Another Daily Driven Vortech Build - MY350Z.COM Forums



Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default Another Daily Driven Vortech, High CP Rebuild



Long story short, bent a rod on cylinder 5. Shortblock was swapped with a built one during the rebuild as well as some other parts from 28 NOV to 4 JAN when it was completed. Currently, the motor and clutch has been broken in for 500 miles, during retuning we experienced an issue with cylinder 2 leaking compression due to faulty head gasket. The Z has the following parts as of now


Current Modifications So Far

•Super Vortech S Rebuild by 928 Motorsports
(V3 Sci with 928 V+ Impeller, high speed bearings and better seals)
•3.12 Pulley
•34T Jackshaft Cog pulley
•Fluidampr Crank Pulley
(Current Impeller Max RPM @ 56,796 w/ 13.5-13.8psi at 6600rpm redline)
•Built Shortblock 11.1 CP (.020 Overbored)
(Wiesco Pistons, Eagle Rods)
•Revup Oil Pump
•ARP Head Bolts
•Competition Clutch Stage 3
•OBX-R 370z Longtubes Headers
•Motordyne TDX Exhaust
•Motordyne XYZ Y-Pipe w/ Resonator
•Stock VLSD w/ 3.9 Final Drive
•Nismo Lightweight Flywheel
•PMAS Maf sensor
•3 inch MAF Housing
•Kinetix Velocity Intake Manifold
•350EVO Port&Polished 72mm Throttle Body (Discontinued)
•Stillen Engine Damper
•6 Wire Grounding kit
•NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs
•720cc Injectors
•320lph AEM Fuel Pump
•Coolingmist Water Methanol Injection Kit w/ CM10 Nozzle
•Large 31"12"3" Intercooler with 3" Inlet
•Tial Q BOV w/ 2 psi Spring
•Mishimoto Thermostat
•Innovate MTX Wideband/Boost Gauge
•Tein Lowering Springs
•Injected Performance Differential Brace
•Uprev Tuner software and cable

EDIT (02-13-17) The Z will have the following part now after repairs are completed:

-CJM Stage 2 Fuel Return System
-1200cc Injectors
-2.87 Pulley
-ARP L19 Head Bolts/Studs
-Tomei 96mm Head Gaskets (0.7 thickness)
-Increased shift rpm to 7100
-66421.8 Max impeller speed at Redline (Estimated 17-18psi)


A quick picture of how she sits now...

Wheel Specs: Volk Racing TE37SL
18x9.5 +22 (285-35-18 Front) and 18x10.5 +15 (305-35-18 Rear)

Story below started out by just doing a simple blower Rebuild, then turned into much more...
V
V
V

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 03-26-2017 at 05:21 AM.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

I asked for some pics from my blower from L. Maness at Superchargerrebuilds.com, and one that really caught my attention was the difference between an SCi impeller and the original Si impeller, he explained that the only difference is that they shave the fins off the edge of the SCi to make it produce less boost, the Si does not have this done at all, and it is the only difference between the two trims. He also explained that the impeller is interchangeable with the SCi with no modification to the Volute and clears it perfectly, and said he has done this before many times doing SCi rebuilds and with good success. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-sci-vs-si.jpg  
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Rebuild of my SCi is taking longer than expected, but all is repaired and the only thing missing is the Volute. Here is a pic of the V3 with the new Si billet impeller Mr. Maness from Superchargerrebuilds.com sent me today. Volute should be at his shop by this weekend so I will be expecting the blower to be at my door by next week Friday, I hope. Its all I am missing to begin the install. Pretty excited.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-v3-sci-with-si-impeller.jpg  
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Staisman
Registered User
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 316
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Why you didn't send it to Vortech directly?
Also I think you are wrong with 10-11 psi on the SI blower. I am getting 10 PSI with my SCi trim right now but I am also using 3.12 pulley not 3.33. I have upgraded my blower to SI and will be getting tuned in 2 weeks. I am expecting anywhere between 16-18 PSI.

Last edited by Staisman; 03-25-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Staisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
jdm-v35
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
jdm-v35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lone Tree, CO
Posts: 623
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

at 10.8-11 AFR that is way too rich. you will probably be losing more power and wasting a ton of fuel.

I would aim more in the mid to high 11's to low/mid 12's AFR.

Also, I would get a return fuel system for this setup as it will help things run smoother and also will help with tuning as fuel pressure will be very consistent.

