Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Advice welcome on next steps for vortech build

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
jamestown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice welcome on next steps for vortech build

Hello my350z!

This forum has helped me a lot in the past so thanks to all that contribute!

I've been boosted for ~30000km and recently went to my first track day. The combination of that and some of the recent vortech build threads on here have definitly planted the seed, I think it is time to try for more power

I still want the car to be somewhat reliable. I'd also like be able to pass emissions tests here in Southern Ontario. I think that limits me to using osiris uprev to tune and stock cats. As far as I know, other engine management will throw an 'N/A' emission state which I think will fail.

I must admit in my original build I thought I was limited by osiris so my power goals weren't that high, however there are some recent builds on here using this engine management with over 400 rwhp. What do you guys think?

So my new goals would be
- more power
- pass emissions (keep cats and osiris)

Current mods:
2006 g35c (rev up)
Vortech v3 tuner kit (stock pully 3.12")
Osiris uprev tune
Walbro 255 pump
ID 725cc injectors
Motordyne mrev2 and spacer
One step colder plugs
Exedy stage one clutch
Boost/afr gauges

The tune resulted in 337 rwhp

Mods I'm considering:
2.87" pully
Uprev maf
Motordyne cat back exhaust
Meth/water injection

Is this going to get me where I need to be? All feedback welcome!

Last edited by jamestown; 07-16-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good, except for the pointless water/meth injection.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:02 PM
jamestown

Thanks for the response ruthless. Do you feel that water/meth injection is overkill or that it isn't cost effective in improving reliability?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
TWINEMINDER

A fuel return System wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestown
Thanks for the response ruthless. Do you feel that water/meth injection is overkill or that it isn't cost effective in improving reliability?
It'll let you run a bit more ignition safely.

Definitely get a return kit.

And get a good tuner.

I'd stick with osiris. Maf is fine for linear boost like an S/C.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock cats are going to be holding you back. I wouldn't expect much more 400whp before toasting them. Anything more than you have now is going to shorten their life, especially if the tune is not spot on. I've seen stock cats go in less than a month at 400whp with an overly conservative (rich) tune.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM
jamestown

Originally Posted by TWINEMINDER
A fuel return System wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Originally Posted by Resmarted
Definitely get a return kit.
Alright I'll definitely look into return kit options. Something like the CJM stage zero perhaps?

Originally Posted by djamps
Stock cats are going to be holding you back. I wouldn't expect much more 400whp before toasting them. Anything more than you have now is going to shorten their life, especially if the tune is not spot on. I've seen stock cats go in less than a month at 400whp with an overly conservative (rich) tune.
I actually hadn't considered that. I knew the cats are holding me back but I guess I never thought about burning through them at an alarming rate. That could become unpractical pretty quickly. If I have to work around that I'd imagine I'm back to switching cats on and off for the tests?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Swapping cats for test pipes or finding a shady inspection guy is more common than you may think
Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 AM
mvp2765

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cats aren't cheap to replace. Just do a quick swap right before the tests.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Alright I'll definitely look into return kit options. Something like the CJM stage zero perhaps?

I actually hadn't considered that. I knew the cats are holding me back but I guess I never thought about burning through them at an alarming rate. That could become unpractical pretty quickly. If I have to work around that I'd imagine I'm back to switching cats on and off for the tests?
That is the smart thing to do. Like another member mentioned, OEM cats are very expensive even on the used market... you don't want to be shopping for them anytime soon.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 AM
jamestown

That is the smart thing to do. Like another member mentioned, OEM cats are very expensive even on the used market... you don't want to be shopping for them anytime soon.
I just called the local dealership and they quoted 1092$ PER cat. Are they serious? 2200 for the pair? Shocked

Well thanks for that tip haha!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Ruthless18x

It's not overkill or anything, it's just that it becomes a dependency.

+1 on the fuel return.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
TWINEMINDER

The stage 0 will be enough to support 400whp.....you could always just add rails and lines if you get the itch again to move higher again....which you will
Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a set of great condition oem cats (scored top marks last smog).

HMU if anyone's interested.

*shameless plug*
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM
jamestown

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
It's not overkill or anything, it's just that it becomes a dependency.

+1 on the fuel return.
I know what you mean. I actually considered just running water, but then I'd have to blow the system out for the winter months and that seems like too much work to me... Maybe it isn't that bad, not sure.

Originally Posted by TWINEMINDER
The stage 0 will be enough to support 400whp.....you could always just add rails and lines if you get the itch again to move higher again....which you will
Thanks for the advice! You know me too well already.

Originally Posted by Resmarted
I have a set of great condition oem cats (scored top marks last smog).

HMU if anyone's interested.

*shameless plug*
glws? haha!

That is the smart thing to do.
Alright I am convinced. For exhaust then I think I'll be looking at ART pipes and perhaps the xyz pipe. After listening to a lot of videos I'm not sure that I could handle the volume of ART combined with the tdx v2. My ears just arn't manly enough!

Going to buy stuff soon! I'll post my proposed shopping list sometime tommorow.

Last edited by jamestown; 07-18-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: terrible spelling
Old 07-19-2012, 07:07 AM
jamestown

Alright here it is:

CJM Fuel Return System Stage 0
2.87" pulley
Two 93.0" serpentine belts
Motordyne ART pipes
Motordyne XYZ + resonator
Uprev MAF
Oil cooler (stillen perhaps?)

I'm going to order this stuff by the end of tomorrow. Any last minute change advice welcome.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:32 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

looks good.

try www.redlinemotorsports.com for an oil cooler kit. Bigger cooler and half the price as the Stillen (stillen charges about 200$ just to stamp their name on it). I would recommend getting the thermostat controlled adapter plate if you drive the car year round.

I think you'll be ok with doing just the pulley swap but do'nt let people tell you the meth is pointless. If you do track days it would be nice to have a meth map in osiris so you can switch over and run a little more timing and keep the intake temps down on the track. It would be a HUGE help on the track.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
jamestown

Originally Posted by binder
looks good.

try www.redlinemotorsports.com for an oil cooler kit. Bigger cooler and half the price as the Stillen (stillen charges about 200$ just to stamp their name on it). I would recommend getting the thermostat controlled adapter plate if you drive the car year round.

I think you'll be ok with doing just the pulley swap but do'nt let people tell you the meth is pointless. If you do track days it would be nice to have a meth map in osiris so you can switch over and run a little more timing and keep the intake temps down on the track. It would be a HUGE help on the track.

I think that URL is broken? I didn't have any luck in google either after a quick search. That does sound promising however.

I agree with what you are saying about the meth kit too. I haven't written it off completely. I was thinking about putting it off for the moment, as I won't be back to the track until the fall. Perhaps next summer!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 AM
TWINEMINDER

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...install-5.html

Here's another members idea that worked out well....any DIY kit is gonna come out cheaper (and more gratifying if you put it together) than an out of the box kit like the Stillen. The Stillen is a nice piece and although everything you will need to install it is nicely grouped in that expensive package, they've really only designed it to go in one place...with some manuvering I'm sure it can be placed where you want it but might as well do your own custom setup at that point....You can get everything cheap at summit and choose the size of your cooler, what type of lines, fittings etc. and ultimately price!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Ruthless18x

Originally Posted by binder
I agree for drag racing, but not for HPDE / NASA. It's too easy to run out while driving, then need to refill, etc. It's a major PITA.

I should of been more clear in my posts, not knowing what "track" the OP was taking about.

Quick Reply: Advice welcome on next steps for vortech build