Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My V7 YSi Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My V7 YSi Build

Welcome to those of you interested in my build! I would first like to preface this thread with the link to my previous setup (V3 - 928M Impeller): https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-v3-setup.html

I have finally gathered most of the parts needed for this build. Here is what the build will consist of:

Built VQ35DE - Picked up from dozer808
- Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons
- Eagle H-beam Rods
- ACL Race Bearings
- ARP Headstuds
- Cometic Head Gasket
- RevUp Oil Pump
- P&P Heads by G&G
- Tomei 264 Cams w/10.5 Lift
- UR Aluminum Crank Pulley

Other parts picked up for this build:
- Stillen Ceramic Headers
- Z1 Twin Disc
- Vortech V7 YSi
- Oil setup from a V2 kit.
- Oil Cooler
- Oil Temp Gauge
- Fuel damper from CJM

Parts that were on the car previously:
- 928M 2.62 Pulley (Gates K060790 Belt)
- Spearco 5-383 Intercooler
- DW 300lph Fuel Pump
- ID 1000cc Injectors
- CJM Stage 0
- GTM Pulley Mod
- Haltech Platinum Pro w/Dual Widebands
- Powerlab 3/8" Spacer
- Berk TP's
- Stillen True Dual Exhaust
- Mishimoto Radiator
- Custom Catch Can

I decided to go forward with this build when my previous, stock block, setup started rod knocking. I was able to get a good deal on the YSi and the built motor, so passing this build up was extremely hard to do. The only thing I didn't care for too much was the compression ratio. It was a little lower than I wanted, but for the deal I received, I couldn't be too picky.

My goal for this build is to make as much power as I can on pump gas. Right now, I know I am going to have a few issues off the bat, however, I just want to get the car running again. The issues I foresee are:
- Belt Slip.
- Running out of fuel with just the CJM Stage 0.
- Intake for the YSi (which will have to get done before I drive the car...)

I have just a few minor things to do before I'm ready to start putting the new motor in. Here are a few pictures to hold people over until then:

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  photo-2_zpsdbfda058.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  photo1_zps2f866923.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  76.6 KB

Last edited by Threads; 12-27-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Threads

Reserved for results...
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build. Looking forward to the results.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Daddy likes!! But dump the UR crank pulley, you are better than that
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by Classy
Daddy likes!! But dump the UR crank pulley, you are better than that
I was thinking about doing so, but I was under the impression if the diameter was the same as stock, then it isn't a big deal?

If it's no trouble, could you let me know why they are so frowned upon?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
sradenton

Originally Posted by Threads
I was thinking about doing so, but I was under the impression if the diameter was the same as stock, then it isn't a big deal?

If it's no trouble, could you let me know why they are so frowned upon?
I would also recommend not using UR Crank pulley as it doesn't have Harmonic balancer. Just a pulley

Info on what harmonic balances do
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you wont find a single one of the big power guys that recommend undrive pulleys, and very few fi guys who would say go with it period even those who do will agree that you are destroying you bearings with it.

bottom line as i stated in another thread no matter how well balanced the engine is its impossible to balance the assembly for both weight and the explosive forces that will act on it during combustion(since those constantly change).

the best way is to demonstrate, grab a impact gun and go tighten and loosen bolts with it for 3 or 4 hours straight, you will notice your hand is numb, the crank will experience the same thing. even though it is a strong material the bearings are soft and that vibrating will wear them out much quicker and potentially cause them to grab and spin depending how bad it gets. ati or fluidamper pulleys absorb alot of that vibration and excess movement so that your bearings survive. definitely not snake oil its legit and well documented on the net and i guarantee with local builders also, your crank is really just a big ol tuning fork.

not to mention they are the same diameter just lightweight so your destroying bearings for mayby 1 full hp to the wheels, if that matters to you dont eat a cheeseburger before driving. even under drive only will give you mayby 3 hp and thats really pushing it and being nice, not really worth the cost of a new engine. get yourself a ati or fluidamper(personally i like the fluidamper, it dosnt work as well as the ati but it works at ALL rpm ranges. the ati works better but has to be tuned and only has a few thousand rpm range that it works effectively so it dosnt work the entire time its on the engine.)

now onto other things in my person opinion i would say get a better fuel system, then find some way to get a machine shop to make you cog pulleys for this setup so you dont slip, thats what you really need. serp setups are crap for huge power go with what works. they might even already have some who knows, but a shame to take a 1200 hp capable blower and only make 550 or 600 because belt slip or fuel limits you

Last edited by jerryd87; 12-27-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by sradenton
I would also recommend not using UR Crank pulley as it doesn't have Harmonic balancer. Just a pulley

Info on what harmonic balances do
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer
Originally Posted by jerryd87
you wont find a single one of the big power guys that recommend undrive pulleys, and very few fi guys who would say go with it period even those who do will agree that you are destroying you bearings with it.

bottom line as i stated in another thread no matter how well balanced the engine is its impossible to balance the assembly for both weight and the explosive forces that will act on it during combustion(since those constantly change).

