Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Apex'i S-AFC-II vs. AEM Wideband

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 12:27 PM
joshbrittain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apex'i S-AFC-II vs. AEM Wideband

Ive decided to go with the polished Vortech kit and the Borla headers and TD exhaust. Now I just have to decide between the AEM Wideband and Apex'i Super AFC II. Normally I would just use the search to find out as much as I can about both, but it doesnt seem to be working. What are you guys using and how do you like it? Is the S-AFC as accurate? Do those of you that use the S-AFC use a separate boost gauge or just use the boost display on the unit?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:31 PM
fluidz

AEM......
Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why do you need to decide between these 2 products - they do not remotely do the same thing.......
Old 04-18-2004, 05:37 PM
5thgenluder

im pretty sure the safc doesnt display air to fuel ratio or boost. the safc is a tool used in conjunction with a boost gauge and afr gauge. the apex piece is used to better tune the system
Old 04-18-2004, 06:09 PM
joshbrittain

According to the Apex'i site, the SAFC does display boost and allows you to adjust the fuel curve to tailor the A/F ratio. Am I misunderstanding something? What are the benefits of the AEM wideband vs a regular A/F gauge like the greddy?
Old 04-18-2004, 06:22 PM
etx

The SAFC is a very over rated product. It does the same thing the greddy e-manage does, modifys the maf signal to the ecu. It's a terrible way to tune your car, it's a hack. Buy the AEM wideband so you can tune the car properly.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:08 PM
was wesman

Originally posted by etx
The SAFC is a very over rated product. It does the same thing the greddy e-manage does, modifys the maf signal to the ecu. It's a terrible way to tune your car, it's a hack. Buy the AEM wideband so you can tune the car properly.
Hmm....

the two products do entirely different things. While the SAFC does allow you to fine tune af etc, it doesn't display it for you. You will need to be on a dyno,wideband etc. to be able to tune with it. The AEM on the other hand displays the AF but has no way of making adjustments, it's can data log, display the info (depending on which one you get).

If anything you would need them both....the AEM to display/monitor AF, the SAFC to tune it with those readings.

--wes
Old 04-20-2004, 09:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

was wesman has it right.....

The Apexi is not a hack, much in the same way an E Manage is not a hack - its far more user friendly than the E Manage for MOST people, though the E Manage is a far more capable unit.

Both can best be deemed as total self destruction boxes if being "tuned" by someone not familar with how either unit works, and how it does what it does.......

Best bet (I sound redundant now), is to speak with your intended tuner, and see what he is used to using.

Adam
Old 04-20-2004, 09:06 AM
joshbrittain

Thanks for all the info, apparently I was getting some bad advice from one of the guys at a local shop. Ive just decided to go with Greddy boost and A/F gauges. Maybe later I'll try to tune it myself and get the SAFC.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:37 PM
dollar99

the only reason I installed a s-afcII is to detect knock and also to save 2 preset fuel maps. One for 93 octane, or for race fuel. You can change from the two maps with a click of a button.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by etx
How do you tune the car with the AEM wideband?? Its a monitor, not a controller.