Good luck with the build! Sounds like it should turn out good.
jdm-v35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdm-v35 For This Useful Post:
BluestreamDE (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staisman View Post
Why you didn't send it to Vortech directly?
Also I think you are wrong with 10-11 psi on the SI blower. I am getting 10 PSI with my SCi trim right now but I am also using 3.12 pulley not 3.33. I have upgraded my blower to SI and will be getting tuned in 2 weeks. I am expecting anywhere between 16-18 PSI.
Hello Staisman. I actually did send it to Vortech originally and they refused to repair it. This Vortech V3 Sci was previously owned and im not sure if the guy overspun it but there was also the vortech was leaking its self contained oil where the impeller is, it looked black and thick, possibly a bad seal? They gave me an option to do a core turn in and replace it for $1,600. I kindly declined the offer and went another route. I am paying 800 with Superchargerrebuilds.com with the rebuild kit (bearings and seals) and the Si Impeller and Volute.

Yes the SCi on DE non revups originally gives 7-8 psi with the 3.33, 9-10psi with the 3.12. From what i read here on this forum, Builds on here that use the Si Trim used the 3.33 pulley gained 9-11 psi depending on exhaust mods, it also produces a higher CFM than the SCi which is shown on the Vortech website. I am also producing more boost with my Fluidampr Crank i plan to install also as this spins the blower a tad faster. The only difference between the Sci and the Si is the impeller, on my second comment i attached a picture showing the difference. If i am wrong about this, please correct me. Thanks.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm-v35 View Post
at 10.8-11 AFR that is way too rich. you will probably be losing more power and wasting a ton of fuel.

I would aim more in the mid to high 11's to low/mid 12's AFR.

Also, I would get a return fuel system for this setup as it will help things run smoother and also will help with tuning as fuel pressure will be very consistent.

Good luck with the build! Sounds like it should turn out good.
Perhaps, i am not really focused on power yet. I want it to be tuned safely for now on pump for dailying in the hot Texas summer, then perhaps push the limits harder with this Meth injection kit i got off a buddy. The previous owner of this Z used 75 and 100 shot nitrous on this motor, compression tests all came of great but i just playing it safe. Thanks for the advise and luck. Ran outta funds for the FRS i wanted from CJM. Gonna wait till i get the cash later on. The 320lph should be ok with 720cc injectors.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
NAbuilderZ33
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 198
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Hey man! You finally made a thread for yourself on here!, Glad I could help you with your build as unfortunately I gave up on mine, I still have my 11.1 CP Bottom built block, Uprev Tuner Cable and my TE37s if you wanna buy them off me, lol. Im gonna buy a more capable car now, perhaps a Z28 Camaro if I play my cards right. Good luck if you need anything else from me you know my number.
NAbuilderZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NAbuilderZ33 For This Useful Post:
BluestreamDE (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAbuilderZ33 View Post
Hey man! You finally made a thread for yourself on here!, Glad I could help you with your build as unfortunately I gave up on mine, I still have my 11.1 CP Bottom built block, Uprev Tuner Cable and my TE37s if you wanna buy them off me, lol. Im gonna buy a more capable car now, perhaps a Z28 Camaro if I play my cards right. Good luck if you need anything else from me you know my number.
I may need you to tune it for me after install lol, Uprev cable and your Volks sound tempting haha. I am broke though I let you know later on lol. Do you still have your longtube headers?

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 03-26-2016 at 09:39 AM.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #10
NAbuilderZ33
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 198
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
I may need you to tune it for me after install lol, Uprev cable and your Volks sound tempting haha. I am broke though I let you know later on lol. Do you still have your longtube headers?
No problem, If you end up buying the Cable from me I will advise learning the ins and outs of EFI tuning. There are many threads here to read and review the basics. I will talk you thru some of it as well since I tuned my own Z with an NA map, a FI map and Meth injection map. Im not the best but ill teach you what I know. and yes I still have all my exhaust parts in my storage. Just text me its faster to get a hold of me.
NAbuilderZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAbuilderZ33 View Post
No problem, If you end up buying the Cable from me I will advise learning the ins and outs of EFI tuning. There are many threads here to read and review the basics. I will talk you thru some of it as well since I tuned my own Z with an NA map, a FI map and Meth injection map. Im not the best but ill teach you what I know. and yes I still have all my exhaust parts in my storage. Just text me its faster to get a hold of me.
Haha, yea I may take you up on that. If I plan on getting tuned more than one time I might as well save money and tune myself, start out with a base map of course and making small changes to it. I read a few things already today on Tuning and I already brainfried.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #12
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default


Just to update, I purchased a Tial Q BPV in black, with the 2 psi spring for supercharged applications. I like the sound it makes and some of folks on here on the Z forum seem to love it on their builds. I also will be getting my friend NAbuilderZ33's longtube headers but I don't think I will have them installed yet as my county does smog testing and i'm due for an inspection in a few months. Still waiting on the Blower to get the volute needed to complete the rebuild and having it shipped back to me.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 07-14-2016 at 01:57 PM.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #13
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Another update, bought my friends Uprev Tuner cable and he built a base map for me to tinker with and upload after install. The impeller is hitting the volute and wont spin, the volute will be bored .020 to accomidate the new cast Si impeller. Superchargerrebuilds sent it for machining on this past Monday so hoping by tomorrow or next week monday it will be sent off to me for sure. Its taking longer than expected for my Vortech to turn around from them, but im keeping patient.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
kilogram
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
kilogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 224
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Is it really that uncommon to DD a vortech Z? Am I not supposed to drive mine in the snow ?

