Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

10psi build question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 03:21 PM
jdm0830

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
James, I agree on having more room to grow, duty cycles etc. My Point is-- If my 600cc are good and more than capable to support stock block numbers ( 8psi ) , why would one need 1000cc for just a re-tune? -- The shop should not deny a re-tune just because you don't have 1000cc injectors. To recommend 1000cc or bust is a bit overkill for stock block. IMO

OP- Check out https://www.facebook.com/realautodynamics/ - Give them a call. Talk to Alex, the owner. They do a lot of work on Nissan / Infinity and he is very knowledgeable on the VQ platform. My best recommendation would be RT Tuning in PA. Its a bit of a ride from us, but well worth it. Vince@RTtuning FTW.

Thanks, Let me check out RT.

Regarding the 10PSI im making at WOT. 600cc still friendly?

I already have these 550CC injectors installed and running. Im just wondering if it would make a difference. I don't plan to make the car any faster if I can help it lol. Its already got enough power and its hard to put it all to the ground without the right tires and petal modulation.

From what I gather, im running at a higher duty cycle to achieve the fuel I need. Im of the school of that thought that if im running at 80-95% duty cycle im just getting my moneys worth. im sure if/when these fail its happening regardless if it was 60% duty cycle or 90%.

I deff dont want to push the stock block past its limits. the only way I would consider 1000cc injectors is if I can increase reliability or safety. Or if i was to consider a conversion for e85. However, if someone would cut me a slick deal on an engine so I can rebuild it, let me know: )
Old 12-18-2020, 07:52 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,290 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm0830
Thanks, Let me check out RT.

Regarding the 10PSI im making at WOT. 600cc still friendly?

I already have these 550CC injectors installed and running. Im just wondering if it would make a difference. I don't plan to make the car any faster if I can help it lol. Its already got enough power and its hard to put it all to the ground without the right tires and petal modulation.

From what I gather, im running at a higher duty cycle to achieve the fuel I need. Im of the school of that thought that if im running at 80-95% duty cycle im just getting my moneys worth. im sure if/when these fail its happening regardless if it was 60% duty cycle or 90%.

I deff dont want to push the stock block past its limits. the only way I would consider 1000cc injectors is if I can increase reliability or safety. Or if i was to consider a conversion for e85. However, if someone would cut me a slick deal on an engine so I can rebuild it, let me know: )
You're fine at 550cc but that will likely be your weak point. Your tuner will let you know when you run out of fuel injector and hopefully he has the wherewithal to keep you under 80%? maybe 85% duty cycle.

You should do some reading up on why it's foolish to run your injectors up past 80% duty cycle ... after 85% or 90% you essentially lose control of your fuel ... you might as well not have an injector there and at high load / high rpm the last thing you want is to not be able to control your fuel. So, yes, you are getting your moneys worth on your injector but your engine will pay the price - penny-wise / pound foolish. Further, fuel flow above the 80% is unstable and non-linear (I'll repeat it) the last place you want non-linear and unstable fuel flow is at high engine load and high RPMs - you're asking for detonation which will ruin your weekend.

As my good buddy JDMV35 says ... do it nice or do it twice

Last edited by bealljk; 12-18-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:40 AM
jdm0830

Originally Posted by bealljk
You're fine at 550cc but that will likely be your weak point. Your tuner will let you know when you run out of fuel injector and hopefully he has the wherewithal to keep you under 80%? maybe 85% duty cycle.

You should do some reading up on why it's foolish to run your injectors up past 80% duty cycle ... after 85% or 90% you essentially lose control of your fuel ... you might as well not have an injector there and at high load / high rpm the last thing you want is to not be able to control your fuel. So, yes, you are getting your moneys worth on your injector but your engine will pay the price - penny-wise / pound foolish. Further, fuel flow above the 80% is unstable and non-linear (I'll repeat it) the last place you want non-linear and unstable fuel flow is at high engine load and high RPMs - you're asking for detonation which will ruin your weekend.

