Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

STS turbo fab'd to HR

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 PM
AT1222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS turbo fab'd to HR

What all would it take to make a STS rear mount turbo fit on an hr car? The only case I know of this is with Z fever in Florida. I'm assuming the piping all the way to the intercooler would be the same, then I could just use a twin turbo intercooler and flip it upside down, then I'd need an extra charge pipe to the other throttle body. Anyone see any reason to why this wouldn't work or need additional parts? I talked with a guy from treadstone intercoolers and he said he didn't see any reason why a IC like this wouldn't distribute the air evenly to both MAF's... any info on this? I heard the STS IC on the 370z may have a "divider like a baffle" to evenly distribute air, is that necessary?
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...cooler++1000HP

Can I fit the BOV before the intercooler, as to save from having to buy another one to mount them on the pipes between the IC and TB's?

I will be adding an oil pan spacer for the hr already tapped for the lines for the turbo, but is an oil cooler needed on the 350z HR's like the say is a must have for the 370z?

I will probably have alot more questions on making this fit an HR as it comes closer to the build.. I plan on having it done by summer's end. Any help greatly appreciated
Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In regards to an oil cooler yes. As for the intercooler question. The one for the 370z would probably work.

Last edited by 0jiggy0; 05-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM
AT1222

I was quoted $450+shipping on the sts 370z intercooler which is entirely too much... I'd get a bigger, better treadstone one for the same price before I did that, I was just wondering if there really is a divider in the STS IC's and if its needed or if the IC I posted would work just as well for evenly distributing air. There's a treadstone in the marketplace I am eyeballing if it will work just like STS' does and it will be cheaper and more efficient
Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 PM
AT1222

Well I just picked up my sts kit so I guess this will be the start of my build. Turbo seems good with no in and out play and little side to side. I'm pretty sure everything is here(won't know til I can get a manual from someone, ANYBODY HAVE ONE THEY CAN SEND ME???) and I even got a Greddy boost controller with it. Here's some pics of what I have, and yes, I do plan on redoing the intake filter setup, that just looks nasty. Also I have no clue why I have an extra pipe on the right side, looks like its another throttle body pipe because it has the MAF housing, not sure why you'd need 2 of those on a de car... but I have an HR so those will be gone anyway, I plan to reuse my Stillen gen 3 long tube intakes and make them work for the new intercooler I plan on getting I will post a pic of later.
Name:  photo-17.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  16.2 KB[/URL]
Name:  image-1.jpeg
Views: 520
Size:  17.4 KB[/URL]
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM
AT1222

Here is the intercooler I will be using, should work nice with my stillen intakes and I will probably either have to get a small section of pipe bent or some sort of coupling to connect my intakes to the 2 outlets on top of the IC.
Name:  KGrHqIOKkQE23BHL1lBN6r1i7g_12.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  24.1 KB[/URL]
Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

please if possible take lots of pics for reference...off the top of my head haven't seen lots of rear mount setups...

Good luck...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
AT1222

That is why I do plan on showing my progress, because I can't find ANY info or builds of an STS or any rear mount set up for that matter on an HR car. The ONLY case I know of this is Z Fever in Tampa but apparently they aren't willing to disclose any info about how they made it work, and the owner of the car seems to not be on any of the forums. I do believe I read they said every thing from the rear axle forward had to be all new custom built, but I am going to TRY to make the STS charge pipes from the turbo to the IC work on my car, but if not, I'll have some custom made.

Still need to order some injectors, was going to go with DW 600cc, though I found some GTR R35 oem injectors that are supposedly 570cc and plug & play for about half price of the DW's. Also going to be ordering a walbro 255.

