Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

my turbo build - TN

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 AM
axeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My DIY Turbo Build - Turbonetics ST

I thought it was about time to start a project log for this car. I’ve owned this base model, 6MT, 2004.5 350z since 2008. I bought it with around 42k miles on the ODO and it has just shy of 90k on it now. I drove the hell out of the car until 2010 when I got a beater (or two) to help keep the miles off, and then I switched jobs and my commute went from 170 miles a day to 5.

(That’s my wife, looking for sandwich ingredients under the hood.)

So the Z is more or less a pleasure vehicle at this point. I have added a few modifications since I bought it:
- Volk GT-C 19” wheels
- Nismo spoiler
- Kinetix plenum
- eBay intake
- TurboXS UTEC
- Under drive pulley set
- TopSpeed Pro Exhaust (cat back)
- Carputer, stereo, etc.

I do love the car, but in all honesty, it’s slow. I’ve spent a lot of time messing around with 4-cyl turbo cars, so I have always been a bit disappointed at the actual acceleration the car has. Granted, the heavier wheels don’t help much, but the handling is fantastic. Apart from how heavy the car is and the acceleration being just “ok,” everything else is great; brakes, handling, cornering, comfort; etc. I have autocrossed the car a few times and it is always pretty competitive too.

But I’ve always wanted to be able to get some more straight-line speed. Especially now that all my buddies have upgraded from their WRXs and SRT-4s to bigger, faster cars; now they drive a 335i BMW and a Lexus ISF. Well, I was dumb enough to leave a high-paying job to go back to school and get my law degree. Living off student loans isn’t easy, especially being married and having no personal income. But all that changed earlier this year when I got a nice legal job. I’m almost done with law school and have decided that I want to turbocharge my Z before I start studying for the bar exam(s).

Now onto business. First off, I know I’ll get flamed for this part: parts for these cars are too expensive. I get the fact that these cars were expensive when new, and that a lot of R&D went into trying to stuff various forced induction kits into this very tight engine bay, but it still boggles my mind to see $5000+ “tuner” kits out there, for ANY kind of car. I have always been more of a DIY kind of guy, myself, and I’ve always been cheap when it comes to buying parts. I never pay retail for anything if I can avoid it, and I install all my own parts.

I tossed around the idea of fabricating my own kit for a long time. I compared all of the various designs that are out there (Momentum, Boosted Performance, Greddy, Powerlab, APS, Turbonetics, STS, etc) and weighed the pros and cons of each design, mostly focusing on which would be the easiest one to fabricate myself. I even tried to purchase just the hot-side pipes from any manufacturer that I could find (including the Chinese TN knockoff “Godspeed” kit), but I was either ignored, denied, or offered what I considered to be too high a cost. I was very close to just throwing in the towel and fabbing up my own kit, when I ran across a used Turbonetics kit on these forums. I bought the kit from josenq06 and drove all the way out to Topeka, KS (from Michigan) to pick it up. He saved having to ship the stuff, got paid in cash, and I got the opportunity to take a road trip and to inspect the stuff before I bought it. Win-win.

I know a lot of people dislike the TN kit. Inevitably someone on here will call it “junk,” warn me about overboost (especially with the TopSpeed exhaust), and explain that there are other kits out there that make more power on the same boost. Well, cool story bro.

I’m not looking to make a ton of power, I just want this car to be faster than my damn Neon. The VQ35DE has a TON of compression, and adding boost is just begging for detonation; I’m not looking to break records and I just want a reliable increased in BHP. Further, I am going to be changing out the wastegate design in one way or another. I’ll either do an atmospheric dump with a supertrapp on it, or I’ll re-locate the whole thing to the passenger-side outlet pipe. So, no overboost to worry about. And lastly, sure there are more reliable kits out there, but they cost 3-4x what I have into my entire setup.

Anyways, flame on, I don’t care.

So the basic setup is the Turbonetics single turbo kit. I got pretty much all of the hardware I needed, sans the fuel pump and extended AC line. I purchased a Walbro 255 and the AC line from Treadstone Performance…pretty much the only thing I’ve paid retail pricing for, so far:

I also picked up an OBX oil pan spacer. The TN instructions call for drilling into the crank case to install a bulkhead AN fitting for the turbo oil drain. No thank you. I also got an assortment of brass fittings from McMaster Carr:

4860K151 - British Standard Threaded Brass Pipe Fitting, 1/8 Pipe Size, Bspp Female X Npt Male Adapter
4860K611 - British Standard Threaded Brass Pipe Fitting, 1/8 Pipe Size, Bspt Male X Npt Male Adapter
50785K75 - Med-pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, 1/8 Pipe Size, Tee