As my good buddy JDMV35 says ... do it nice or do it twice

That makes a ton of sense. So past 80% we are running into non liner fuel supply. that can be a massive issue. definitely some food for thought. I mostly run around 4K on the and never really run WOT. You've given me a rational explanation for safety. Maybe ill go check out some 1000CC injectors now
Old 12-18-2020, 04:06 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
James, I agree on having more room to grow, duty cycles etc. My Point is-- If my 600cc are good and more than capable to support stock block numbers ( 8psi ) , why would one need 1000cc for just a re-tune? -- The shop should not deny a re-tune just because you don't have 1000cc injectors. To recommend 1000cc or bust is a bit overkill for stock block. IMO

OP- Check out https://www.facebook.com/realautodynamics/ - Give them a call. Talk to Alex, the owner. They do a lot of work on Nissan / Infinity and he is very knowledgeable on the VQ platform. My best recommendation would be RT Tuning in PA. Its a bit of a ride from us, but well worth it. Vince@RTtuning FTW.
Originally Posted by jdm0830
That makes a ton of sense. So past 80% we are running into non liner fuel supply. that can be a massive issue. definitely some food for thought. I mostly run around 4K on the and never really run WOT. You've given me a rational explanation for safety. Maybe ill go check out some 1000CC injectors now
Vas brought up some very good points ... if you're just going in for a re-tune than it shouldnt be a big deal. If you dont want to spend the money on them right now than just stick with your 550cc injectors and tell your tuner to get you as much HP based off 80% duty cycle ... 550cc at 52psi fuel pressure will behave like +/-600cc injectors, take 75% of that and you're at 450cc, if the age-old 1cc per hp stands true (which it doesnt) than you'll be around 450hp, factor in that its more like 1.25cc per hp and youre mid to high 300hp ... call it 360 to 380hp. If you're content with that than just roll with it and when you want more power than upgrade your injectors, your fuel pump, maybe do a return system and go re-tune ...

and who knows, you may be a little closer to 400hp if youre tuner pushed the injectors a little harder ...

not what I would do personally, but this is your car, your build, you decision!

Keep us posted on what you do and the results ...
Old 12-18-2020, 07:56 PM
jdm0830

Originally Posted by bealljk
Vas brought up some very good points ... if you're just going in for a re-tune than it shouldnt be a big deal. If you dont want to spend the money on them right now than just stick with your 550cc injectors and tell your tuner to get you as much HP based off 80% duty cycle ... 550cc at 52psi fuel pressure will behave like +/-600cc injectors, take 75% of that and you're at 450cc, if the age-old 1cc per hp stands true (which it doesnt) than you'll be around 450hp, factor in that its more like 1.25cc per hp and youre mid to high 300hp ... call it 360 to 380hp. If you're content with that than just roll with it and when you want more power than upgrade your injectors, your fuel pump, maybe do a return system and go re-tune ...

and who knows, you may be a little closer to 400hp if youre tuner pushed the injectors a little harder ...

not what I would do personally, but this is your car, your build, you decision!

Keep us posted on what you do and the results ...
did you read the first post.... im doing 420HP right now its doing those numbers tuned on 91 with 7psi + meth. without meth its like 380HP. now its doing 10psi and thats the whole reason for the retune. Secondary reason is I have access to 93. I have a CJM Fuel return system already. I have a fuel pressure gauge too. I got like every bell and whistle you could want. Before Timrod, JETMECH had the title of most R and D into his car. I own JETMECH's old car lol. these forums are crawling with info on this exact build. Its actually how I was able to figure out what all went into the car.

After close to 1.5 years, I know pretty much everything that in this. I keep debating dumping the car or keeping it, but I feel like I'd regret selling it lol.

However, deff taking your input. My tuner in Cali (Church) deff must have taken all this into account when tuning my car. it literally makes exactly the numbers you expected it to make. Im sure that under 80% duty cycle is key. I think for my next tune, I might go with API.... As soon as I can get them on the phone! lol
Old 09-16-2021, 10:01 PM
jdm0830

Hey guys!!

so updates! Haven’t done **** lol. I replaced my belts and a pulley. I’m actually doing closer to 14psi.

can’t find a tuner. Freaking Instagram tuners scare me to be honest. Now that I have some slightly better knowledge, I think I’ll be reaching out to RTT.

