Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Aps Tt System Msrp

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 04:40 PM
APS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by etx
How much for just the exhaust?
Mate as of now there has been no decision to distribute the cat back exhaust system only in the states, we need to wait and see if there is customer demand for the cat back system from the states before APS makes a decision.

As a mater of interest what prices do high quality 304 stainless steel polished cat back systems sell for in the states ( MSRP and street price) and is there high demand for this type of product?

Peter

APS
Old 04-21-2004, 04:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by APS
Mate as of now there has been no decision to distribute the cat back exhaust system only in the states, we need to wait and see if there is customer demand for the cat back system from the states before APS makes a decision.

As a mater of interest what prices do high quality 304 stainless steel polished cat back systems sell for in the states ( MSRP and street price) and is there high demand for this type of product?

Peter

APS
Dude i'd love to tell you like $100 so we could get it for that.. But they actually go for $600-$900 here.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:13 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by MR-LIGHTWEIGHT
Dear Peter,

Which Garret turbos are in the TT kit? At how many psi of boost did you reach 435hp? Was this on an engine dyno? What is the power figure on dyno (both hp and kw)? I've checked your website but couldn't see any pics of the kit. When can we see some pics (installed and not installed)?

In terms of feedback, i think it's great that you are releasing a kit. I, personally would not hesitate to buy an APS product as i'm aware of your good reputation and got to use few of your products in the past. However Greddy and PE kit still sounds more appealing especially if power (approx 400hp at the wheels at 8psi vs. 435hp at the engine) is the main determinant.

Cheers,
Al
MR LIGHTWEIGHT, we have tested three of the latest DBB GARRETT turbochargers on the 350Z and APS engineers will make a final decision on the turbo spec within the next 10 days.

We have been thoroughly testing the turbochargers performance on engine dyno and in real road conditions to find the best possible match for the Z engine (obviously this takes an enormous amount of time) and this development work should yeild the best possible result in terms of useable torque and high power at sensible pressure ratio's.

We will release total power and torque curves/graphs and turbo pressure information when we are closer to product release date and yes the measurements are engine dyno results.

From what I am told by tuners in the states the dyno figures from dyno jet dyno's (can read up to 50 hp higher than a dyno dynamics dyno) so dont be too concerned about this.

Bottom line is there are so many brands of chassis dyno's in the states and Australia which read differently it's very easy to get confused, this is why APS will provide accurate engine power figures.

Ultimately what time/mph the car runs at the strip is what it's all about.

Peter

APS
Old 04-21-2004, 05:59 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by 350Zteve

What are the details on the exhaust? Single or dual? Pipe diameter?

Thanks
The APS cat back system is a twin 2.5'' stainless steel (304) with dual rear outlets complete with stainless steel mounting brackets and flanges.

Peter

APS
Old 04-21-2004, 06:23 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by VR3
Everything sounds great so far. I just have some questions,

- Which Garret turbos
- ?cc injectors
- pics
- rwhp & rwtorq @ psi

Thanks!
The turbochargers are from Garrett Japan though I cant give you final turbo spec's at the moment until APS engineers make a final decision (I can say that the smallest DBB Garrett turbo chargers we have tested will support approx 600 to 650 Hp at 16 to 18 PSI pressure).

Of course you would need good engine internals, billet conrods and lower comp forged pistons to seriously chase this level of power.

The fuel injectors from memory are approx 450cc at 3 bar (45 psi ) pressure and should be sufficient to run higher than our intended power level which is 435 HP (flywheel).

The APS website will have lots of pics and information well before the product release so please be patient in the interim period, it will be worth the wait, I promise.

What chassis dyno's do you guys normally utilise for testing?

I think it would be best to post dyno graphs after we have tested the power on typical American chasis dyno, this way the information will be as close to being 100% accurate and you can then make meaningful comparisons against other products and cars in the US. Thanks for your interest and questions.

Peter

APS
Old 04-21-2004, 06:40 PM
ZxRage

Will you offer optional size injectors with the kit? Say in the 500-750cc range? Is the piggy back ecu capable of handling a MAP signal if someone replaced the stock MAF sensor? Can the ecu do any data logging, if so how many parameters can it log?

What size are the exhaust tips that come with the kit? Are they polished tips?

Will this kit be able to handle high boost up to 30psi?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:40 PM
SQUILL

Will your system be a direct bolt on without pulling the motor and do you have an idea as to how many hours the install would take a good shop to do?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by apsilon
Firstly Mr Rizk are those prices you've listed in AUD$. If so a few of them could be off by a fair bit. Depending on brands/models the ECU could be two or three times as much, injectors could be $300ea for some brands etc.
Going on from previous prices that I have paid for previous cars.

The ECU probally APS will use is a rebadged UNICHIP which is why I quoted AU$1200 even though the www states "APS custom mapped Plug-In engine management computer for optimum engine tune/power"

I do not believe they will use a full replacement ECU if they are going for CARB. For my WRX I paid AU$220ea for 440cc injectors from memory. A bosch 500 HP fuel pump is only around AU$500. A HKS Super Seq. is about AU$600

So I think where I screwed up is in the pricing for the FMIC which should be around AU$2400 and the air cooled pan pricing.

The turbos are a big ? mark as pricing is usually all over the place. Anywhere from AU$1800 to AU$3300 etc

Otherwise I hope APS will keep up their reputation with the Z and provide an excellent all round product. Time will tell.

Goold luck APS
Old 04-21-2004, 07:42 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by ZxRage
Will you offer optional size injectors with the kit? Say in the 500-750cc range? Is the piggy back ecu capable of handling a MAP signal if someone replaced the stock MAF sensor? Can the ecu do any data logging, if so how many parameters can it log?

What size are the exhaust tips that come with the kit? Are they polished tips?

