Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

premix in gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:23 AM
buffhulk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default premix in gas

hey guys well i used to have a fd3s and i always used to premix the gas with a premix that pettit racing sells...so i traded my fd for a 94 supra turbo 6mt and i twin turbod my daily g35 6mt.....so i had a bottle lying around the house of the premix and i called pettit and asked them what they thought about using it with piston engines since i know vqs have oil starvation issues and even built engines blow from lack of oil.......they said its great to use it even with piston engines as well and one of the guys there has a supra too and he even premixes 6oz to 14 gallon tank

ill let yall know the out come once i fill up next time if theres a notice in it

i just thought that this might help people and i hope it does
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Buff, I don’t really know much about engines, but to me nothing you are proposing makes sense. Premixing oil into the gasoline supply is good practice for a two-stroke piston engine. As the fuel/air charge is directed through ports in the cylinder wall lubing the piston skirt, then down into the sealed crankcase where it lubes the bearings. On a fore-stroke piston engine there are none of these benefits.

The long chain hydrocarbons in the premix oil will lower the octane rating of the fuel. They don’t in effect lubricate anything as they only enter the combustion chamber where they are burned. This adds to the carbon build up that collects in the c c, lowers the temp of the combustion, and makes the catalytic converters work extra hard shortening their life.

If I was buying oil in giant drums and repackaging in into small plastic bottles for a bajillion times markup, I’d recommend that you use it on your Cornflakes, for your car, sexy lube, squeaky door hinges, you name it.

If I’m missing some benefit please enlighten me.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 PM
buffhulk

you might be right but whatever i got the stuff here and i might as well try it....pettit has been racing cars and and have been doing so for a long time im aware of the fuel rating going down a little but the amount im putting is not that much with my fd3s i would put 1oz per gallon im only doing a little less then half per gallon

also im not running cats im running 2 1/2 to 3 inch all the way back with my greddy twin kit
Old 11-29-2013, 01:18 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

What do you mean by "piston engine"? As opposed to what, a jet turbine? Whatever the case, don't add that crap to anything but your chainsaw or lawnmower.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:40 PM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
What do you mean by "piston engine"? As opposed to what, a jet turbine? Whatever the case, don't add that crap to anything but your chainsaw or lawnmower.
rx7's have rotary engines and they use this method because they have oil pump failure problems.

OP, I dont see much harm in it just dont see any benefits to it. in the case of oil starvation of a piston engine I dont think this would be enough oil to compensate for amount of friction vs the little friction had with apex seals. especially because the oil wouldnt reach the bearings behind the piston which is where more catastrophic effects due to oil failure would happen.

Last edited by jdm-v35; 11-29-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 AM
buffhulk

well i wanted to follow up with what i have noticed so far...
the car feels and revs alot smoother from what i can tell. i always felt like
it was slugish in the lower rpms and even in boost. i did a 6oz to 15 gallons
and overall im happy with what ive seen so far it just feels all in all more peppy
and is running much beter

i found this link so you can see what im using its not lawn mower 2 cycle oil lol

Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
dcains

What exactly does that test prove? I could put a drop of extra virgin olive oil in that setup, and it wouldn't change color. It sure doesn't in my fryinig pan, which is a lot hotter. So what? Further, you don't have a rotary engine, so you've got piston rings, which have never had the same issues as apex seals. Third, and already mentioned, if Z motor has oil starvation, it's got nothing to do with lubrication in the cylinders. Fourth, how would you like to replace your cats and O2 sensors when these unburned HCO's gum them up?

Why would you even think this stuff is suitable for your application? Seems like a huge leap of logic.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 PM
buffhulk

its my car im sharing my experience im not using cats if you have nothing nice to say......dont its that simple

i spoke to pettit they werent selling me anything i already had it they said it will work well and i think it has engine feel like its working effortlessly
Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 PM
dcains

It's not a question of "nice", it's a question of reality. If you think it works, good for you, but you presented no evidence to prove your point. People use info posted here, sometimes foolishly, as fact. Believe me, this is in no way a personal attack, and I realize your butt dyno might be telling you something different, but 2-stroke oil can be harmful to a 4-stoke piston engine with cats and O2 sensors.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:58 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Drag racers Swear by adding 1/2-3/4oz per gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil to their fuel, this has beed going on for well over 50 years. In cars that make 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000hp and up……..
Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 PM
dcains

Yes, and of course those are regularly-driven street cars, with cats and O2 sensors, right? Please, apples to apples.

BTW, I do add MMO to the gas in my '74 Alfa Spider. It has mechanical fuel injection, and since lead additives were removed from gas, those injection pumps have become prone to excessive wear, so the MMO does work to lube the tiny injection pistons. But, that's an ancient motor, with no cat, no O2 sensor, and excessive HCO dumped into the exhaust by design and limited technology. Hardly the same situation as described by the PO.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM
buffhulk

look im not saying its gonna add power im just saying that revving through the rpms feels smoother thats all it didnt feel like the way if feels now
Old 12-06-2013, 02:19 PM
dcains

Understood, and I'm saying it's potentially harmful, and warning those who might cars not to use it. As mentioned, I do add the MMO to the gas in my '74 Alfa Spider, but would never do the same in my '92 Alfa Spider, which has the same basic engine with modern electronic management systems, with a cat and O2 sensor.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:03 PM
buffhulk

bottle says o2 sensor safe and spark plug safe and its 4-6 oz over 15 gallons its not alot
Old 12-06-2013, 04:36 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Hay dcains,

The subjust is "premix in gas"

So, Suck it !!!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM
buffhulk

Once again dcaims for the 2nd time I'm running a greddy twin kit with NO cats I'm running aam 2.5 test pipes so the only thing I would need to worry about is my o2 sensors.... Also on my 531whp on a mustang dyno I ran a little over a oz per gallon and never had a problem with o2 sensors either..... I'm doing this in the name of research to see what happen since I couldn't find many people that did it.... And if a o2 sensor goes or my engine it's my engine not yours....
Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 AM
dcains

The local Pepsi products distributor told me to put 6 ounces of Diet Dr. Pepper in my gas tank. I had a bottle lying around the house, I wasn't really thirsty, and it really seems to help. So far it just feels all in all more peppy and is running much better. The bottle says it has no calories and is low in sodium, so I can't see how it would hurt anything.

I just thought that this might help people and I hope it does.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:49 PM
ogiehooker

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pepsi

LOL...
Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ogiehooker
LOL...
yeah, and the funny part is that post #1 and post #17 contain exactly the same amount of factual information. Difference is the guy in post #1 doesn't know it.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM
buffhulk

also tried it in my 94 tt supra.....made a difference if also felt smoother through the power bands....it was effortless

Quick Reply: premix in gas