Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

I got bit by the bug. Supercharger Questions (Eaton M90)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:52 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the reason the stillen kit had the ceiling it did wasnt because it wasnt scale able nor anything at all wrong with a roots style blower. The reason it didnt make power was because it used the tiny m62 eaton, the smallest one they make(or was at the time i guess they have a m45 now also) its the same one the cobalt ss uses. considering the warranty stillen offers it makes perfect sense why they used what they did. they went to procharger for the newer engines because its easier to do with dual throttle bodies.

the m90 peaks out at roughly 150% of the flow of the m62 and only about 14% less than the m112 the terminator cobras come with, the whole 62 cubic inches, 90 cubic inchs, ect. per rotation was for the very first gen 1's they flow far more than that in later iterations. however it will need a custom lower to bolt on and get the pulleys to line up properly.

despite what others are arguing here roush used these on the 4.6 3 valve mustangs as well and was enough to hit the limit of their factory internals(450 hp on a blower). just because it only pushs 260 hp on the gm 3800 doesn't mean much those engines are tough as hell but they arnt very efficient and the blowers only hit about 6 psi at most with 8.5 compression at that 260 hp. guys have pushed them to 20 psi with 10:1 compression on e85.

the blower is more than capable of putting out enough to bust the factory rods
Originally Posted by bealljk
Not to crap on the thread but you shouldn't mimic what stillen did with their first generation supercharger. It sucked, wasn't scaleable, had a 350whp ceiling, and horrible tuning potential. There's a reason why they reverted to Vortech for their second generation. I don't know anything that'll mate up...other than something that comes off a CNC machine.

I also think Eaton saw that there wasn't potential in a roots charger on this application and they didn't research, design, and market a product.

If it was me - sell it and minimize your loses...
The following users liked this post:
Raja Harrison (05-09-2019)
Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 PM
jerryd87

keep in mind if your going through the effort to make this fit however i would put a couple laminova heat exchangers in the lower manifold to cool.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM
jperkins21

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said my man. I was going to do one myself and creating a custom intake was going to be the least of my worries. But the fact that I found an aps turbo kit, I would have to cut a hole in my hood for the snout, and the high intake air temps kinda steered me away.

I figured out a way to run the stock pullies with a longer belt just in a different configuration as well. I think it would be a great project to figure out how much someone could make out of it..but for me i found a turbo kit local for cheap lol
Old 04-25-2017, 04:00 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
they went to procharger for the newer engines because its easier to do with dual throttle bodies.
vortech, right?
https://www.stillen.com/stillen-2007...ssan-350z.html

Last edited by bealljk; 04-25-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Stiller uses Vortech's not procharger.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:04 PM
LOLmustangLOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if it's possible to move from a MP62 to a M90 from the stillen kit. I think you can use the MP62 nose on the M90 with that being said and it should match up fairly easily

Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 AM
jperkins21

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would be possible but not worth the price of the still an kit and the upgrade.

We are thinking about a $100-250 gtp supercharger and a $100 custom made plenum/adapter. Cheap boost in a form that nobody else has for a fraction of the price is what we were looking for in this type of build
Old 05-02-2017, 10:54 AM
jerryd87

Eh thought it was procharger ok so I'll reword, the reason they went CENTRIFUGAL supercharger is it's easier with dual throttle bodies.
Originally Posted by bealljk
Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 PM
LOLmustangLOL

Originally Posted by jperkins21
Would be possible but not worth the price of the still an kit and the upgrade.

We are thinking about a $100-250 gtp supercharger and a $100 custom made plenum/adapter. Cheap boost in a form that nobody else has for a fraction of the price is what we were looking for in this type of build
I got my stillen kit fairly cheap... cost me about 1k
Old 05-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Trap Star

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LOLmustangLOL
Wonder if it's possible to move from a MP62 to a M90 from the stillen kit. I think you can use the MP62 nose on the M90 with that being said and it should match up fairly easily
From what I've been able to find the noses are not interchangeable. I'm still planning on working on developing this but school and other personal things that popped up recently has prevented any progress. Luckily I finish with this semester this week and my other ******** will be resolved by the end of next week.

I also was finally able to rescue my spare VQ from the house its been held hostage at since October. So now I have a platform I can use to work on a mounting solution without having to worry about preventing work on the engine I'll be running in my car. You can see the VQ in the back of my friends truck, the SR in my jeep is another project of mine that I'm working on for my S13. Small piece of advice to anyone who needs it, don't buy 4 cars that you want to work on.
Name:  sr%20jeep_zps2uglatcs.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  87.7 KB

Anyway, progress will probably still be somewhat slow but I will update when I can. If I can locate a M62 I'll do some experimenting to see if I can find a way to adapt the nose to the M90.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 PM
LOLmustangLOL

update on this?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Z ELIMINATOR

I talked to stillen in 2005 and they did mount a M90 on one of there cars
it did not work.
they could not get the car to run properly for street use.
and they had a different ecu box for the car.