These allow me to avoid having to tap the oil pressure sensor port to 1/8 NPT and jack the threads of the sensor up by forcing it into an NPT. They are various BSP to NPT adapters and tees. This way, everything is cleaner and there is no tapping of the block or ports:

Next up is the hot side pipes. These are notorious for cracking on the TN kit, and the ones I have are no exception. The previous owner had repaired a few of the pipes, but I had a good friend of mine go over everything again with his TIG. However, he left me a present on one of the pipes:

He’s always welding dicks on my parts. Oh well, “free” welding comes at a price, I guess. You can’t see it anymore though, because I had another friend of mine coat the four “underhood” hot-side pipes with this special ceramic coating he has. The stuff is amazing! It goes on sort of lumpy and then you bake it at 450 degrees and it sets up, lumpy. Once it hits about 1000 degrees though, it smoothes right out to a nice finish. Well, my friend doesn’t have a 1000 degree oven, so I am just going to take these lumpy pipes and header-wrap them too. That should protect the coating until it gets enough heat to re-flow the coating.

The stuff is pretty amazing, actually; you can pull the pipes out of the oven at 450 degrees by hand, without gloves, if you touch the coating. My buddy accidentally touched one of the exposed flanges while he was handling it (forgetting it was hot) and got a burn. Anyways, this plus the header wrap ought to keep my under-hood temps WAY down and prevent me burning through the AC lines.

As for gauges, I am going for the traditional triple a-pillar pod with a boost gauge, intake air temp gauge, and wideband:

Nothing too fancy. As for the rest of the car, I am going to be running 550cc injectors from an SRT-4 and the UTEC. I plan to use the “canned” 550cc tune that is available online, and then find someone to dial it in correctly. I also have ordered a VLSD from a G35 and plan to put that on while I am working on it.

That’s about all I have for now. Hope you enjoyed it and I’ll make sure to update with pics as I get everything installed.

-Alex
Note: If you can’t see any of the pictures, you’re probably on a work PC that blocks facebook.

TL;DR – I’m installing a turbonetics kit on my Z.
Attached Thumbnails my turbo build - TN-388606_562519579629_2085014157_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-553141_610439852019_1533936286_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-165000_610440665389_329762901_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-9479_610440635449_1037521692_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-68620_610440610499_2142772210_n.jpg  

my turbo build - TN-540924_610483409729_1529370793_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-68600_610440540639_1031870864_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-227777_610440695329_1942471069_n.jpg  

Last edited by axeman; 05-21-2013 at 04:32 AM. Reason: making title clear
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 AM
bigcloud

Nice build you have going there man. I can't wait to see the results and how long it holds up. Also congrats on the new job!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Lol I thought ur wife was looking for parts to pull out and sell.

Yea....there are some ****** on here that will give you crap about the TN but you sound smart enough to handle them. Besides while people rag on lawyers they seldom screw with them too much

Good luck with ur build.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 AM
axeman

Hah, thanks guys. Yeah, I'm actually a mechanical engineer too...studying law to become a patent lawyer; I meant it when I said "bar(s)" because I'll have to take both the Michigan bar and the Patent (Federal) Bar. Hooray for studying!

I do love fabricating though. One of my other cars is a first gen Dodge Neon (a turd). A lot of guys like to swap in a 2.4L engine, or even the SRT-4 (2.4L turbo) to make a pretty quick little car. Well, I built one and turbocharged it, but it was so light and the power came on so hard that it was actually difficult to drive. Fast, though. So, I switched things up...sold that engine, built another, and adapted a supercharger from a Cobalt SS to the engine, and made it fit! Low and belold it was actually FASTER than the turbo car was. The car checks in at just under 2300# and ran an 11.98 @ 119 MPH. Some pics below, and a link to the build album (for anybody who is interested).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d10b8642ab

Sort of depressing that I built that ENTIRE car for under $1500 and it runs 11s, and my Z gets walked by it. Oh well, not for long!

I've got a few turbochargers lying around...and way too many projects:
Attached Thumbnails my turbo build - TN-614708_596623145809_1117011525_o.jpg   my turbo build - TN-407819_569196164699_537379799_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-418601_569196119789_1913777036_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-418450_569196189649_1705361892_n.jpg   my turbo build - TN-424196_595784541379_1690074238_n.jpg  

Last edited by axeman; 01-04-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by axeman
Hah, thanks guys. Yeah, I'm actually a mechanical engineer too...studying law to become a patent lawyer; I meant it when I said "bar(s)" because I'll have to take both the Michigan bar and the Patent (Federal) Bar. Hooray for studying!

