Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SOHO Single Turbo Kit: My Honest Review!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM
tw2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What has happened truly sucks and should never happen to anyone.... but it has happened, nothing can change that now and assuming the company stands behind what they are saying now ie making it right, at least give them half a chance. Many many more companies would simply walk away, refuse to communicate and basically say fu. Been there done that. There is no shortage of dishonest people without conscience in this game.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Dishonest and fu has already happened. I would semi inspect this from say a Godspeed turbo. Not a company that's charging more than a greddy TT kit. Typically with higher cost its bc craftsmanship worth it no problems.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Eno

Originally Posted by tw2
Many many more companies would simply walk away, refuse to communicate and basically say fu. Been there done that. There is no shortage of dishonest people without conscience in this game.
Yeah... and on top of that I got an "I told you so" from my first shop.

Fortunately the second was stand up and worked with me throughout my calamities. 50-50 is good odds on this sort of thing so my situation was definitely the norm.

I have to admit, however, that even if the first shop had said to me anything remotely like "We'll make it right- give us a chance" I'd have been hesitant because the level of workmanship (in my situation) was so sub-par I wouldn't have trusted them with the car again. Would I want my 8k back? I wouldn't think twice to pull the trigger on that deal and all I did was leave my car at the shop. In this case it seems that the overall quality isn't as suspect as fitiment and misinformation- two things the vendor acknowledges it failed on.

I'm just a casual observer- but I have to admit it seems as the the shop knows where it screwed up, has (said) it will make changes to its existing processes to avoid these issues in the future... and was supplying a kit to a car with unique parts that are clearly keystones to the proper fit.

Maybe I'm a sucker- but if I had the knowledge to do what you've been able to do up until now and the shop was ready to compensate me for some of the time and frustration endured on account of things they've already acknowledged they've done wrong... I'd probably swallow that bait whole.

Last edited by Eno; 02-15-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

8k for a kit that doesn't fit etc.. Is a joke. While the response appears genuine it still doesn't bode well for future business. Nowadays people can piece together a decent stock block kit and have muffler shops modify piping etc.. for well under 6k. Or buy a BP kit and be done!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was the "test" g35 for BP so my kit was SIGNIFICANTLY discounted and I didn't encounter anything close to that. Just a couple new pieces of bends in the cold side that were sent to me after some measurements that fit perfectly afterwards. It was frustrating having to wait but I knew what I signed up for and it was a simple fix. I would have never done that paying full price or being lied to.

I feel your pain. Custom stuff sucks, I know from experience. I hope you get it figured out and can enjoy your car. Maybe give sasha an email once you get that refund Turbo included will still be less than what you paid!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
I was the "test" g35 for BP so my kit was SIGNIFICANTLY discounted and I didn't encounter anything close to that. Just a couple new pieces of bends in the cold side that were sent to me after some measurements that fit perfectly afterwards. It was frustrating having to wait but I knew what I signed up for and it was a simple fix. I would have never done that paying full price or being lied to.

I feel your pain. Custom stuff sucks, I know from experience. I hope you get it figured out and can enjoy your car. Maybe give sasha an email once you get that refund Turbo included will still be less than what you paid!
This!

And +1 on getting a BP kit after you get your money back.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM
datboyvinh

I have requested a refund and Nick also contacted me about offering me a refund.

which is still pending..
Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Kevin@SOHO

Originally Posted by datboyvinh
I have requested a refund and Nick also contacted me about offering me a refund.

which is still pending..
As Anthony has stated we are in the process of giving him a refund on the down pipe because he had a local shop correct the fitment issue around the headers and we will be reimbursing him all of the money he spent on behalf of our mistake. We take full responsibility as previously stated and we are making sure we make it right for him and making sure it is corrected overall.

Also I would like to follow up on our promises on correcting some issues Anthony brought up. We have a new shipping and customer contact procedure that will make sure that the shipping issues and non contact on shipment info never happens again, from updated pre shipping checklists and making it so 3 people have to sign off on each and every package we process from online sales to turbo kits and everything else. We are taking the good from this and making sure it never happens again.

