Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My V7 YSi Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Threads
This is what I was worried about. After looking over the Vortech manual, I think the revup kits came with these spacers. 350z006, did you buy those spacers from Vortech or did you get them from a hardware store?

If you have a non-revup I think you shouldn't have a problem, as per OldmanZ, but those spacers in the pic did come stock with the revup Vortech kit, due to the layout of the revup kit...

I, for one, would be in for a damper.

I'm wondering if ATI would also be able to make all of the pulleys needed to make this setup work, or if it's easier to try to find 10-rib pulleys and larger tensioners that are already mass-produced...
I'm pretty sure Vortech also sells bigger 8 to 10 rib pulleys as well...just a guess here...

Last edited by 350z006; 12-28-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You will fall way short of what that blower can do on pumpgas until you upgrade your fuel system. On a small vortech I ran out of single pump walbro with stage 0 below 500hp. The t-trim blowers on here are right at 600hp on pump gas so this ysi should easily get you 600hp on pump gas. You will need at minimum walbro 400 but I honestly think it will take a twin pump since superchargers eat up so much extra fuel due to drag.

Looks like it will be a sweet setup though
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 AM
350z006

+1....for my 600whp setup I upgraded to a CJM stage 2, with fuel rails, hard pipe etc, ID 1000cc injectors and even had to directly wire my Walbro 400 to the battery, before I finally had enough fuel....the only thing I'm missing from my setup to max out my fuel setup is the CJM twin pump.....that's the nature of thirsty higher power Vortech setups...

Originally Posted by binder
You will fall way short of what that blower can do on pumpgas until you upgrade your fuel system. On a small vortech I ran out of single pump walbro with stage 0 below 500hp. The t-trim blowers on here are right at 600hp on pump gas so this ysi should easily get you 600hp on pump gas. You will need at minimum walbro 400 but I honestly think it will take a twin pump since superchargers eat up so much extra fuel due to drag.

Looks like it will be a sweet setup though
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z006
+1....for my 600whp setup I upgraded to a CJM stage 2, with fuel rails, hard pipe etc, ID 1000cc injectors and even had to directly wire my Walbro 400 to the battery, before I finally had enough fuel....the only thing I'm missing from my setup to max out my fuel setup is the CJM twin pump.....that's the nature of thirsty higher power Vortech setups...
Yeah, I've been looking closely at the CJM Stage 3.

A little update, I've been doing some research and I've found all the pulleys I'll need to upgrade my bracket to 10 groove. Apparently, Dayco makes the pulleys on our Vortech brackets, and I was able to find the 10 groove equivalents from a vendor for ~$50. Vortech sells the 10 groove supercharger pulley for ~$100. Not too bad there.

I've also reached out to ATI, and the rep I've spoke to has gave me the estimate of "custom damper cost starts at $850 and could take as long as 9 months to complete (since they do custom work in between production work)". I'm still waiting on further information to see if I can get a more accurate time/cost quote. I'm also reaching out to Fluidampr as well, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

If getting a custom pulley is going to take the better part of a year to get made, I'm wondering if I'd be worth experimenting with the following on the 6 groove setup:

- 6.78" ATI Crank Pulley and a larger 928M supercharger pulley for more belt wrap.
- Utilizing a second GTM pulley mod for the lower portion of the belt (I believe this is similar to, or is, the Timrod setup.)
- Coating the supercharger pulley with: http://www.carbiniteracing.com/index.html
- Getting a Gates FleetRunner Green Strip HD belt
- Getting the correct sized cog pulleys to spin the blower to the desired rpms.

Experimenting with this setup wouldn't cost too too much initially, and I'm sure I could sell these parts when I'm ready to upgrade to a higher groove setup. I believe 350z006 is using a 6 groove and is hitting 600whp which is right around my "immediate" goals. This would also allow me to upgrade my fuel system earlier rather than later.

