Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How to prime a fresh built motor??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:14 PM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to prime a fresh built motor??

So I searched and searched for proper procedures to prime a vq. My search seemed to be a dead end. Can anyone please explain the proper way to prime these motors?? A friend of mine said I can use his tool he has to prime. Pressurized tank of some sort idk. I'm really just looking to understand the right way to prime before I do the start. Any help or and explanation as to how to do it would be very appreciated!!! Thxs
Old 06-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Unicus

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm fairly certain the priming is done during reassembly/initial assembly. If it was professionally built is should be done already. I'm kind of confused as most who build new motors have a good amount of subject matter knowledge, can you provide more details? Has it been sitting/fresh build etc?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:26 PM
35reilly

It's a fresh build. And how is that possible when there is no oil in it. Assembly lube on all parts but other then that you have to get oil in it and get it up top to all the critical parts. Definitely needs to be primed.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 PM
wisniaPl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess.fill it with fluids take out fuses for fuel pump and ignition...prime away till you get oil pressure on your gauge...when engine was assembled all the bearings etc should have assembly lube on them for initial movement
Also people prime engines using drill and socket spining oil pump itself....
Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

So you lube it really good, then you pull your fuel pump fuse and crank it untill you get oil pressure then you can start it. Thats what i was told at least.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:37 PM
35reilly

Yeah I was told that to but I also read that out oil pumps won't build psi under just cranking. Idk I could be wrong. I been told pressurizing the oil galleries with a tank is the way to do it. I just don't know where to tie into a oil gallery.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Conway_160

Cranking it should get you a few PSI, not alot but once you see the guage move you should be fine.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 PM
Conway_160

Or you could also take off a valve cover and crank it untill you see oil up top.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the ECU to shut off the fuel pumps cranked it a few times to get the oil moving then started it. Assembly lube is designed for this very purpose so don't get too worried about it.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:11 AM
35reilly

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I used the ECU to shut off the fuel pumps cranked it a few times to get the oil moving then started it. Assembly lube is designed for this very purpose so don't get too worried about it.
Thxs bud. I'm either doing that or a buddy of mine has a pressurized oil tank for priming motors. Said I could use it to prime. Just ever since I had my oil starvation issue I'm freaked out.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 35reilly
So I searched and searched for proper procedures to prime a vq. My search seemed to be a dead end. Can anyone please explain the proper way to prime these motors?? A friend of mine said I can use his tool he has to prime. Pressurized tank of some sort idk. I'm really just looking to understand the right way to prime before I do the start. Any help or and explanation as to how to do it would be very appreciated!!! Thxs
unplug the coil packs

take out all the spark plugs

pour a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder

than start the car with your foot all the way down on the accelerator pedal

hear 4 cranks then stop do this 3 times. then your good to go. re attach everything back together.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Unicus
I'm fairly certain the priming is done during reassembly/initial assembly. If it was professionally built is should be done already. I'm kind of confused as most who build new motors have a good amount of subject matter knowledge, can you provide more details? Has it been sitting/fresh build etc?
Pre assembly lube is just for those first few cranks. You still need to build proper oil pressure.

Just disconnect your coil packs and crank it over for a bit. Don't go too long, but after 10 seconds (I always go for extra time, same with my buddies just to be safe), you should have built oil pressure. Then plug your coils back in THE RIGHT WAY, and let her rip.

Last edited by Resmarted; 07-03-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:30 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Justin100
unplug the coil packs

take out all the spark plugs

pour a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder

than start the car with your foot all the way down on the accelerator pedal

hear 4 cranks then stop do this 3 times. then your good to go. re attach everything back together.
Lmao.

You can oil the cylinders if you want, but I don't advise flooring your car lmao. That's not a good idea at all. Good way to hit rev limiter on a cold not even started engine, which is a dumbass thing to do.

Yet another time where justin is clueless.

You're supposed to let the car idle for about 5 minutes and change the oil and filter immediately. As in let it warm up.

The idea being if there are any issues mechanically, letting the car idle will prevent excess damage (vs reving it up like a f*cking ****) and you can inspect the filter for debris.

Mess with the tune until you can get it to hold idle. If adjusting the tune doesn't work, then you likely have an issue. Ground might be loose, coil packs incorrectly installed, mechanical issues (jumped timing perhaps).

Last edited by Resmarted; 07-03-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:35 AM
Conway_160

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Lmao.

You can oil the cylinders if you want, but I don't advise flooring your car lmao. That's not a good idea at all. Good way to hit rev limiter on a cold not even started engine, which is a dumbass thing to do.

You're supposed to let the car idle for about 5 minutes and change the oil and filter immediately. As in let it warm up.

The idea being if there are any issues mechanically, letting the car idle will prevent excess damage (vs reving it up like a f*cking ****) and you can inspect the filter for debris.

Mess with the tune until you can get it to hold idle. If adjusting the tune doesn't work, then you likely have an issue. Ground might be loose, coil packs incorrectly installed, mechanical issues (jumped timing perhaps).
Hes saying floor it with the coils and plugs removed to let air more freely sonir cranks quicket and easier.
The following users liked this post:
iideadeyeii (07-05-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 03:24 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

They should have lubed parts during assembly.

If your uncertain or not comfortable just filling up the motor with oil and fluids and cranking it. Take out the rockers, cam shaft, crank shaft and coat them and the pistons/rings.

Let it idle and run a basic motor break in. Aka for the first 500 miles don't rev more than half of the red line. In our cars that would me 3.5 or 4K RPM.

Then after 500 to 1,000 you can get closer to the red line but I wouldn't ride it. After about 800-1,000 to me motors are broken in. I also change my oil at both 500 and 1,000 miles due to shavings and other contaminants that come from a new tight motor and metals.

Some people feel fine after 500, some just drop in and go. All what you deem fit with your equipment.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Lmao.

Modern ECU controlled cars all have a "cylinder clear" function for clearing flooded cylinders. You floor the throttle when cranking. This tells the ECU to shut off the fuel injectors. Besides, with the coils off and plugs out, it's not gonna start.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Modern ECU controlled cars all have a "cylinder clear" function for clearing flooded cylinders. You floor the throttle when cranking. This tells the ECU to shut off the fuel injectors. Besides, with the coils off and plugs out, it's not gonna start.
Oh. I just realized what he was saying. That's different.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

lol..........when you cut off spark and fuel....the engine wont start buddy............
Old 07-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Justin100
lol..........when you cut off spark and fuel....the engine wont start buddy............
No ****, why I said to pull the coils and crank it over.

I really hope you just have autism and have a helper with you at all times.