On top of that to address the main issue of the downpipe not clearing specific headers. We immediately hopped on the problem and modified the down pipe. After a few different versions we have made one that will be perfect to maintain the design and flow of our kit but also clear most aftermarket headers. We will be testing others, this current was based off of the issue at hand which was Momentum headers which happens to be one of the widest ones). We will be testing it on the dyno and also racing it this coming weekend to verify all is still well just as we do with everything else we have tested. Then we will adjust the jigs and from here on out our kits will have zero problems.

We apologize for the inconvenience we have caused Anthony and also any doubt he or any of you may have in our product or us as a company but I can assure you we took this very, very seriously as this is our life passion and we have corrected the issue and this will never happen again. Thank you everyone for understanding and we look forward to talking with many of you soon or hopefully see you guys at the track or at a Z event.

Our other turbo thread will be updated with the results of the new dyno sessions and also some videos of the car in action. I also took a bunch of photos of the new downpipe today but when i just put them into the computer the darn memory card was corrupted so I will post better photos tomorrow when I get a new card. Here are some iphone photos but its hard to see much. I will post more in the tomorrow for everyone to see. Also notice these headers are wrapped with titanium heap wrap as well because they are the ones off of my G race car so this means there will be good room for that as well.

Name:  IMG_1197.jpg
Views: 2747
Size:  129.5 KB

Also I would like to note that the wastegate position from this photo has been corrected and tucked up so it isn't as low as it is.
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2514
Size:  103.1 KB

Last edited by Kevin@SOHO; 02-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM
datboyvinh

update on the kit. I have been driving the car for almost 2 months. a partial refund was made. Thank you for that.

turn radius to the right is greatly reduced due to the charge piping coming up the driver side fender wall. the wheel and tire rubs on the piping when turning a full right.

when adding the momentum headers with a well design merge collector. then adding the soho cross over piping (the piping from one headers to the other), it restricted air flow because of smaller cross over piping diameter. basically coking air flow.

i wish the wastegate was designed to be dumped back to the atmosphere. but i can see why it was not able to do that. The ss material used to make the crossover piping was thin and if the wastegate was dump to the air, eventually the wg would break off. Crossover piping would have been great if it was made from a thicker gauge steel to support wg and to be able to dump to atmosphere to reduce back pressure, instead of dumping it back into the exhaust.

Last edited by datboyvinh; 04-16-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM
SOHOMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by datboyvinh
update on the kit. I have been driving the car for almost 2 months. a partial refund was made. Thank you for that.

turn radius to the right is greatly reduced due to the charge piping coming up the driver side fender wall. the wheel and tire rubs on the piping when turning a full right.

when adding the momentum headers with a well design merge collector. then adding the soho cross over piping (the piping from one headers to the other), it restricted air flow because of smaller cross over piping diameter. basically coking air flow.

i wish the wastegate was designed to be dumped back to the atmosphere. but i can see why it was not able to do that. The ss material used to make the crossover piping was thin and if the wastegate was dump to the air, eventually the wg would break off. Crossover piping would have been great if it was made from a thicker gauge steel to support wg and to be able to dump to atmosphere to reduce back pressure, instead of dumping it back into the exhaust.
Anthony,
You are welcome for the refund as we were willing to do what it took to make things rights even though we may have caused inconvenience to you. The turn radius of the charge pipe coming off of the intercooler that is provided with our kit was the smoothest radius that we could come up with as space is very limited in that area. If the piping is met flush with the intercooler endtank then the tire should not rub when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the right as this was tested with a 9.5" aftermarket wheel up front. Initially when the turbo kit piping was purchased from us we informed you that there may be some fitment issues that may arise if the intercooler was not purchased along with the piping and you had informed us that you were going to have an intercooler fabricated to work with our kit, so there may have been some differences in the way that the your intercooler may have been made. In regards to the overall diameter of the crossover pipe, the diameter of the inlet to the Tial v-band housing that we offer for our turbo kit is 2.125", which can be seen on the Tial website provided here: http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/t...ings/73-gt35ss. We kept the piping diameter at 2.25" going up to the turbo to maintain the velocity of the exhaust gases and to also aid in the spool up of the turbo. If we were to increase the size of the diameter of the crossover pipe to match the same size as the header outlet and then reduce it back at the turbine side inlet then we would be creating even more back pressure. After the incident where the downpipe was not able to work with aftermarket manifolds we redesigned the downpipe and also changed the location of the wastegate, as the wastegate would not be able to fit in the same exact location with the new downpipe orientation. As you can see in the picture below, the wastegate pipe coming off of the collector has been shortened and also we have positioned the wastegate to where an open dump application can easily be incorporated.
Name:  turbokitnew_zpsa7681130.jpg
Views: 2446
Size:  89.1 KB
All of the piping on the SOHO Motorsports turbo kit is 16 gauge T304 stainless steel that is back purged during welding to ensure a stronger weld both inside and outside the pipe. We do appreciate any input that you have provided thus far towards our turbo kit and we are constantly looking at ways to make the kit better.

