Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

greddy twin build...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 05:07 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Are you running your car up Pikes Peak?

I just came back from there.

Here is the Fastest Ever Run up Pikes Peak. An Amazing average of 91MPH, and 160MPH+ in the Straights......

Old 06-16-2018, 05:47 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Intense. Enjoyed it, thanks for sharing. Did you participate?
Old 06-17-2018, 02:35 PM
SAMzG35

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You’re running meth right? What size jets and where are they mounted ?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Pikes peak airstrip attack (1/2mile drag event) ... it's the precursor to the hill climb ... I think the hill climb is next week??

I'm gonna try to make it down for the fan experience they put on in downtown Colorado Springs. If anyone is going let me know!

I'll do a quick summary of the drag event and upload some pictures...not good not bad

Originally Posted by SAMzG35
You’re running meth right? What size jets and where are they mounted ?
running AEM setup with a trunk mounted 5gallon tank / pump. Running 250cc/hr nozzles in each intake, approximately 12" before each turbo. Post 421 has some decent pictures.

Last edited by bealljk; 06-18-2018 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 03:23 PM
SAMzG35

Originally Posted by bealljk
running AEM setup with a trunk mounted 5gallon tank / pump. Running 250cc/hr nozzles in each intake, approximately 12" before each turbo. Post 421 has some decent pictures.
What size injectors are you running on your motor?

I decided to try to the individual port injection method. Wonder which way works best
Old 06-18-2018, 03:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

1000cc ID, with the 52psi OEM pressure they push like a little more than 1000cc.

that's badass! Interested to see how it turns out ... Im using the water/meth more for cooling than for added fuel. My decision to mount them pre-turbo was to aid the turbos in keeping cool, Ive ditched the MAF and run a temp sensor and I wanted my actual IATs to match what the computer was seeing, and complete atomization before it gets to the chamber.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM
SAMzG35

Thanks man! I'm running ID2000 with similar pressure.
My tuning is in 9 days, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I didnt feel like ditching the MAF and connecting an IAT to my haltech, and you know MAF wouldnt like water lol, so I decided to do this instead.

I got the idea from someone on this forum (2008 thread) pictures below. However I couldnt run them the same way he did cause of my Pathfinder cooling mod. So I decided to run them the way I did for better clearance and more even flow

Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

For sure ... If I was running a MAF I'd be forced to run post-MAF.

what kit did you go with?

you'll have optimal valve cleaning with your setup (IMO)...

It may be wise to mitigate heat as to not melt your line and/or tie/suspend your lines so they dont rest on anything hot.

ID2000s - are you going E85?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:45 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Thanks man! I'm running ID2000 with similar pressure.
My tuning is in 9 days, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I didnt feel like ditching the MAF and connecting an IAT to my haltech, and you know MAF wouldnt like water lol, so I decided to do this instead.

I got the idea from someone on this forum (2008 thread) pictures below. However I couldnt run them the same way he did cause of my Pathfinder cooling mod. So I decided to run them the way I did for better clearance and more even flow

Man that really looks nice!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 PM
SAMzG35

For sure ... If I was running a MAF I'd be forced to run post-MAF.

what kit did you go with?

you'll have optimal valve cleaning with your setup (IMO)...

It may be wise to mitigate heat as to not melt your line and/or tie/suspend your lines so they dont rest on anything hot.

ID2000s - are you going E85?
I’m running Aquamist hfs6. I had it for over 6 years and never installed lol. Still brand new
They will be following the injector wiring pretty much so right next to the valve cover. I’m trying to see if I can wrap them with some kinda of heat shield but no idea what to use on something this thin.
We don’t have e85 locally in Edmonton so i bought a barrel for the time being till we start getting it.
I’m doing three tunes.
91 Oct
91 & meth
And E85.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:16 PM
SAMzG35

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Man that really looks nice!
I thought it was super awesome too. but did mine differently cause I was worried the setup in the picture I found from 2008 might not even pressure across all 6 cylinders. Some cylinders could starve.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:46 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I was worried the setup in the picture I found from 2008 might not even pressure across all 6 cylinders.
easy fix to loop the far end - similar to how the return fuel system is ... just a thought

just curious - how do you anticipate merging the 6 lines?