Limp mode said I should get it the uprev maf. Makes sense. I gotta go see if I have that or not already.

I just started poking around the tune from church. I gotta check if I’m at 80% duty cycle or not to see if I have space left on these current Injectors with the extra air im pushing.

I also networked around since I last checked in. I found a few places I can buy Dyno time as well. One of those places recommended I do admin via remote tune. Admin also comes to nyc, but again. A bit stand off ish with them. They also weren’t like super helpful when I was messaging them.

I want to get this thing tuned so I can sleep well at night knowing that I’m going WOT in second as I drive by cones in auto cross lol.

juan
Old 09-17-2021, 06:55 AM
GreyZ

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

There are quite a few tuners that I would trust. But all of them are busy as hell and expensive. I am turbo, 13psi and tuned by admin. I did a remote tune and then followed that up with a dyno tune with him to get it totally dialed in and I am very happy with the tune. I would guess that he is tuning 1000 cars a year right now or possibly more. Finding a good tuner that has time to have a conversation about your build questions is hard to find. Really hard. Regardless of who you tune with there are a few things that I would recommend.
  1. For discussion of logs, or any questions on setup, kits, tune, etc. Post it here and on facebook in the Boosted 350z pages. That will get you answers and recommendations. Often times you can gain opinions from a couple of the big name tuners there easier than sending an email to them.
  2. Tuners are in the business to make money. I have found that after you send money, there is better room for conversation with what ever tuner you choose. They get a million questions a day, and have to prioritize who gets their focus.
  3. When you go to tune make sure you and your tuner are 100% on the same page of what mods your car has, brand, specs, everything.
  4. Make sure you and your tuner are 100% on the same page on how you plan to use the car. He is probably going to tune the car different for a car that is autocrossed and heat soaked then beat on at an event compared to a car that does rolling highway pulls. Make sure this is clear.

Lastly, it just kindof sucks dealing with tuners. I have dealt with a lot of them. RTT, Admin, Jon@Z1, and some Local dyno shops and its very similar with all of them. They are all neck deep busy and they have the option of just skipping you and going to the next guy in line if you are a pain for them. It sucks, but it is the way it is right now in the industry.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:35 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Admin/Moncef would be a good resource and he will be very familiar with Uprev and the chassis.

I would echo and say that any good / legit tuner is busy as hell. Have you thought about learning the Uprev software and tuning yourself? If nothing more you'll be a smarter person for it? It's not for everyone but it's not rocket science either.

And you should good the 40k ohm resistor DIY to recalibrate your MAF sensor. Relatively straight forward and will work in Uprev - would save you some cash too.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:52 PM
jdm0830

Thanks for the messages guys. I hit up RTT to see if the travel or not. I hit up admin for a spot on the second in nyc. Imma go for these maps:

1) sport (most reliable power)
2) eco (if that’s an option)
3) super sports (meth + sport for more power while safe)
4) sport with meth for cooling. Idk if I even need anything specific here

maps I care the most about are 1 and 3.

all should be done with no more than 80% duty cycle. I’ll go ahead and share this with them as well.

let me know if you guys think I’m smoking rocks!

also, gonna buy the books recommended for tuning. I’m kinda a smart guy and went through all the settings recently. A lot of it made sense between what’s in the super tuning 101 thread and the software. Any recommendations on books?

there such things as tuning for different gears?

sorry for all the questions. Hoping to be tuned on the 2nd!

juan
Old 09-17-2021, 08:37 PM
jdm0830

Quick update. Booked time with admin. Hope it goes well.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:12 PM
jdm0830

Gotta admit. This forum gave me the confidence to go with Admin Tuning. Also helps that a highly reputable tuner in CT pointed me his way as well.

I ended up doing 460HP with about 380 Torque on about 80% duty cycle.

we did one hit with 100% that cranked out 480HP.

will be dropping in the 355 fuel pump, getting a better MAF, and dropping in the fuel injectors next year.

you can check my highlights for the day on IG. @effeyejdm
Attached Thumbnails 10psi build question-1e9b615b-2af6-4e1a-be41-d00e31e2b13e.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
OldManZ350 (10-06-2021)