due to more aggressive tuning at high RPM and possibly more efficient exhaust design. The boost seems to be holding pretty steady at high rpm but I may add a Blitz EBC just to ensure it is steady all the way through and hopefully fix the hesitation issue.

Last edited by smalmo1; 06-28-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
smalmo1

Originally Posted by djamps
Peak HP seems a bit low. Peak TQ is strong. What were the AIT's reaching during the pulls? What is the peak timing around redline?
I walked away and let Seb and Greg work on it so I'm not sure. I will ask if he can post that info.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Does Sasha have his headers on for the dyno that you are comparing with? Might be the missing link.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 PM
smalmo1

Good point. I'm not sure if he did or not as it didn't say in the post with the chart. Could explain it though. I'm sure he will post if he did or not when he reads this thread.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
ranmas2004

Originally Posted by smalmo1

I just reviewed Sasha's dyno and mine in depth side-by-side and found they are very similar right up to 5,000 rpm where his HP continues to climb while mine drops off and his torque doesn't drop off as quickly as mine. I suppose this could be due to more aggressive tuning at high RPM and possibly more efficient exhaust design. The boost seems to be holding pretty steady at high rpm but I may add a Blitz EBC just to ensure it is steady all the way through and hopefully fix the hesitation issue.
Exhaust might have to do with it. You got a 2.5" or 3"? Did Sasha have a custom intake manifold of some sort? I know the VQ35DE top end just sucks, When I put a custom intake manifold on mine top end DRASTICALLY increased. Then again 350zs have different intake manifolds than Maximas......stock intake mani on Maxima is pure GARBAGE!

Last edited by ranmas2004; 06-28-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2.5" exhaust nor stock heads are limiting factor at these power levels.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Seb-Specialty-Z

His IATs on hot pulls would start off at 90F and by the end of the run get to around 105 to 108F.
Ignition timing was getting around 16-18 degrees up top. We were getting some knock above that.
91 Octane sucks!

Last edited by Seb-Specialty-Z; 06-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
ranmas2004

Originally Posted by djamps
2.5" exhaust nor stock heads are limiting factor at these power levels.
umm...actually they are because a dude in the Maxima forums did a turbo with 2.5" cat back and he was getting too much back pressure up into the turbo he had to put another spring in the wastegate to hold at 7.5psi and still made 374whp. 3" exhaust would have made more power probably close to 400whp. VQ35DE flows alot......
Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sasha has a rev-up engine with adjustable exhaust cam timing and headers. That will make a difference. I think sasha was running a little more boost but if you have one at hte same boost the difference could be the rev up.

also, do'nt forget, comparing stock engines to stock engines isn't apples to apples. With stock engines i've seen up to a 15% difference in bone stock engines on the same dyno. Every engine is different. Also different days on the same dyno can vary as well. Sasha is also on a larger .82 a/r turbine housing and has a free flowing exhaust. All of these make it not even close to the same car so it shouldn't be used as an exact comparison. Comparisons are all relative and just a ballpark figure.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have limited internet as I am out of town, hence no reply till now. When I dynoed 402whp I had the following:

OEM headers
Fuel return system
Haltech ems
Boost: 7.2psi at peak power (EBC not set up right at the time)
conservative timing
91is pump gas
6262 t4 .58 a/r turbine

There is something weird about this car. The tuners are great so take that off the table right now. It is very strange to see the power go so flat so early. This is a first and there are about thirty of these kits out there. I have seen most of the dyno charts.

I will go back and see what my car does with the current setup. It now has headers and a 6265 bb 68 a/r turbo.

I am thinking that your nismo exhaust may be a problem...that is the only thing I can think of.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 06-28-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM
smalmo1

Jeff, we both have 2006 models with the RevUp.

Thanks for posting Sasha. I was pretty sure you had the same set up as me with your 402 hp run and that there is an issue with the car but didn't want to speak for you.

That is possible I suppose. I had that concern before I got the kit but couldn't find anything searching about issues with it on other people's set ups. I will go back to the dyno and unbolt the exhaust to see what happens. If it makes the power I will have to see if you can find time when you are back from your time off to weld me up a turbo-back exhaust like yours. Also going to need this open dump recirculated, it is insane.

Quick Reply: BP 6266E on RevUp Dyno Results