I do love fabricating though. One of my other cars is a first gen Dodge Neon (a turd). A lot of guys like to swap in a 2.4L engine, or even the SRT-4 (2.4L turbo) to make a pretty quick little car. Well, I built one and turbocharged it, but it was so light and the power came on so hard that it was actually difficult to drive. Fast, though. So, I switched things up...sold that engine, built another, and adapted a supercharger from a Cobalt SS to the engine, and made it fit! Low and belold it was actually FASTER than the turbo car was. The car checks in at just under 2300# and ran an 11.98 @ 119 MPH. Some pics below, and a link to the build album (for anybody who is interested).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d10b8642ab

Sort of depressing that I built that ENTIRE car for under $1500 and it runs 11s, and my Z gets walked by it. Oh well, not for long!

I've got a few turbochargers lying around...and way too many projects:

Nice build man. I bet you could build an take manifold for an IS-F and fit the MP112 supercharger on it. Similar to the supercharger Greddy tried to build...lol. I'm sending you a friend request on FB.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 AM
ehaalandtluk

Hey there!

My story is identical to yours, save for the getting married part.

Now that I bought my C6 Z06, I have the ability to take my Z out of commission for however long I need to install parts.

I was wondering, what did the used TN kit cost you? What kind of lifting equipment do you use? Are you going to do it in your garage? Straight bolt on?

I'm like you, I just want to be able to embarass these ****ing kids in beaters.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM
axeman

Originally Posted by ehaalandtluk
Hey there!

My story is identical to yours, save for the getting married part.

Now that I bought my C6 Z06, I have the ability to take my Z out of commission for however long I need to install parts.

I was wondering, what did the used TN kit cost you? What kind of lifting equipment do you use? Are you going to do it in your garage? Straight bolt on?

I'm like you, I just want to be able to embarass these ****ing kids in beaters.
I paid $2250 for the kit, but that included the AEM unit and a set of 440cc RC injectors, which I dont need or want. I've been trying to sell the AEM unit for a while now but nobody seems to want it lol. I have so many injectors lying around that I don't even know what to do with the 440s I have either. I'll probably sell those too.

Yeah I'll be installing it in my garage. I'll just be using jack stands...worked just fine when I changed my clutch.

I'd like to start it now, but it's too damn cold. I lose sooo much motivation when it gets cold, and my garage isn't heated.

Honestly, I take great pleasure in beating on V8s with that dumb little neon. Out here in Michigan, we have the Woodward dream cruise where there are TONS of cars in late August. But, in the 2-3 months before the actual cruise, there are people out every single friday/saturday night cruising or parked. It's like one huge car show all summer. Well, I go out as often as I can in the neon to Troll the **** out of Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes (sorry), and the like. It's a lot of fun, and you wouldn't believe the looks on some people's faces when their 5.0 mustang gets walked by a turd, but I want to be able to do the same in my Z!

Last edited by axeman; 01-04-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 AM
ehaalandtluk

Originally Posted by axeman
I paid $2250 for the kit, but that included the AEM unit and a set of 440cc RC injectors, which I dont need or want. I've been trying to sell the AEM unit for a while now but nobody seems to want it lol. I have so many injectors lying around that I don't even know what to do with the 440s I have either. I'll probably sell those too.

Yeah I'll be installing it in my garage. I'll just be using jack stands...worked just fine when I changed my clutch.

I'd like to start it now, but it's too damn cold. I lose sooo much motivation when it gets cold, and my garage isn't heated.

Honestly, I take great pleasure in beating on V8s with that dumb little neon. Out here in Michigan, we have the Woodward dream cruise where there are TONS of cars in late August. But, in the 2-3 months before the actual cruise, there are people out every single friday/saturday night cruising or parked. It's like one huge car show all summer. Well, I go out as often as I can in the neon to Troll the **** out of Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes (sorry), and the like. It's a lot of fun, and you wouldn't believe the looks on some people's faces when their 5.0 mustang gets walked by a turd, but I want to be able to do the same in my Z!
It's ok, I do better than 11.98 in mine lol

Here in Texas it will get warm in a few weeks and I'll be working on my Z a lot. I am re-doing most of the bushings and the ball joints too. I have 97k miles on the clock. The main thing keeping me from going turbo is:

1) Reliability (will I blow my motor in the next 20k?)
2) Cost (I don't want to spend 5k on a turbo kit...)

