Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI Chewing up cog belts...Your thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 03:48 PM
daking350
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATI Chewing up cog belts...Your thoughts???

I have recently chewed up 2 rear cog belts on the supercharger...And when I say chewed up I mean the teeth completely wore off the belt!!!Twice!!!
Now I checked alignment and it seems to be perfect,tension is good..

These are my thoughts,let me know some input on this..
I hear a flutter sound when I lett off the accelerator quickly...So my theory is there is a problem in the surge valve or components and the compressed air has no where to go when I let off the accelerator..So what I think is happening is the air is forcing its way back into the BLOWER unit and causing it to want to stop the cog pulley,or force it to spin in the opposite direction the engine is spinning it..This force of the pulleys fighting each other is causing the belt to chew the teeth right off!!!I just hope that I did not damage the blades in the blower if this is the case
I do feel the blower VIBRATE when this happens..Am I on the right track on this???Or is this not possible??
Old 02-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was ATI response to this problem...?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:08 PM
daking350
Banned

They are sending me new pulleys and belt..But I really want to find out what the problem is so it dont chew up another belt..All the pulleys appear to be aligned properly and the belts seemed tight enough..I am really confused
Old 02-04-2004, 05:01 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=59167

is this a 180?

i'd like to help......but i think i was one of those two people that you were talking about in that thread
Old 02-04-2004, 06:07 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=59167

is this a 180?

i'd like to help......but i think i was one of those two people that you were talking about in that thread
Well that was an expected....And I admit deserved response...
I am over that and have moved on
Old 02-04-2004, 06:18 PM
12SecZ

Well then I will say that my belt started slight chewing on that belt (it was like 45 bucks I think) this was during the I am watching everything phase and checking under my hood after every drive. I caught that exact belt starting to chew and tracked it down to it rubbing on the very thin boost line. I was amazed that the soft pliable and very small boost line had caused that much damage to the belt. Long story short had to replace the boost line (it had worn to the point of about to be a vacuum leak) and rerouted it then zip tied it down. Then I bought a new belt and replaced it and never had another issue with that belt.

Anything rubbing on it that you can see? You may not notice it till the belt is warmed up and running at higher temps.

If you have went through 2 you may have damaged the surge valve, if you did then is it always open or always closed?

It is designed to fail in the closed position, this is why some are buying after market BOV's to replace that surge valve, there was concern of compresser surge and we were advised it wasn't really a warranted concern.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:40 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by 12SecZ
Well then I will say that my belt started slight chewing on that belt (it was like 45 bucks I think) this was during the I am watching everything phase and checking under my hood after every drive. I caught that exact belt starting to chew and tracked it down to it rubbing on the very thin boost line. I was amazed that the soft pliable and very small boost line had caused that much damage to the belt. Long story short had to replace the boost line (it had worn to the point of about to be a vacuum leak) and rerouted it then zip tied it down. Then I bought a new belt and replaced it and never had another issue with that belt.
Chewing on the outside of the belt or inside???Mine is chewing on the inside surface that rides on the pulleys.

Anything rubbing on it that you can see? You may not notice it till the belt is warmed up and running at higher temps.
No rubbing,Funny "flutter"sound and vibration when I accelerater and let of the accelerator.

If you have went through 2 you may have damaged the surge valve, if you did then is it always open or always closed?
I hope always open..Closed would be bad for the blower

It is designed to fail in the closed position, this is why some are buying after market BOV's to replace that surge valve, there was concern of compresser surge and we were advised it wasn't really a warranted concern.
I just ordered a blow off valve to replace the surge valve..I hope it wasnt compressor surge..That would be not good...
Old 02-04-2004, 06:49 PM
12SecZ

Chewing on the outside of the belt or inside???Mine is chewing on the inside surface that rides on the pulleys.

Mine was on the outside, at this point in my setup I have only had to replce that belt that one time, I have had to replace the serantine belt twice, it was tearing due to a warped pulley.
The bolt had came loose and it was slowly walking out and hitting metal and it warped. I fixed that too. Then my front cog belt was rubbing on the radiator shoud because it was too small and tight and didn't sit back far enough, I had to file down the shroud and replace that belt too.