I'm not a huge E85 fan but that's just me personally ... works for some people.

So the pikes peak airstrip attack was this past weekend. I got signed up really early as a buddy got a media pass. It was a good motivation to get a few big mods done one the car - exhaust, intake, water/meth, get my wheel/tires figured out, fix steering & alignment, retune(which didnt get done), fiberglass hatch (patched it, painted/cleared it, but didnt get it installed), lexan door windows (got materials, but fab/install didnt happen), umong other things...I really wish I had one more week!!!

The event was Saturday and Sunday. I took friday off to load-up a trailer and have a nice trip to colorado springs. The same buddy lives in colo springs and I hung out with him for the weekend.

It was a little stressful Friday as my trailer rental reservation got all f'd out and my only choice was to go with a 16 ft rather than a 20 ft. On top of that my hitch sat too low and my brake controller wasnt connecting with the trailer. a few hundred dollars on a new controller and a new hitch and I was ready. I was still able to take most my tools/parts/stuff I wanted to take but I had to really cram stuff in the z and in the pickup. Loaded up between 3pm and 5pm. Non the less - got on the road around 6pm and was in Spring around 8pm. When I got the car loaded I could feel my stress levels ease down.

We got to the airport in plenty of time and unloaded everything and got the car prepped and ready to run. Attended the drivers meeting and ran into Andre from High Performance Academy (I knew he was gonna be there) and chatted with he and his assistant. It was pretty cool to meet him as I have a massive amount of respect for he and the HPA company.

returned to the car to get ready to take few passes. Got suited/geared up and took a very easy low load low rpm load to listen to the car and everything ran like you'd expect.

took a few more passes and around 100 - 120 mph my traction control light came on and it cut my timing and I didnt push the car any further - which was ok, I wanted to confirm with the data logs that the timing cut was indeed traction control and not detonation.Reset everything and took two more passes both passes went really well and I was able to get above 145 on both passes.

I took a few hours off to walk around and see other cars and hang out with another group of friends we know. I took a few more passes later in the afternoon but my traction control flipped on so I parked the car. I believe the traction control retarded my timing bc the difference in front & rear wheel sizes ... I ran the advans up front and the enkeis in the rear. By this time I was tired, hot/sweaty, sunburned and didnt feel like putting the other two enkeis on the front. I'd do it first thing on sunday - not a big deal

watched more qualifying, walked around the bigger team's setups (good lord, btw) and just enjoyed the late afternoon.

Around 5pm packed everything into the truck and trailer and headed out. The event allowed everyone to leave their truck/trailer/cars onsite (well within the airport operation area) overnight. grabbed dinner with the buddy & the gf and relaxed the rest of the night.

cut to sunday...
got to the airport around 7am and we swapped front tires out, checked everything out and prepared for my first run of the day. Geared up and headed out, my first pull went well up to about 90mph and something happened similar to a misfire or a bog-down ... I didnt see my CEL flash nor did it come on but lifted and got into low load with enough RPMs to keep my oil pump pushing pressure.

Got back to the pit area and looked at the data log ... nothing jumped out at me in the data log (checked knock signal and AFRs). Got back in the car and took two more easy passes ... light to medium load, 50% throttle and slowly sweep through the RPMs to collect data, to watch the rpms/afrs/knock signal/etc...both pulls I got up to ~120mph and the car ran like you'd expect.

ok, go again and push the car a little harder...surer than **** my track is closed down for an oil cleanup. Back to the pits and parked the car. Not a problem...

an hour or so, track re-opened, suited up and my idle was doing this (note that I am 100% off the throttle):
reset the OEM ecu, reloaded 3 different haltech maps, drove the car for a minute and nothing stopped the idle spikes. If anyone has insight on this please let me know!

reset the TB and APP sensors and nothing changed it. After a few hours I put the car up in the air to inspect the o2 sensors, inspect the vac lines under the car, and just make sure it was something stupid easy/obvious - no burnt wire, unplugged sensor, etc...but nothing was apparent.

At this point I was at my wits-end and just decided to let it be enjoy the rest of the afternoon watching other vehicles run and hanging out with friends. Around 5pm we loaded up the trailer/truck and headed out.

