Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another Daily Driven Vortech Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:58 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

some good info here:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ut-fellas.html
Old 12-12-2016, 06:28 AM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

ATS twin carbon with strongest pressure plate.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:53 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

I went with a Stage 3 Competition Clutch, segmented multi friction disc instead of the puck style for more street manners. Rated at 550tq I believe. Should be here on Thursday. Thanks for your suggestions, Twin disc or some of the higher end clutches are outta my price range ATM
Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 AM
BluestreamDE

Stopped by the shop to drop off the stage 3 clutch and and also learned the real reason why my Z was knocking. It wasn't a spun bearing at all, it was a bent rod.

Here is a shot from the top of the old block. Looks like there was uneven mixtures in each of the cylinders due to the Methanol injection kit not dispersing equally, in combination with compensating running leaner AFRs with the pump gas to even out my AFR or Lambda readings.

Misc pic of random parts being prepped. Peep the metal shavings in the oil pan.

And here is another shot of the new built Shortblock with some parts installed already like the new oil pump, ARP head studs and some o-rings/gaskets.

Shop owner said the car "Should" be done before Xmas, he has three more cars he is doing on top of mine so we will see. The excitement is killing me.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:07 AM
BluestreamDE

Update. Things are moving a tad slower than I thought but the heads are back and now are on the new shortblock with the ARP head bolts, thermostat and upper oil pan in place.

Motor will be in end of day on Friday with my OBX Longtubes and stage 3 clutch installed, by next week Monday or Tuesday I should be taking it home granted there are no issues
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 AM
OldManZ350

Looking Good.....

IMO, I'd spend the money for the Billit Gurgle..... it 's well worth the money.

Also hope you have L19 Head Studs?

What kind of Clutch?

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-21-2016 at 09:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:10 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Looking Good.....

IMO, I'd spend the money for the Billit Gurgle..... it 's well worth the money.

Also hope you have L19 Head Studs?

What kind of Clutch?
Unfortunately for me Xmas shopping took a large chunk of my funds (Which I was going to use for the stage 1 AAM fuel return system). So what I got for the build is what I am using for now. I didn't know about that gurgle u mentioned till now actually and just looked it up. Very nice piece.

No I went with the standard ARP Head stud Kit. I'm not trying to push more than 17psi on this high compression block on 93pump+Meth, and even with stock studs on your car Oldman, you are pushing 17psi and up with no problems lifting heads. I think I will be just fine with the added insurance ARP guarantees.

The clutch I have is Competition Cluch stage 3 with the segmented disk instead of the puck style. It's rated at 550tq I believe.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:23 AM
OldManZ350

I understand about a budget, but the segmented clutch you will HATE on the street..

Should wait for the part you really need. IMO

Always OVERKILL on Extreme Load Parts.. it not to late to changes them ont now before install. IMO

You now have a lot of money invested, You don't want more engine problems down the road, and everybody always wants more power.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 AM
BluestreamDE

I appreciate the kind words of advice. I will be fine with the clutch, I have a guess on how hard it will feel in mine as I drove my buddy's Evo 9 with a Spec stage 3 clutch and his was a bit stiff, but not too bad. I will get used to it and adjust my driving style as necessary.

As for more power, yes you are right, however I technically can't due to not having a fuel return system yet. There was a build on here with a Vortech SI trim with a returnless system capping out at 480whp on pump alone with 725cc injectors. So with the CM10 nozzle (12.8gph) for my Methanol kit and added compression, I know I will be right at or over 500whp once dialed in, and for the street, that is enough for me. Once I do purchase a fuel return system, I will try to increase boost steadily.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:48 AM
OldManZ350

Then spend you money on a good fuel system. Like a CJM Stage 2. It's possible that was at least in part of you motor bread down. It will SAVE you from a lot of Tuning Headaches......
Old 12-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

If your still looking for arp's when I get home in Jan I will be tearing apart my motor and will sell you my L19's
Old 12-21-2016, 03:59 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Then spend you money on a good fuel system. Like a CJM Stage 2. It's possible that was at least in part of you motor bread down. It will SAVE you from a lot of Tuning Headaches......
Yea tuning a returnless system is a bit of an annoyance as the fuel pressure is not always stable and AFRs are pretty jumpy even with adjusting the fuel compensation as close as I can to the Target air fuel ratio. I've been learning pretty quickly how restrictive the system is lol. I will definitely consider CJM for a fuel return system in the future.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:00 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by Conway_160
If your still looking for arp's when I get home in Jan I will be tearing apart my motor and will sell you my L19's
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I would consider buying them from u.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:27 AM
BluestreamDE

Update on the motor rebuild. Motor is still being put together by the shop, the majority of the engine is put together minus the starter, alternator, lower oil pan, Fluidampr and intake manifold. The valve covers, spark plugs, coilpacks and Longtube Headers will be installed after the block is mounted and hooked up to the transmission. They said also that they will fix little things for me like my Intercooler brace, some wiring I had done for the meth injection kit and fixing the welds for my Meth Injection nozzle on my charge pipe which was awesome. I was told to shoot for Friday to take her home but to be prepared to pick it up sometime next week. I just took a few snapshots of the car in the shop, not much change. Still waiting patiently.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Conway_160

Since your front bumper is still on I'm assuming they took the motor out of the bottom and not the front?
Old 12-27-2016, 10:52 AM
BluestreamDE

Since your front bumper is still on I'm assuming they took the motor out of the bottom and not the front?
Yes the front end is still intact. They removed the motor from underneath the car by unbolting and removing the subframe.They told me that they wouldn't even try fighting with my LTHs until the block was in placed in the car because they did it this way, if they fed it from the front it would of been easier to deal with the headers.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Conway_160

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Yes the front end is still intact. They removed the motor from underneath the car by unbolting and removing the subframe.They told me that they wouldn't even try fighting with my LTHs until the block was in placed in the car because they did it this way, if they fed it from the front it would of been easier to deal with the headers.
LOL they are going to have a lot of fun trying to put the headers on the car with the engine in the car. I had to pull my motor to put mine on not enough room the get them in. I didn't think it was bad putting the engine in the car from the front with my LTH's by myself.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:09 AM
BluestreamDE

LOL they are going to have a lot of fun trying to put the headers on the car with the engine in the car. I had to pull my motor to put mine on not enough room the get them in. I didn't think it was bad putting the engine in the car from the front with my LTH's by myself.
Lol hey they are the professionals. If they wanna do it their way that's fine, as long as the job is done and there is no issues, broken parts and leaks, I don't care what methods they use. Price won't change for the bill
Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Conway_160

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Lol hey they are the professionals. If they wanna do it their way that's fine, as long as the job is done and there is no issues, broken parts and leaks, I don't care what methods they use. Price won't change for the bill
If the price don't change F it then.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:39 AM
BluestreamDE

Small update, motor is installed back into the Z. The OBX Longtubes and clutch were also installed successfully.

The starter, AC and coolant/cooling system were near completion from Friday. Today and tomorrow they will finish up with the valve covers, ignition and fuel system, wiring harness, intake manifold and VORTECH bracket and piping. Hoping by tomorrow evening the car will be completed.

Last edited by BluestreamDE; 01-03-2017 at 08:08 PM.