With all that being said, someone talk some sense into me. All criticism welcomed!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Triji

Talk some sense into you?? scr ew that!... Just do it!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
350z006

Attached Thumbnails My V7 YSi Build-vortech_justdoit_zps34d27687.jpg  

Last edited by 350z006; 01-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (03-08-2018)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Threads

Lmao. Are the "just do it" comments referring to my proposed 6 groove setup?? I'm just trying to gauge, from those who've done more research than me, whether or not I'm wasting my time even messing with the 6 groove
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Triji

I was going to suggest a Richard Racing Pulley, I have a 2.8 sitting in my garage I WAS going to install but not after reading this thread on a SVT forum I ran across... Not sure it would be worth the hassle of shredded belts and the aluminum seizing on the shaft.

Link: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-good-bad.html

Link 2: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...elt-abuse.html

Makes me almost wonder about the 928 pulley's being aluminum... 928's seem to have a great rep on here though. Think I will stick to the Vortech 2.87 pulley once I get my motor build complete until there is more time given to these pullies and I can guage any problems that may arise.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by Triji
I was going to suggest a Richard Racing Pulley, I have a 2.8 sitting in my garage I WAS going to install but not after reading this thread on a SVT forum I ran across... Not sure it would be worth the hassle of shredded belts and the aluminum seizing on the shaft.

Link: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-good-bad.html

Link 2: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...elt-abuse.html

Makes me almost wonder about the 928 pulley's being aluminum... 928's seem to have a great rep on here though. Think I will stick to the Vortech 2.87 pulley once I get my motor build complete until there is more time given to these pullies and I can guage any problems that may arise.

According to Vortech, their pulleys are also aluminum. However, Vortech pulleys seem to be the only ones that are "hard" anodized.

Vortech 6-Rib Supercharger Pulleys are machined from 6061 T-6, hard anodized aluminum with the proper profile to maximize surface contact area for precise fit.
With most of the more popular pulleys being made out of aluminum, maybe the material isn't the cause of those RR pulley failures?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
juicinjake

Yeah, I've been looking closely at the CJM Stage 3.

A little update, I've been doing some research and I've found all the pulleys I'll need to upgrade my bracket to 10 groove. Apparently, Dayco makes the pulleys on our Vortech brackets, and I was able to find the 10 groove equivalents from a vendor for ~$50. Vortech sells the 10 groove supercharger pulley for ~$100. Not too bad there.

I've also reached out to ATI, and the rep I've spoke to has gave me the estimate of "custom damper cost starts at $850 and could take as long as 9 months to complete (since they do custom work in between production work)". I'm still waiting on further information to see if I can get a more accurate time/cost quote. I'm also reaching out to Fluidampr as well, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

If getting a custom pulley is going to take the better part of a year to get made, I'm wondering if I'd be worth experimenting with the following on the 6 groove setup:

- 6.78" ATI Crank Pulley and a larger 928M supercharger pulley for more belt wrap.
- Utilizing a second GTM pulley mod for the lower portion of the belt (I believe this is similar to, or is, the Timrod setup.)
- Coating the supercharger pulley with: http://www.carbiniteracing.com/index.html
- Getting a Gates FleetRunner Green Strip HD belt
- Getting the correct sized cog pulleys to spin the blower to the desired rpms.

Experimenting with this setup wouldn't cost too too much initially, and I'm sure I could sell these parts when I'm ready to upgrade to a higher groove setup. I believe 350z006 is using a 6 groove and is hitting 600whp which is right around my "immediate" goals. This would also allow me to upgrade my fuel system earlier rather than later.