One thought: use the BOV to control boost rather than the pulleys. Put a normal bleed style MBC teed into the vac line to limit pressure to the top of the BOV port. You'll be able to limit max boost without losing low end punch from spinning the blower faster. You may find that the TiAL BOV does this automatically with such a light spring in it. I use a forge 50mm and I had to put a much stiffer spring in it to keep it closed above 5kprm. I may have a boost leak though, which would exacerbate the effect. It doesn't take much pressure differential from the charge pipe to the manifold to open the big valves, especially with such light springs.

I also really hate how loud the 50mm is. Wrapping it with foam helps.
kilogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #15
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogram View Post
Is it really that uncommon to DD a vortech Z? Am I not supposed to drive mine in the snow ?

One thought: use the BOV to control boost rather than the pulleys. Put a normal bleed style MBC teed into the vac line to limit pressure to the top of the BOV port. You'll be able to limit max boost without losing low end punch from spinning the blower faster. You may find that the TiAL BOV does this automatically with such a light spring in it. I use a forge 50mm and I had to put a much stiffer spring in it to keep it closed above 5kprm. I may have a boost leak though, which would exacerbate the effect. It doesn't take much pressure differential from the charge pipe to the manifold to open the big valves, especially with such light springs.

I also really hate how loud the 50mm is. Wrapping it with foam helps.
Lol, I titled my thread this cause there are soo many Vortech builds on here and i couldnt come up with an original title. I will be dailying this Z even after install as my other car is strictly my wifes. I want to be loud so the tial wont bother me at all, just my neighbors thanks for your imput though, i appreciate it.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Update, blower is repaired and completed with the Superchargerrebuild cast Si impeller upgrade, I will install next weekend with my buddy NAbuilder and we will work on doing a base street tune afterwards, once the blower is broken in after 500 miles we will push for more power with the water meth kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-rebuiltv3sciwithsiimpeller.jpg   Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-rebuiltv3backside.jpg  
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Update, installation of the Rebuilt vortech is completed. We managed to install the piping, injectors, fuelpump and blower and mounting bracket in less than 4hrs. 1st start up was really smooth since NAbuilder built a Base 93 pump map for me with low timing at Open throttle and 11.0Afr. Runs at 900rpm at idle and fluctuates 14.6-14.9afr at idle which is ok for now. Currently have the Fluidampr and 3.33 pulley combo for now and wont be redlining till the blower is broken in maybe for 200-300 miles but halfthrottle shows plenty of power that has been picked up. Overall i am satisfied with the rebuilt V3, it is louder than i thought it would be but my friend who owned the blower before me said this is fine, said it was slightly louder that when he had the Sci impeller so i wont be worried.

Just to add, we did not install the Water meth kit yet, it was suggested that i buy another nylon hose from Coolingmist as well as some nozzle attachments so that will have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Daily Driven Vortech Build-0423161432-2.jpg  

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 04-23-2016 at 11:59 AM.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
Resmarted
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ur face
Posts: 3,493
Thanked 61 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Looks good! Give it hell!
Resmarted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resmarted For This Useful Post:
BluestreamDE (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #19
BluestreamDE
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
BluestreamDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 340
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resmarted View Post
Looks good! Give it hell!
Thanks, my friend did most of the work, he really is a smart guy on the Z, he even tuned it for me, im still learning but i am sure i will be able to tune like him eventually.

I took it to redline yesterday after work and with the 3.33 and Fluidampr it put me at exactly 11 psi. I am running rich right now 10.8-11.0 with low timing on this street tune. Pulled strong and it scares me cause i had the VDC off, and i still have 3.9 gears.
BluestreamDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #20
Resmarted
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ur face
Posts: 3,493
Thanked 61 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
Thanks, my friend did most of the work, he really is a smart guy on the Z, he even tuned it for me, im still learning but i am sure i will be able to tune like him eventually.

I took it to redline yesterday after work and with the 3.33 and Fluidampr it put me at exactly 11 psi. I am running rich right now 10.8-11.0 with low timing on this street tune. Pulled strong and it scares me cause i had the VDC off, and i still have 3.9 gears.
That's going to be plenty of wheelspin with 3.9 gears!
Resmarted is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Copyright 2002 - 2017, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send