Moral?

I have replaced all 3 belts lol, all 3 times I have resolved it.
1. Rubbing on something
2. Warped Pulley
3. Improper alignment.

Remember my warped pulley thread and I would stare at it and even posted a video of it and you could barely tell?

Seeing that that belt is the smallest of the 3 it may be like my case was, it appears to be running true but in fact isn't do to 1,2 or 3 above.

Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:21 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

you say your hearing a flutter when you let off the accelerator?........if anything has happened to that boost line that runs to the surge valve, it won't work, and may cause that sound.......i don't know if unreleased surge is strong enough to strip the teeth off the belt.......how have you been changing your compressor oil, by the drain plug, or with the oil sucker?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:44 PM
daking350
Banned

you say your hearing a flutter when you let off the accelerator?........if anything has happened to that boost line that runs to the surge valve, it won't work, and may cause that sound.......i don't know if unreleased surge is strong enough to strip the teeth off the belt.......how have you been changing your compressor oil, by the drain plug, or with the oil sucker?
Oil changed from the drain plug...I just pulled the unit off and inspected the blades and all seems well and the blower spins free...I am thinking that the shaft on the Eccentric tensioner is slightly warped or something....When I put just the rear belt on and spin the blower,at one point it seems to build tension as you spin it..Kind of like tight to loose tight to loose...Feel me?
Ithink Im gonna send that back to ATI for inspection..
Old 02-05-2004, 01:34 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Try and take some good pictures of the eccentric when you pull it out.......i'm wondering if that unit is the source of that janky metallic idle rattle.......that always seems to be the source of it when i'm under the hood
Old 02-05-2004, 08:43 AM
daking350
Banned

Ithink the problem may have been caused by improper belt tension..I just spoke with Eric and he informed me tha both front and rear cog belts need to be under the same tension otherwise it can cause improper belt wear..He said that the front tensioner pulley should be set,then tension should be adjusted by the Eccentric tensioner only.Gonna try that see what happens..
Old 02-05-2004, 03:32 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

so how did it go?.......does it seem better now?
Old 02-05-2004, 03:52 PM
daking350
Banned

so how did it go?.......does it seem better now?
Gonna reassemble tonight..I have no rear belt it should be here tomorrow so we shall see..I will post some pics of the belt tonight..From what ATI said once the belts were to jump and damage one tooth it would get progressively worse,it only takes a little damage on the belt to destroy it basically...
Old 02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
12SecZ

You should give Eric Kido's seems like he is on tech overload!

Kido's always cheer me up and come way too little in life.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:17 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by 12SecZ
You should give Eric Kido's seems like he is on tech overload!

Kido's always cheer me up and come way too little in life.
Big UP to Eric at ATI!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 09:14 PM
daking350
Banned

Ok....here are th pics of the belt..I THINK I found out what caused it...But I will never tell..

My findings is whenever I have had a problem on my car it has been 98% my own fault....
Attached Thumbnails ATI Chewing up cog belts...Your thoughts???-belt1.jpg  
Old 02-05-2004, 09:14 PM
daking350
Banned

picture 2
Attached Thumbnails ATI Chewing up cog belts...Your thoughts???-belt2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2004, 09:41 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

and the teeth are stripped off of your pulleys too?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:57 PM
daking350
Banned

and the teeth are stripped off of your pulleys too?
No..Just some of the black came off and you can see some knicks and what not but nothing catostrophic....

I think what happened is when I was changing to 9lb pulley combo on the front I inadvertantly put the larger pulley on BACKWARDS.. You see my original pulleys were stamped with the teeth # on the front so it was visible..So without really noticing I put the 9lb ones on that way,but the larger 9lb pulley has the # stamped on the rear So when I started the car things went bad....The belts were squelling and straining from the pulley that was on backwards rubbing the bracket..So I think that the damage on the rear pulley was caused by this cause after correcting the problem I only drove several miles before the belt got really bad...Like I said 98% of my problems to date have been self induced...I was thinking of selling my procharger..Selling my car..and buying an EVO....putting $2000 in it and running low 12's..This 350 Shizz is getting frustrating man..

Quick Reply: ATI Chewing up cog belts...Your thoughts???