With all that being said, someone talk some sense into me. All criticism welcomed!
when i talked to dave at ATI he said if i already had the superdamper he would just need to make me a custom outter shell for around $350. who were you talking to there?

can you pm me the info about where to buy the ten rib pullies? im still gonna go through with this. it would save me some time.

as far as staying 6-rib for now, i think thats a good idea to at least get started. id start by carbinite coating your blower pulley only and see where that gets you. if those guys have mustangs in the 8's on 8-ribs, im sure a 6-rib would be a decent starting point for a vq. like i said, im gonna do the 10-rib. id rather overbuild it the first time and never have to mess with it again...
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by juicinjake
when i talked to dave at ATI he said if i already had the superdamper he would just need to make me a custom outter shell for around $350. who were you talking to there?

can you pm me the info about where to buy the ten rib pullies? im still gonna go through with this. it would save me some time.

as far as staying 6-rib for now, i think thats a good idea to at least get started. id start by carbinite coating your blower pulley only and see where that gets you. if those guys have mustangs in the 8's on 8-ribs, im sure a 6-rib would be a decent starting point for a vq. like i said, im gonna do the 10-rib. id rather overbuild it the first time and never have to mess with it again...
juicinjake, I have been in contact with John Lane @ ATI through email. I also faxed them a custom damper form.

I'll PM you the Dayco pulley info, and the site I found them for sale in a few moments.

I think I may start out with the green strip belt and 6.78" ATI damper, especially if it will only cost me $350 for a new outer shell if i ever decide to upgrade to a higher groove setup (Apparently it's cheaper than getting a "custom" pulley built.) I also have my old 3.33 supercharger pulley lying around; that with a 30 tooth cog on the blower should get the blower spinning to about 54k rpms. I'll use that as my baseline. If everything checks out, I'll get the coating on the supercharger pulley that I end up deciding to run "daily".
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Threads

Sorry for the lack of updates, but it's been tough getting work done on the car working almost 7 days a week.

Name:  photo-2_zps3536e072.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  74.9 KB

Got the old motor out, and I'm hoping to have the new motor back in Sunday. I just need to install the twin disc, headers, and some misc items, and the motor should be ready to go.

Carbinite Racing is shipping back my coated 2.87" pulley today. The 2.87" pulley should have me spinning the blower between 60-65k depending on which blower cog I decide to run.

It'd be nice to have the car running early April!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM
OldManZ350

Received 229 Likes on 169 Posts

Blower Comparison

V2-SC.............1000CFM...........20PSI
V2-SCi............1050CFM...........17PSI
V2-Si..............1150CFM...........22PSI
V2-928 maybe.1200CFM......21-22PSI......I don't think it will keep up with a V1-T Trim
V1-T...............1200CFM..........26PSI.......H/D Stout Blower (note V2 modified to a T-trim is NOT the same)
V7-YSi.............1600CFM..........30PSI......H/D and under rated ( very common to make 35PSI +, and run up to 75-80,000RPM (Drag Racing) Very Stout Blower

How much WHP do you want?

Last edited by OldManZ350; 03-21-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
How much WHP do you want?
Initially, 550-600whp (Dyno Dynamics) and/or the highest I can make on pump gas.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

550-600 on a DD with the stock 6 rib serp belt?

should be interesting! good luck
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by str8dum1
550-600 on a DD with the stock 6 rib serp belt?

should be interesting! good luck
Thanks. I'm just trying the 6-rib serp setup first. If I have belt slip issues (which unfortunately I'm expecting), I'm prepared to move to a 10-rib serp setup.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 PM
OldManZ350

How is the Built motor and YSI set up coming along?

Any Updates ?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
How is the Built motor and YSI set up coming along?

Any Updates ?
It's coming along slow, but I have today and tomorrow to get the car running, at least. Motor is back in, I just need to start plugging everything in and put the front support back on.

Last edited by Threads; 04-26-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Threads

Update

Here's a quick clip of my progress up to this point:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thaboymike427/8853575085/

The only things holding me up at the moment are:
* Clogged CMC
* Leaky water hose at the rear of the motor
* Shorter air filter needed for the blower.
* Idle and idle fuel adjustments (My Haltech laptop's screen back light just went bad. How convenient??)
Old 05-27-2013, 04:00 PM
OldManZ350

It's coming together.

can you post up some pic's of the Fit of the YSi?

Thanks

Quick Reply: My V7 YSi Build