Last edited by SOHOMotorsports; 04-18-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 PM
tcw015

I am very glad that this was posted so I could get some feed back on this kit. I am very new so sorry for such a dumb question but can anyone link me to the BP turbo kit that has been mentioned here?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 AM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link. It is not the original thread but it is for the twin scroll kit. It will help get you started.
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...t-from-bp.html
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM
vtecsux

Interesting...
Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM
et1123

Default Useless review

Your review is meaningless and useless. You didnt order the full kit and were using things the kit was not specifically designed for and then you whine about it. Waste of time reading it
Old 12-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by et1123
Your review is meaningless and useless. You didnt order the full kit and were using things the kit was not specifically designed for and then you whine about it. Waste of time reading it
GET THE FCK OUT OF HERE! Your mom should have swallowed you! Now please leave our forums you waste of oxygen.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:24 PM
et1123

Originally Posted by Conway_160
GET THE FCK OUT OF HERE! Your mom should have swallowed you! Now please leave our forums you waste of oxygen.
Yeah, you are a real winner. The original review was a fkg waste of time, kind of like your entire life. Lots of other good info in responses but original post, meaningless. #EAD
Old 12-31-2018, 12:33 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Damn Conway! Didn't think you had it in you!

Originally Posted by et1123
Yeah, you are a real winner. The original review was a fkg waste of time, kind of like your entire life. Lots of other good info in responses but original post, meaningless. #EAD
easy ET … you don't know who you're insulting on the other end of that keyboard...(and that goes for you too Conway)

ET - I'd tell you to read-up on some of Conway's posts and see what he's offered to this community before you start tearing him down. Furthermore - I believe he's retired (are you retired?) air force (IIRC) … so, you know, just take it easy … before you end up a topic on this thread
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...50z-posts.html

Last edited by bealljk; 12-31-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:39 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
Damn Conway! Didn't think you had it in you!

easy ET … you don't know who you're insulting on the other end of that keyboard...(and that goes for you too Conway)

ET - I'd tell you to read-up on some of Conway's posts and see what he's offered to this community before you start tearing him down. Furthermore - I believe he's retired (are you retired?) air force (IIRC) … so, you know, just take it easy … before you end up a topic on this thread
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...50z-posts.html

https://youtu.be/kH3fgddcU98
It was hard to write that, i'm a very passive guy. Which is why i never responded. I'm still active duty for a while. Thanks for the kind words.

As for what i said im sorry, that was a dck move. Next time please read more than one thread a guy posts to see if they rebuttle themself or not. Also look and see when the last time that person loged in.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I'm not mad at ya Conway! I think you're a damn good member and have offered up a lot to the board thus far. You proved me stupid on that damn kinetix!!! Gooooood times!

I like the fact that ET's first post he was already throwing sparks to see what would ignite… talk about coming out of corning swinging! We'll see if he comes back …

and always thanks for your service!
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (12-31-2018)

Quick Reply: SOHO Single Turbo Kit: My Honest Review!!