I'm also a mechanical engineer and I have recently been getting more and more into cars. I lack the tools to do jobs sometimes (namely jacks, clamps, presses, compressor-powered tools, etc) so I don't know whether I'm up to the job. You seem like you've been doing this a while.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 AM
axeman

A few years, yeah. I just turned 26, lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:41 AM
ehaalandtluk

25 here.

Why did you go ST and not SC?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 AM
bigcloud

Hey I'm a fellow engineer as well. Albeit a Software one. hahaha. My Z has 165k on the clock and I've pretty much decided on swapping in the VQ30Det. Look up the motor in the shop builds section. I think it's a great compromise. Axeman I think you would like the VQ30DET much better!!

Oh and I'm an old fogie at 34.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 AM
axeman

If I had gone with SC I would have wanted a roots or twin-screw setup, and most of those are either non-intercooled or require a specific aftermarket hood.

The biggest reason, though, was the sound. I have wanted to get rid of the catylitic converters for a loooong time. I ordered a set of Berk resonated test pipes, but the car was waaaay too loud. I only had them on it for one day; I was out at the bar and was heading to my car to go home, and just STARTING my car caused a cop to come over and hassle me. I assured him that I had made a mistake and that I was going to quiet it back down.

More or less, the top speed exhaust note is beautiful with the cats, but dosn't flow as well as it could. So, with the turbo I'll get to keep the exhaust note, remove the cats, and it wont be AS loud because the turbo will quiet it down a bit. I'm afraid I might have to remove the first resonator from the exhaust though, because it might be too quiet. Or I might just put a QTP dump valve in there, who knows.

If I had gone with a supercharger, I would have wanted it to be water intercooled and I would have run long tube headers...more or less going to be LOUD no matter how you look at it. I love blower whine, but that much CFM makes some noise out the back.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM
axeman

Originally Posted by bigcloud
Hey I'm a fellow engineer as well. Albeit a Software one. hahaha. My Z has 165k on the clock and I've pretty much decided on swapping in the VQ30Det. Look up the motor in the shop builds section. I think it's a great compromise. Axeman I think you would like the VQ30DET much better!!

Oh and I'm an old fogie at 34.
Interesting! I *know* that this engine won't last forever, especially with this many miles and boost. I actually plan on buying a second one as soon as another pops up, so I can drop some low-comp pistons and stronger rods in it. And I might clean up the heads a bit too. I guess the weak point in the VQ35DE is the rod bolts? Anybody ever just swap in ARP hardware using stock rods? Hmm. I'll have to pull the pan anyways...might be a good insurance policy.

I'll have to check out the VQ30Det. I have seen some people do the RB26Det, but parts for those things are way too damn expensive. I do LOVE how they sound, tho.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM
revolvedZ

looks like a bunch of fun going on here!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 AM
ehaalandtluk

As far as I've seen on these forums, if you're trying to run 12's with this car you might need a built motor from the get-go. If you plan to run the car for a long time, you probably won't be at the point where you need an intercooled supercharger, and therefore you can probably get away without LTH.

Just my .02 and the reason why I'm still considering a SC.

-Although I do have an underdrive pulley and a lightweight crankshaft pulley, so I'll have to get rid of those

Last edited by ehaalandtluk; 01-04-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Drive shaft pulley LOL
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up op. looks like you got the ball bearing turbo. I have the TN kit and I haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood). Going 22k-ish miles now at 82k on the dash. I don't track or drift it though. Just play w stands/vetts etc when they come thinking the Z a won't be on that azz lol!! GL w your install and how much for the 440s? I'm only running 380s in mine and want to go 550 or 600 but that's going to be a while.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM
DrGOLD

GL with build OP. I'm not an engineer but go to an engineering school (Kettering). Definitely interested in seeing the build after its done.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM
axeman

Originally Posted by DrGOLD
GL with build OP. I'm not an engineer but go to an engineering school (Kettering). Definitely interested in seeing the build after its done.
Ahh, small world; my alma mater. I graduated from Kettering in '08 with a BS, ME.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
axeman

Originally Posted by taywan
Nice write up op. looks like you got the ball bearing turbo. I have the TN kit and I haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood). Going 22k-ish miles now at 82k on the dash. I don't track or drift it though. Just play w stands/vetts etc when they come thinking the Z a won't be on that azz lol!! GL w your install and how much for the 440s? I'm only running 380s in mine and want to go 550 or 600 but that's going to be a while.
Shoot me an offer, IDK what they are worth to be honest. They are RC440s, the black ones.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck w/your modified setup

Quick Reply: my turbo build - TN