Z
Old 01-08-2018, 02:41 AM
Conway_160

So, is this still going?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I highly doubt it.

It's probably in a part bin in his garage by now.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:31 AM
Conway_160

Thats what im thinking, but it would have been cool to see this through.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Eh I liked the engenuity, but at the end of the day. It's just another kid, too cheap to do it properly and reinvents the wheel instead of just putting up the cash and doing it right the first time.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
Eh I liked the engenuity, but at the end of the day. It's just another kid, too cheap to do it properly and reinvents the wheel instead of just putting up the cash and doing it right the first time.
when I first read this thread it was guy saves money on buying a supercharger, guys spends a ton of money fitting said supercharger to engine and maybe it works or maybe it doesn't...
Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Raja Harrison
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
Sorry to burst your bubble bud, but it's more than just scotch taping a super charger to any random engine.

And its not hate, we're just rolling our eyes at another memeber who doesn't have a clue and won't get this done and wants us to magically find a way for him to make this work to start his build thread of $100 900 VQ junkyard SC build.

but we're not ganna suck your azz hole and feed your smoke by trying to build a SC on $100 lunch money at the junk yard.

Cool find sure. But it's a pipe dream. Your a dime a dozen kid. Sorry to burst your bubble but we're not ganna hold your hand and spoon feed you like you want us to.

Not being dicks. It's called being in the real world and getting into something you hardly know anything about, if you did you wouldn't be here asking us to make this work for you
I’m tired of reading this idiocy. Dude have there heads so far up there *** they think that they can tell someone something with knowledge they don’t have. You don’t know about making it work with a 350z. So don’t talk about how hard it is. Your perception of why Stillen switched is dumb opportune ******** because your reluctant to believe this build is possible. Which nobody gives a **** keep your comments to yourself. Thirdly. Just because he had half a brain to source a blower for cheap doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the other half that would allow him to spend what is needed ( not a lot by the way) to complete the build. You. Sir are just a shitty innovator . Which explains why your in the heckler seat with nothing but mouth and speculation while he’s driving the I’m going to do something common sense can figure out seat. Smh. I really made an account to respond because I was so fed up with your “It’s A PIpe DreAm” ********. Yeah. Putting a turbo on my maxima was a pipe dream at one point. It took someone smarter than you ****s to hear the ******** come out of people like yours mouth and disregard because common sense and ingenuity prevailed. Couple of key points. It’s not more expensive to fab than a turbo kit. Quite a lot cheaper. If you have half a brain with half an idea. Secondly. It won’t fall in its face the same way a Vortech wouldn’t. Thirdly. Boost is boost. Especially when you have a reasonable ho goal like 350. A gen 5 m90 ported on a stock 3.2 belt will get your house numbers. And the fab is literally and eyeball job. Find a way to mount it to your LIM. Or go all out and fabricate an LIM. ILL GIVE YOU A HINT. ONE IS CHEAPER THAN THE OTHER. SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE INTELLIGENCE. YOU GET OPTIONS THAT HAVE THEIR PROS AND CONS. Not discouraging ******** talk with not one single one off build as an example of your innovation. Which you don’t have at all. Which is why you’ll continue to be a consumer with no fathomable idea of what it means to have original thought to produce things that haven’t already been done before. Nobody is reinventing the wheel. Your just to dumb to see that variety is the spice of life. And your rigid idea of thought will die with your old *** because it has no pretense of diversity.

Last edited by Raja Harrison; 05-09-2019 at 08:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Raja Harrison:
EmeraldLeaf (10-23-2020), STR8WESTCOASTN (03-06-2023)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Raja Harrison
Banned

Originally Posted by Trap Star
Ok so here's some more pictures and dimensions. Most of them are just rough measurements you'll see in the pics. The mounting surface is about 9.5in across at its widest. Now there is another version of this supercharger that came on some Mercury XR7s and Ford Tbirds that did not have the whole throttle body attachment at the back that may make for easier mounting in the car. If I can find one of those I'll probably grab one of each style until I make a decision.

Attachment 382538

Attachment 382539

Attachment 382540

One of the other things I've been looking into is different length snouts. Unfortunately while it looks like there are several for the M62, I have not found any for the M90, and the 2 do not look to be interchangeable.
Look for the gen 3 m90. I think the snout is longer and it may bolt on. Or the m112
Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Raja Harrison
Banned

Originally Posted by rcdash
Wow, that is not conducive to feeding into 6 runners at all! You'll basically have to convert a lower manifold to cover that size. Too much work
No you don’t. Too much idiocy 🥴 use your head. If you have one.

Quick Reply: I got bit by the bug. Supercharger Questions (Eaton M90)