Will this kit be able to handle high boost up to 30psi?

Thanks.

Mate how much power are you wanting to achieve with that size of injector?

The computer would be capable of running with a MAP sensor therefore you could remove the MAF if you were really serious, though to date we have not gone down this path.

We dont have any data logging capability as of now though this may change in the future. Data logging can be performed with a decent OBD scan tool if you want to persue this information.

The exhaust tips and the full system are polished SS and are of a very similar design and size to factory item.

The turbochargers will handle 30 psi (i am sure) though I dont know if everthing else between the license plates will.

Peter

APS
Old 04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by SQUILL
Will your system be a direct bolt on without pulling the motor and do you have an idea as to how many hours the install would take a good shop to do?
Good question, the time for the conversion will depend on how experienced the dealer is with the product.

I'd estimate that the first TT conversion would take the dealer approx 30 hours to do a really neat installation and engine tuning, though the 2nd install would obviously be quicker after you know your way around the engine bay and are more familar with the TT system.

The system is a direct bolt on, no need to remove the engine though it could be done this way if you prefer.

Peter

APS
Old 04-21-2004, 08:41 PM
MR-LIGHTWEIGHT

I don't mean to hijack this thread but i'm just curious why APS, Greddy and PE all use turbos that support around 600+hp. As most us intend to keep the cars as 400-450hp everyday cars with reasonable reliablility, wouldn't it be better to build a kit with smaller more responsive turbos? As the turbos used with these kits are bigger wouldn't they be working below their efficiency range?
Old 04-21-2004, 10:01 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by MR-LIGHTWEIGHT
I don't mean to hijack this thread but i'm just curious why APS, Greddy and PE all use turbos that support around 600+hp. As most us intend to keep the cars as 400-450hp everyday cars with reasonable reliablility, wouldn't it be better to build a kit with smaller more responsive turbos? As the turbos used with these kits are bigger wouldn't they be working below their efficiency range?

Mate the reality is that many owners will want to build an engine down the path and then generate a higher power level, so the turbochargers are matched to make the 400 to 450hp at Approx 6 to 8 psi turbo pressure.

When utilising Garrett dual ball bearing turbochargers it's practical to run larger than the required turbo's without hurting the turbo response (spool up).

It makes sense to package the TT system with turbochargers which offer higher power potential so customers who want higher power in the future dont have to purchase new turbo's.

When you look at the compressor maps these turbochargers are well within Garretts efficiency range between 6 to 18 psi.

Peter

APS
Old 04-21-2004, 10:27 PM
350z4steve

Peter

If your going for CARB certifcation in cali how long does this process take before you know if you have made the certification from start to finish? Also doesnt the inclusion of a BOV hurt rather then help getting this certification?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:21 AM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by 350z4steve
Peter

If your going for CARB certifcation in cali how long does this process take before you know if you have made the certification from start to finish? Also doesnt the inclusion of a BOV hurt rather then help getting this certification?
Good question. One of our engineers is currently in the states and I should know the time frame when he returns to Australia next week.

I would estimate approx 4 to 6 months from the start date if all goes smoothly and we pass the test on the first attempt.

The BOV should not hurt the emisions, unless the test procedure has altered since the last time we applied for a CARB eo, and maybe that is the case.

I need to have a thorough read of the current emission regulations to see how difficult the test will be.

Peter

APS
Old 04-22-2004, 07:04 AM
350z4steve

Originally posted by APS
Good question. One of our engineers is currently in the states and I should know the time frame when he returns to Australia next week.

I would estimate approx 4 to 6 months from the start date if all goes smoothly and we pass the test on the first attempt.

The BOV should not hurt the emisions, unless the test procedure has altered since the last time we applied for a CARB eo, and maybe that is the case.

I need to have a thorough read of the current emission regulations to see how difficult the test will be.

Peter

APS
I would just hate to see that as a setback for your systems getting CARB status. Hopefully it wont.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:34 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by 350z4steve
I would just hate to see that as a setback for your systems getting CARB status. Hopefully it wont.
Hey thanks a lot, I do of course really apprecaite your input and comment, thats what a good forum is a all about sharing good information and ideas. I will investigate the BOV issue thoroughly before we proceed with CARB process.

Peter

APS
Old 04-22-2004, 02:38 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by etx
So it requires an external cam or crank posistion sensor?
No the engine management does not require any additional cam or crank sensors, as we utilise the factory sensors, why reinvent the wheel when there's no need.

Peter

APS
Old 04-22-2004, 02:43 PM
SQUILL

hey APS it looks like you are running the system through the stock factory cats which seems to a huge power robbing factor in any of the F/I systems ive seen out there.
Have you done any testing on your system with hi flow cats and/or test pipes yet???
Old 04-22-2004, 04:16 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by SQUILL
hey APS it looks like you are running the system through the stock factory cats which seems to a huge power robbing factor in any of the F/I systems ive seen out there.
Have you done any testing on your system with hi flow cats and/or test pipes yet???
SQUILL, You are dead right all of our dyno testing has been conducted in conjunction with the stock factory cats (I am too scared to remove the stock cats in Australia there is a $10K fine if you're caught by the law) and I am sure there would be a huge gain in grunt if we were to remove the stock cats.

Will have to try this down the path (removed cats) luckily though we do have zero exhaust back pressure after the cats so this does help overall.

Peter

APS
Old 04-22-2004, 05:01 PM
SQUILL

Thanks peter do you think your system will benifit from hiflowcats/test pipes in conjunction with the exaust system you have designed?

Also would that entail custom tunning if one was to leave the boost set at the 7.3 psi from the factory (ie just bolting in some test pipes/hf cats and nothing more) or would exaust mods not really affect your em system?

Quick Reply: Aps Tt System Msrp