Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Decided to go Supercharged: Build Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 AM
f150intally

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by esdot
Hmmm given that I'm in Edmonton Canada, and I do drive this guy in the Winter, I suppose an LSD would be a no brainer!?

I'm looking at a Quaife QDF11L for $1149
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...068.148.73.178

Good choice?
I have a Quaiffe that I will sell you. Putting mines back to stock. Has 3,000 miles on it and was awesome. I can either swap pumpkins or send you the quaiffe. PM me if you are interested.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
For your stated sub-400whp intentions, headers and a return fuel system are not necessary and would be a waste of money that would be better left to save up for the GT-R. Although not necessary to reach your modest power goal, I would get high flow cats or resonated cat-delete pipes before I would invest in headers. The headers flow fine for 400whp. The stock cats would be more of a restriction.

As for clutch, the JWT clutch is very popular and would be another good choice for that power level.
+1, headers are a waste on stock block. I think buying an expensive rear end is also a waste for non track car.

and there is nothing boring about paddle shifters when you can run below 11second 1/4 mile on street tires and stock turbos with a tune.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 AM
esdot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wicked, thanks everyone for the input, I think I have a pretty solid build plan laid out now:
  • Vortech V3 Supercharger - $5400
  • 3.12" Pulley Upgrade - $100
  • Up-Rev Osiris Tuner - $699
  • Nismo S-Tune Exhaust - $1249
  • JWT Heavy Duty Clutch - $400
  • Quaife LSD - $1149
  • Replacement C009 Transmission - $1699

The total is coming in around $10,700.

Hopefully this will net me something like 360whp and breath some new life into the old girl

Final thoughts?? I will probably order the rest of the parts tomorrow and post back with some dyno sheets in a few weeks... It's a couple hours drive to the closest UpRev Tuner, should make for a fun day trip!

Last edited by esdot; 08-20-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a solid list. A couple questions though... Why did you choose the Nismo exhaust? Absolutely love the sound and/or prefer the stock sleeper look? The reason I ask is because there are better flowing true dual exhausts out there for around the same price or considerably less.

Also, what about gauges? I would at least get a boost gauge and either an AFR or oil pressure gauge.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

You might want to get a Fujitsubo, it's quiet and doesn't look ridiculous.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:56 AM
TunerMax

Winter with a Supercharged 350z?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 AM
esdot

Originally Posted by TunerMax
Winter with a Supercharged 350z?

Haha I know right, well I made it 2 years with 300hp already

I'm thinking I can just pull off the SC belt during winter anyways no?? If not, I will make it work! Or buy a beater truck....

@Rude - I chose the Nismo cause a) The sounds seems pretty awesome to my ears, b) I'd heard some offhand comments that a little back pressure is good for the SC, and a single exhaust is preferable to true dual.

@ Flo-Ridda - Is that a reference to the Nismo looking ridiculous?? Fujitsubo looks interesting.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 AM
tcode

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Backpressure is always your enemy. The speed of exhaust gases should be your concern with "big" exhaust system.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM
TimsZee

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Under 400hp should be fine for the Nismo exhaust. I have it with test pipes and I haven't heard any exhaust come close to the sound, you could always go with Motordyne. Only thing I dislike about the Nismo exhaust is I had to replace the Y pipe after 15k-ish miles and some welds are starting to break. No big deal just need to re-weld them!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 AM
TunerMax

Haha I know right, well I made it 2 years with 300hp already

I'm thinking I can just pull off the SC belt during winter anyways no?? If not, I will make it work! Or buy a beater truck....
You could do that, you'll need to get a tune for running N/A with the bigger injectors though.

And 300hp is rated hp, in real life that's, what, like 240 WHP?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you get a tune, the entire map is done, not just positive pressure. Why would he need anything additional if he wanted to take off the cog belt? The car is already tuned for vacuum
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Could have stayed local and gone with a turbo kit for about the same price

Good luck with the build, and good to see another boosted VQ in E-town.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

10k for 360whp when you are going to sell the platform?

Honestly man you're going to loose about 70% of what you put in. I would really say just sell that supercharger, get an exhaust el cheapo CAI and maybe a spacer. Hell get a reflash too. That's just soo much time and money to spend on a car that you're going to sell... and replace with a far far better car.

You'd be a lot better off putting the money in the bank.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by str8dum1
When you get a tune, the entire map is done, not just positive pressure. Why would he need anything additional if he wanted to take off the cog belt? The car is already tuned for vacuum
I guess I just assumed

Thanks for clearing that up. So you're saying a car tuned for boost and 600cc injectors will run fine if you simply disconnect the boost?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TunerMax
I guess I just assumed

Thanks for clearing that up. So you're saying a car tuned for boost and 600cc injectors will run fine if you simply disconnect the boost?
Yes......
Old 08-20-2012, 07:00 PM
binder

Where are you buying a cd009 for 1600$? What's the canadian exchange rate? I sold my extra cd009 for 750$

Why are you putting a 1200$ rear end on a non-tracked car? The stock rear end works great for even my 650hp car so it would be a waste of money on a daily driver.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
esdot

Originally Posted by Resmarted
10k for 360whp when you are going to sell the platform?

Honestly man you're going to loose about 70% of what you put in. I would really say just sell that supercharger, get an exhaust el cheapo CAI and maybe a spacer. Hell get a reflash too. That's just soo much time and money to spend on a car that you're going to sell... and replace with a far far better car.

You'd be a lot better off putting the money in the bank.
Not planning on selling, it's not worth it is it... This is more about having fun for a couple more years (scratching my modding itch), and I'll probably keep it around as the 'beater'

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Could have stayed local and gone with a turbo kit for about the same price
Well I'm a lazy bastard and the potential headaches of Turbo seems like something I don't want to deal with... If I knew there was someone local with awesome kits like yours and ability to provide support, I might've changed my mind! Had no idea... Your power numbers are pretty crazy though, it's probably a bit of a can of worms at that point!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by binder
Where are you buying a cd009 for 1600$? What's the canadian exchange rate? I sold my extra cd009 for 750$

Why are you putting a 1200$ rear end on a non-tracked car? The stock rear end works great for even my 650hp car so it would be a waste of money on a daily driver.
Do you have an open diff though like the OP? I wouldn't run an open diff with FI even on a DD street car. An OEM VLSD swap would be a much cheaper option though for the OP's needs.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 PM
binder

Well I'm a lazy bastard and the potential headaches of Turbo seems like something I don't want to deal with... If I knew there was someone local with awesome kits like yours and ability to provide support, I might've changed my mind! Had no idea... Your power numbers are pretty crazy though, it's probably a bit of a can of worms at that point!
Would have been worth it. Better torque, ability to upgrade later down the road, local support......

I always got crushed by domestics off the line or even in a roll due to my lack of tq with my vortech. 507hp but only 390tq. At the same time single turbo systems are 400hp/400tq so 100hp less generates more tq. "torque wins races, horsepower sells cars" -Carol Shelby
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I'm a lazy bastard and the potential headaches of Turbo seems like something I don't want to deal with...
I wish you all the best with your build, but there is a reason Vortech owners carry tools and an extra belt in the trunk "just in case". Not sure where the headaches with a turbo kits come from, but I have not had to do anything (maintenance wise) with my for 3 years now.

Again, good luck with the build, and make sure you get get a proper tune.

Quick Reply: Decided to go Supercharged: Build Advice?