I've yet to figure out what I want to do about the oil, I want to run an oil cooler as well as oil temp gauge and maybe an oil pressure gauge off the turbo outlet to make sure the scavenge pump is working. I'm sure I will need an oil filter relocation kit because I believe the STS kit piping goes right by the filter and there's not enough room, though I could be wrong as I don't have the instructions yet. I don't know whether to go with a sandwich plate or oil pan spacer or maybe even a high capacity oil pan(370z?) that is already tapped for the oil fittings needed for the turbo and/or the gauges or if I should simply have my stock oil pan tapped for it. Any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 PM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by AT1222
Well I just picked up my sts kit so I guess this will be the start of my build. Turbo seems good with no in and out play and little side to side. I'm pretty sure everything is here(won't know til I can get a manual from someone, ANYBODY HAVE ONE THEY CAN SEND ME???) and I even got a Greddy boost controller with it. Here's some pics of what I have, and yes, I do plan on redoing the intake filter setup, that just looks nasty. Also I have no clue why I have an extra pipe on the right side, looks like its another throttle body pipe because it has the MAF housing, not sure why you'd need 2 of those on a de car... but I have an HR so those will be gone anyway, I plan to reuse my Stillen gen 3 long tube intakes and make them work for the new intercooler I plan on getting I will post a pic of later.
[/URL]
[/URL]
I hated the filter setup too. I ditched the stupid intake pipe and bolted the filter directly onto the turbo ( water shield too, just need to drill a new drain hole )

Your sheild is different than mine looks like you may need to trim it down.

End result actually raises filter from the ground a little more and imho prvided better protection from the elements. Also eliminating the 90 degree bend intake pipe cant be a bad thing.

And also new position makes changing or cleaning your filter a snap!

Last edited by nway2deepagain; 05-08-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM
AT1222

Slowly making progress!
Have been making brackets trying to find the perfect spot for the fmic as I want to retain the stock crash bar, which means the throttle body pipes have to go above the crash bar mounts since the IC is too wide. If it were say 2-4 inches narrower It would be much easier to do but oh well.
The first pic was when it was lower and I don't believe I could have gotten the TB pipes in there without modifying the IC.. so the second pic shows it moved up a little more and I believe the crash bar will still fit.
I had to relocate the air bag sensor, horns, and air temp sensor. I zip tied the PS cooler for now until I find a way to mount it (probably vertically just to the left of the IC and I will get rubber hose to run the lines).
With the IC sitting so high, it isn't going to get the most air that it could, but this IC is already bigger than the one sts supplied so I think it will do fine anyway.
My oil filter relocation kit should be in some time this week, then when I get that installed I can really start making progress because I can't get the pipes from turbo to IC bent until then.
Name:  photo-18-1.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  2013-05-19_22-17-33_175.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  58.4 KB

OH! and those are my nitrous purge lines sticking out, haven't uninstalled my nitrous kit yet, someone buy it in the fs forums! It'll make this build go alot faster

Last edited by AT1222; 05-19-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 AM
AT1222

Well as of now I have most all of the parts I need to complete this minus injectors which I am working on now. The oil filter relocation gave me a few headaches but I think I have it figured out now. Should make alot of progress in the next week or so, pics to come!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
guvars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AT1222
Well I just picked up my sts kit so I guess this will be the start of my build. Turbo seems good with no in and out play and little side to side. I'm pretty sure everything is here(won't know til I can get a manual from someone, ANYBODY HAVE ONE THEY CAN SEND ME???)
I got a pdf manual from sts when i was installing my kit.
pm if you still need a copy, i know its kind of late now.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM
AT1222

Well here's how she sits as of now. The oil filter relocation kit I thought I had to have- I don't need anymore. So I have probably $300-400 wasted on parts and labor I don't need. I got the oil pump going and since I'm not using STS' pcv system or routing the oil back to the valve cover, I'm not using their wire harness. I just tapped the fuel pump wire and used a relay to turn on my oil pump.
As mentioned in the video, I still haven't gotten the last 2 intercooler to TB pipes bent yet, so the air is just pushing to the intercooler, not into the motor yet, but sounds wicked nonetheless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjVuX...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 PM
AT1222

Well I went to get dyno tuned today... long story short something with my boost controller is messed up. With it hooked up wrong we managed to build 12psi at under 6k rpm and 450hp/403tq and let off at that. It would have climbed over 500 if we had kept it. With the boost controller hooked up right, we are only seeing 5-6 psi and that is as high as it will go. I'm thinking the greddy solenoid is bad, it will control the gain, but wont boost anymore than 5 psi. We quit with a very conservative tune around 350whp at 5psi. But seeing the potential it has with a fixed controller makes me excited, I just have to figure out the problem.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Ollie350z

Originally Posted by guvars
I got a pdf manual from sts when i was installing my kit.
pm if you still need a copy, i know its kind of late now.
Can you send me the pdf i just bought a used one off craiglists for my 2007 350z hr