Ran back to my buddy's place, packed up, showered, ate dinner, drank a beer and headed back to Denver. Unloaded the trailer, started the car around 9pm or so to this:

so I have no idea ... any insight is welcome...

I'm going to get the plugs & coils out...

Also would like to inspect the cam shaft position sensors and crank position sensor...

Last edited by bealljk; 06-18-2018 at 10:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
BluestreamDE (06-19-2018), RobPhoboS (08-02-2021)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:49 PM
SAMzG35

Yeah but more plumbing means more failing points lol.

Aquamist got everything

Only struggle/issue I have is the failsafe. Kinda lost on how I want to connect it.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:11 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Only struggle/issue I have is the failsafe. Kinda lost on how I want to connect it.
That is sexy! figured it was a manifold of sorts...

failsafes are weird ... I'm tuned without water/meth so the car runs either way so it's insurance for me.

Thinking globally, an engine (especially a modified engine) is a series of things that can go wrong and will go wrong at some point...the trick will be to catch it before it happens and/or shut it down before it causes significant damage.

Are you using haltech?
Old 06-19-2018, 04:24 PM
SAMzG35

I'm gonna be doing three different tunes. 91, 91 & meth, E85
So I want the failsafe to disable my MAC solenoid when failsafe is active to reduce boost. I found how to do that but the issue with that the unit is technically in failsafe mode when the system is shut off. Which means if I connect it to MAC I can no longer control my MAC when the meth kit is turned off. So basically my 91 tune would be spring boost only. The failsafe on the HFS is pretty awesome, just connecting it for the way I want it to work is challenging.
I hope that makes sense? lol

and yes, I have haltech full stand alone.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to read about your issues. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out soon. Any plans to go to other air strip events this Summer?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I'm gonna be doing three different tunes. 91, 91 & meth, E85...

and yes, I have haltech full stand alone.
That makes sense - I'm soooo tempted to go full standalone ... not sure how to deal with emissions though...

Originally Posted by WTFMike
Sorry to read about your issues. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out soon. Any plans to go to other air strip events this Summer?
Thanks Mike - I've used the phrase - "I'm please but not satisfied" ... the silver lining / linings are that I did have a few good runs and no (apparent) damage was done to the car...

dig into the plenum - check plugs / coils / look into replacement cam shaft position sensors, crank position sensors, possibly a new throttle body.

Once things are a little more figured out and consistent I'll look into a new tune.

Still have more weight savings fun! and I picked up a set of sparco R333 seats.

Plenty to do!

The journey is the reward!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:28 PM
SAMzG35

Hey man
Is your meth injection kit boost controlled or IDC controlled?
I’m trying to figure out which one is the negative on the Injectors and I have no idea how to find out. All six injectors share one wire and the second wire is a different color on every injector. So I’m not sure of the common wire is the ground and the ECU supplies positive signal or vice versa
Old 06-22-2018, 08:45 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Hey man
Is your meth injection kit boost controlled or IDC controlled?
I’m trying to figure out which one is the negative on the Injectors and I have no idea how to find out. All six injectors share one wire and the second wire is a different color on every injector. So I’m not sure of the common wire is the ground and the ECU supplies positive signal or vice versa
what’s IDC?
the It has its own MAP sensor built into the controller...you tell it when to activate, when to peak, and fit the nozzles accordingly...the handheld sends a duty cycle to the pump based on the inputs.

do injectors have polarity? Whatever you do, wire them consistent between the injectors

Last edited by bealljk; 06-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:03 AM
SAMzG35

what’s IDC?
the It has its own MAP sensor built into the controller...you tell it when to activate, when to peak, and fit the nozzles accordingly...the handheld sends a duty cycle to the pump based on the inputs.

do injectors have polarity? Whatever you do, wire them consistent between the injectors
Injector duty cycle lol
Mine connects to both MAP and injectors. It asks for a switched 12V and injectors ground.

Red.................. Ignition switched 12V
Green............... Fuel injector (-) pin
Blue..................MAP sensor (optional)

I'm having hard time knowing if the ECU grounds all the injectors to control IDC or sends power instead.

Check page 7 here
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/HFS6/HFS-6-4w.pdf

Quick Reply: greddy twin build...