Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech s/c plus....... (mods)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 07:45 AM
esemes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortech s/c plus....... (mods)

hey FI dweelers....

firstly, a big TY to this forum for providing me with the vast array of info, experience, and knowledge (in a short time too)... i have been lurking here awhile, but, i am getting a 2k4 g35c(on the boat now), in the next two weeks, and have ordered the vortech s/c kit as well...

heres my question(s).....

althought the vortech kit claims to be plug and play, it benefits from dyno tuning (as do most i guess)......

if i add a true dual, and plenum (maybe v5 craw), can i just have them dialed in as well, when the tuning session is done???

i wonder if there's other safety considerations i need to implement first (plug temp, comp. ratio??)

any advice is greatly appreciated

-eS
Old 04-03-2004, 08:13 AM
baptist

From the research I have done on this board (I have a 350, with a vortech on the way). I would get a wideband 02 sensor for your car, as the air/fuel ratio is vital when using an application such as this. The Iridium 1 step colder plugs are also a good idea to help to prevent detonation.
Definately invest the $20 for the R4 software for the splitsec control box that comes with the vortech kit. That way you can get your tuner to set up the car properly.
I think that I will need a clutch in time, but I'll just see how my stock one lasts. I'm not into dragging, so i may get some time out of it!
There are a few guys on here with much more experience with the kit who have it fitted to there cars, I'm sure they'll help you out.
Best of luck.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:22 AM
esemes

Originally posted by baptist
From the research I have done on this board (I have a 350, with a vortech on the way). I would get a wideband 02 sensor for your car, as the air/fuel ratio is vital when using an application such as this. The Iridium 1 step colder plugs are also a good idea to help to prevent detonation.
Definately invest the $20 for the R4 software for the splitsec control box that comes with the vortech kit. That way you can get your tuner to set up the car properly.
I think that I will need a clutch in time, but I'll just see how my stock one lasts. I'm not into dragging, so i may get some time out of it!
There are a few guys on here with much more experience with the kit who have it fitted to there cars, I'm sure they'll help you out.
Best of luck.
would a good boost gauge and fuel press. gauge be similar to the wideband sensor??? pardon my ignorance here.... im very green about these import applications (former oldschool iron block vortech owner)

brw, where'd you get your s/c kit??? im curious if there's a better deal on em anyywhere... (will def. get the r4 software, but, do i need any special cable, like a usb, or ???)
Old 04-03-2004, 08:44 AM
baptist

Wideband is alot different to boost or fuel pressure, neither of those will tell you if your running lean or not.
The wideband includes a separate 02 sensor which is required to be installed in you exhaust (before the cats) and gives you an instant readout of whether you are running rich or lean. Running a forced induction engine lean is a surefire way of detonating and ending up with an engine in bits.
They are quite expensive, but essential in my opinion.
The R4 software requires a simple straight serial cable which is run from a laptop to the port on the splitsec box.
I have ordered a boost gauge as well, just too keep an eye on whats going on.
I got my kit from www.CPRACE.com, speak to Eric, he'll hook you up. He is very helpful. Tell him that Jon sent you from the UK.
Its all in the tuning on these high compression engines such as ours. The vortech kit comes tuned on the safe side out of the box, but you can extract more power using the R4 software.

I'm sure Fluidz can give some input on this topic, he has just had the kit installed, although he seems to be having a bit of bother with the split sec box.

Last edited by baptist; 04-03-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:21 AM
esemes

ty for the info!

here's your link, fixed.........

http://www.cprace.com
Old 04-03-2004, 11:21 AM
fluidz

after tuning a fuel pressure gauge along with a boost gauge is very nice...........eachother in relationship to eachother will tell you if things are ok, esp the fuel pressure, i say all three are vital.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:32 AM
esemes

Originally posted by fluidz
after tuning a fuel pressure gauge along with a boost gauge is very nice...........eachother in relationship to eachother will tell you if things are ok, esp the fuel pressure, i say all three are vital.
hey fluid--

would you recommend doing a full true dual zaust (not interested in removing the cats, even though there's no inspections whatsoever in FL) and intake plenum prior to the s/c (during orig. break-in)??

or should i wait and apply the zaust and plen. afterwards, during dyno time??

id at least like to do the true dual borlas right away, to free up some back pressure for the blower to utilize..

thoughts, as always, are welcomed!
Attached Thumbnails vortech s/c plus....... (mods)-4nz218-010s_layout.gif  

Last edited by esemes; 04-03-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:39 PM
zimbo

Make sure you do the mods BEFORE tuning the Vortech kit, unless you're willing to pay for dyno/tuning time to retune afterward.

--Steve