Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Boosted Performance & R/T Tuning..My build

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:19 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice. Mine isn't very accurate on the amount it produced because the clutch let go but it pulled 652hp/582tq at 20psi with the 6765 and .96 ar so that new 66 wheel is a beast. You are also on pumpgas so that's nice as well! I can't imagine what the spool would be like with e85. I gained about 500rpm on my setup with it.

What boost controller are you using? what is the spring pressure set at before using the controller?

also, could you post vids with how that exhaust sounds? I'm using a cutout but I'm starting to sway towards going back to a free flowing exhaust so I don't have to mess with anything. I just want something that isn't ricy (rattling and cackling) and not too loud.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not too bad for a complete kit priced at $6550 .... (with the upgrade to 800cc injectors)

Congrats on joining the 600whp VQ club, and good luck at the track.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 09-30-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

really dosnt look like the turbo is falling off at all either that turbo is amazing for the size............................. damn i need to decided what to do come tax time lol i dont see why we cant extract even ounce of what those turbos can put out on our platform, heck supras are already exceeding what they rated for lol

that wheel makes me wanna send mine in just to have the better wheel lol

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 AM
gixx76
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder

What boost controller are you using? what is the spring pressure set at before using the controller?

AEM trueboost14.7psi spring, there is a little creep most likely due to the wastegate being a little small for the system and due to the fact that it is recirculated but no biggie.

also, could you post vids with how that exhaust sounds? I'm using a cutout but I'm starting to sway towards going back to a free flowing exhaust so I don't have to mess with anything. I just want something that isn't ricy (rattling and cackling) and not too loud.

Will post some sound clips once the **** weather passes over hear, the exhaust note is not ricy at all, very deep and growls but not obnoxious.
Originally Posted by jerryd87
really dosnt look like the turbo is falling off at all either that turbo is amazing for the size............

Just what Vince said, there is still quite a bit of room to play before this set up is maxed out, so I am happy with the numbers being so high and still having it be a conservative tune.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 AM
gixx76
Banned

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Not too bad for a complete kit priced at $6550 .... (with the upgrade to 800cc injectors)

Congrats on joining the 600whp VQ club, and good luck at the track.
Thanks Sasha, for all your help along the way as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM
binder

What size is that wastegate? I have an MVS which is 38mm for my 67mm turbo. I don't see boost creep at all on those graphs. If there is any creep I would say it is due to the exhaust backpressure instead of the wastegate. I thought I had a small wastegate because mine wouldn't go below 11psi no matter how light of spring I put in the wastegate. I changed out my exhaust and the problem instantly went away. Since you are running 100% of exhaust gas through the pipes (recirculated wastegate) then you have a higher chance of backpressure.

I don't see creep though so i wouldn't think twice about it.

Jerry, they are pushing over 700hp on stock block supra's with the 6266. That's what Reid pushed on his at least. We are only .5 liter larger so it should be similar. Considering the turbo is efficient up to mid 30 psi and it is at 600hp with only 18psi It has quite a bit more potential.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
gixx76
Banned

I now remember that is what Vince did say, that it was most likely caused by the WG being recirculated and that it would probably be the actual spring pressure if it was open dump. Oh well it rocks the show and that is waht matters to me)

What size is that wastegate? I have an MVS which is 38mm for my 67mm turbo. I don't see boost creep at all on those graphs. If there is any creep I would say it is due to the exhaust backpressure instead of the wastegate. I thought I had a small wastegate because mine wouldn't go below 11psi no matter how light of spring I put in the wastegate. I changed out my exhaust and the problem instantly went away. Since you are running 100% of exhaust gas through the pipes (recirculated wastegate) then you have a higher chance of backpressure.

I don't see creep though so i wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

To clear up on the boost creep stuff...

I got a call from Vince on Thursday when the car was put back together and the first few runs were made. He told me that there was boost creep, 11psi spring was going up to 14psi. This was a first and I couldn't really think of a case where this was an issue (35+ kits out there now). I thought about it some more, called Hal to see if he had seen anything like this with any of the kits he tuned (since he tuned a few of them)...and the answer was no. I then sent Vince an email.....saying that there may be a problem with the gate itself.

Since tial now sends all the springs out with the waste gates, it is up to the customer to install whatever spring is needed. Since customers don't install waste gate springs every day, there may have been an error made, so I thought it would be a good place to start looking for a problem. I also found out that the owner of this car also had boost creep issues right from the get go, on the stock block.

Vince sent me an email a few hours later, saying that there was a hole on the waste gate diaphragm. So problem found...

R/T tunning did not have a spare diaphragm around for the MV-S, and since the customer was on the way to pick up the car, a Comp 40mm gate was used to get the car tuned. I refunded this customer the money for the Tial MV-S gate since if was of no use, and it is going back for warranty repair/replacement.

In the end, another happy BP customer.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 10-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
gixx76
Banned

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance

I also found out that the owner of this car also had boost creep issues right from the get go, on the stock block.

Vince sent me an email a few hours later, saying that there was a hole on the waste gate diaphragm. So problem found...

Correct the WG had the 8.7psi spring installed with the stock block and I would get between 9.5psi - 10.8 psi with that spring which must have something to do with a defective WG

still though with the new Turbosmart WG and 14psi spring the car pulls 15.5psi, it was explained to me that this could be because the WG is recirculated and would most likely not occur if it was open dump...either way the comment below could not be more true)

In the end, another happy BP customer.
I could not be happier with the service and quality from both BP and R/T tuning
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gixx76
I could not be happier with the service and quality from both BP and R/T tuning
Good good. Glad to read both Vince and Sasha took car of you in the end and made sure you left with a running car. If only more shops worked the same way. Good luck with it and have fun
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM
binder

ah, i knew it had to be something besides wastegate size.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 AM
gixx76
Banned

Originally Posted by graffkid732
Good good. Glad to read both Vince and Sasha took car of you in the end and made sure you left with a running car. If only more shops worked the same way. Good luck with it and have fun
Thanks graffkid, Finally have some nice weather to be able to get some road time in. traction is an issue but I guess with that much power traction is something that is a tough one to get right.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice and glad all is well now.

600whp sounds so fun.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Shin Beats

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question on the engine build..did R/T source it from another builder or did they actually do the machining, rod/piston work, etc. themselves?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shin Beats
Question on the engine build..did R/T source it from another builder or did they actually do the machining, rod/piston work, etc. themselves?
We don't do any block machining in house. We do everything else, all clearance work, ring filing, head work and assembly in house.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 AM
binder

Originally Posted by gixx76
Thanks graffkid, Finally have some nice weather to be able to get some road time in. traction is an issue but I guess with that much power traction is something that is a tough one to get right.
What are you using for tires? I was running Mickey thompson 305/35-18 drag radials. I could only get my camber to -1.2* and with 650hp I was lacking quite a bit of traction on the street.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM
gixx76
Banned

What are you using for tires? I was running Mickey thompson 305/35-18 drag radials. I could only get my camber to -1.2* and with 650hp I was lacking quite a bit of traction on the street.
Street tires are Hankook ventus V12..camber is -1.8* very little traction from one through three, will be getting a track set up with 18's and some cup tires for my track days, hopefully 18's will fit around the Akebono big brake kit

Last edited by gixx76; 10-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 PM
binder

bias ply are the best things for track use. They will absorb the impact off the line and save your axles as well. Not sure if anyone makes an 18" bias ply though.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 PM
350z-Na

I don't know if I missed but was any head work done?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM
binder

Originally Posted by 350z-Na
I don't know if I missed but was any head work done?
stock heads and cams from what I was told.

Quick Reply: Boosted Performance & R/T Tuning..My build