the best way is to demonstrate, grab a impact gun and go tighten and loosen bolts with it for 3 or 4 hours straight, you will notice your hand is numb, the crank will experience the same thing. even though it is a strong material the bearings are soft and that vibrating will wear them out much quicker and potentially cause them to grab and spin depending how bad it gets. ati or fluidamper pulleys absorb alot of that vibration and excess movement so that your bearings survive. definitely not snake oil its legit and well documented on the net and i guarantee with local builders also, your crank is really just a big ol tuning fork.

not to mention they are the same diameter just lightweight so your destroying bearings for mayby 1 full hp to the wheels, if that matters to you dont eat a cheeseburger before driving. even under drive only will give you mayby 3 hp and thats really pushing it and being nice, not really worth the cost of a new engine. get yourself a ati or fluidamper(personally i like the fluidamper, it dosnt work as well as the ati but it works at ALL rpm ranges. the ati works better but has to be tuned and only has a few thousand rpm range that it works effectively so it dosnt work the entire time its on the engine.)

now onto other things in my person opinion i would say get a better fuel system, then find some way to get a machine shop to make you cog pulleys for this setup so you dont slip, thats what you really need. serp setups are crap for huge power go with what works. they might even already have some who knows, but a shame to take a 1200 hp capable blower and only make 550 or 600 because belt slip or fuel limits you
Thanks for the info guys. All of the threads I've read regarding the UR pulley seemed to never mention the harmonic balancer. I also agree that the gains of a lightweight pulley are no where near worth the potential damage it could do because of the lack of a balancer.

jerryd87, I'm pretty sure I'll eventually upgrade to a higher CJM stage for this build. For the sake of getting the car running first and meeting my immediate goals of maxing out on pump, I may not have to right away.

I also agree that to get the max out of this setup, it's going to need a higher ribbed serp, or as you suggested, a cog setup. Now I maybe thinking of this the wrong way, but in order to run a modified pulley setup, I'd have to get a crank pulley fabricated as well. Wouldn't this put me in the same situation as with the UR pulley? Or will a competent machine shop be able to replicate the OEM crank pulley's harmonic balancer?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Don't quote me here, but I think I remember my ATI being overdriven and in a supercharged application actually increases hp
Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the pulley.. either use a fluid style damper or a stock pulley.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 PM
TempestZ

Sub'd for the results!
Sounds like it will be a monster.
Also, are you planning to use meth/water mixture at all? or straight pump gas?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:46 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice build in for results. Good luck with everything.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
jerryd87

you can do similar to how small block chevys used to bolting an additonal pulley on. im not sure on the ati but the fluidamper has three bolt holes you could bolt a pulley onto for a cog setup. for maximum strength i would have one that actually sunk into the pulley though and bolted onto the crank with the big crank bolt. if you look at the fluidamper you will see what yah mean.

kinda like this you have it machine to fit so you have both, would have to look but i think this might actually be the 350z pulley lol

Originally Posted by Threads
Thanks for the info guys. All of the threads I've read regarding the UR pulley seemed to never mention the harmonic balancer. I also agree that the gains of a lightweight pulley are no where near worth the potential damage it could do because of the lack of a balancer.

jerryd87, I'm pretty sure I'll eventually upgrade to a higher CJM stage for this build. For the sake of getting the car running first and meeting my immediate goals of maxing out on pump, I may not have to right away.

I also agree that to get the max out of this setup, it's going to need a higher ribbed serp, or as you suggested, a cog setup. Now I maybe thinking of this the wrong way, but in order to run a modified pulley setup, I'd have to get a crank pulley fabricated as well. Wouldn't this put me in the same situation as with the UR pulley? Or will a competent machine shop be able to replicate the OEM crank pulley's harmonic balancer?

Last edited by jerryd87; 12-27-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Quamen

I had a custom 8-rib pulled made many years ago by UR. ATI can easily make you one that will have 8-10 ribs and be good for your engine. I would start with then since technically their multi piece dampers are configurable.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Quamen

ATI also offers cog attachments that can be bolted to their dampers. We did this on our YSi powered 928.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

In for results. Looks like a fun project!

Chris
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
jerryd87

that might be the best option for this build then i personally dont like how it only works for a limited rpm range but since so many have had just as much success with ati as fluidamper then i cant say its bad lol
Originally Posted by Quamen
ATI also offers cog attachments that can be bolted to their dampers. We did this on our YSi powered 928.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

+1....another good thing about dampened pulleys (whether ATI or Fluidampr) is that their diameter is bigger than the stock crank pulley so technically that means more belt wrap and hopefully less chance of slippage....but really, its hard to say if that'll be enough to minimize slippage; really a sure way to ensure no slippage is a custom cog belt setup, aka more $$...

BTW OP, good luck with the build and power!

Originally Posted by Quamen
Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 PM
jerryd87

thats why i like my turbos, no belt slippage =D
Old 12-27-2012, 06:06 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

IMO, To do it right, you need a Minimum of a 10 Rib.... 10 rib with a V7 YSi is very common and works well to 35PSI. I don't like a Cog setup for the Street, but that is just me. ATI can build you a complete set rib or cog, and so can many other places.

A new friend of mind told me about a New Coating for Pulleys, Looks Very Intesting. http://www.carbiniteracing.com/index.html

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: My V7 YSi Build