Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Who has run the fastest 1/4 mile on FI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 AM
baptist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has run the fastest 1/4 mile on FI?

Just curious to see what the current record is for 1/4 mile in a FI 350z?
Old 05-26-2004, 11:53 AM
zimbo

I don't know what the "record" is, but there has been at least one sub-12-second nitrous run documented on this forum. 12SecZ has run low 12s with his ATI kit @ 10psi as did Daking350. A number of guys with TTs at 8.5 psi or so have run low 12s as well.

--Steve
Old 05-27-2004, 07:06 AM
j's350z

JUllian(Daking) has run a 12.4 on DR's in his procharged Z.... Now we will be testing the new clutch and the slicks!!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Carlitos

I have two friends with auto 350z runing 12.0@116mph.
One of them (Chiki's white 350zTT automatic) blew his engine already and the other (Julio,s white auto 350Z ATI+75NOS) is still running 12.1@116 on stock internals.
We belive that the stock rod's limit is 450+-rwhp. I'm keeping mine safe at 403rwhp with a 150shot of n2o. My best effort 12.4@115.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:34 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Carlitos
One of them (Chiki's white 350zTT automatic) blew his engine already and the other (Julio,s white auto 350Z ATI+75NOS) is still running 12.1@116 on stock internals.
We belive that the stock rod's limit is 450+-rwhp. I'm keeping mine safe at 403rwhp with a 150shot of n2o. My best effort 12.4@115.
You guys down in PR need to get on it harder then! You can obviously drive, bring home the 11's.

Your ideas about the 450WHP is something I heard the GReddy guys considered when they developed their kit as well. I would agree with you.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:27 AM
whosdady

Default Nice Times!

Hopefully your friend is using something to adjust the timing with the ATI kit? Otherwise he may have engine problems like the TT.

I predict 2 other procharged 5AT's in the high 11's/12.1 range within the next month
Old 05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Carlitos

Default Re: Nice Times!

Originally posted by whosdady
Hopefully your friend is using something to adjust the timing with the ATI kit? Otherwise he may have engine problems like the TT.

actually, no.
He is only using two step colder plugs and race fuel when on n2o.

BTW the TT had no problems with ignition, it was a rod that gave up and ruined the motor completely. It happened when he upgraded his torque converter to get off the line on boost.
When your problem is ign or fuel you see the result on your pistons, when your rods give up, you just have too much power for the stock internals. Keep it around 430rwhp and you'll be fine as long as you have good A/R.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:04 PM
SQUILL

Default Re: Re: Nice Times!

actually, no.

BTW the TT had no problems with ignition, it was a rod that gave up and ruined the motor completely. It happened when he upgraded his torque converter to get off the line on boost.
When your problem is ign or fuel you see the result on your pistons, when your rods give up, you just have too much power for the stock internals. Keep it around 430rwhp and you'll be fine as long as you have good A/R.
Wow !!! great info to know its the first F/I motor to go that ive heard of due to the weakness of the internalls alone. every other i ve heard of was poor tuning/detonation/pre ignition

DID he blow the motor on the line torque loading?? or did it blow going down the track???
Old 05-28-2004, 04:25 PM
whosdady

Great, and I just put a torque converter on my car Although I should be below 430rwhp even with recent updates. I will be dynoing next week.

Max, I hope you are reading this thread.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:14 PM
little_rod

Default Re: Re: Nice Times!

actually, no.

I find it interesting that the TT had engine failure with the rod going out, while the other guy is running the ATI AND NOS and he is still running strong. Do you know the boost levels of each car??

Having max boost from 3K-6.6K can cause more stress on the internals, especially if you up the boost on a TT.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Carlitos

Default Re: Re: Re: Nice Times!

DID he blow the motor on the line torque loading?? or did it blow going down the track???
the engine gave up at the 1/8 mark, that's what Chiki (the owner) told me. Now he is building a new motor with Carrillo rods and forged pistons it should be ready by mid June.

I'm also upgrading my G with Pauter rods next month, I dont want to be the next victim. (I've been on n2o since Sept 03)

BTW Julio (350Z ATI+NOS) is going back to the track next week looking to be the first 350Z in PR to hit the 11sec mark, I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:48 PM
SQUILL

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice Times!

the engine gave up at the 1/8 mark, that's what Chiki (the owner) told me. Now he is building a new motor with Carrillo rods and forged pistons it should be ready by mid June.

I'm also upgrading my G with Pauter rods next month, I dont want to be the next victim. (I've been on n2o since Sept 03)

BTW Julio (350Z ATI+NOS) is going back to the track next week looking to be the first 350Z in PR to hit the 11sec mark, I'll keep you guys posted.
WoW!!! did the block survive?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Carlitos

Default Re: Re: Re: Nice Times!

Originally posted by little_rod
I find it interesting that the TT had engine failure with the rod going out, while the other guy is running the ATI AND NOS and he is still running strong. Do you know the boost levels of each car??

Having max boost from 3K-6.6K can cause more stress on the internals, especially if you up the boost on a TT.
OK this is going to be hard to belive but the owner of the TT (Chiki) claims to be at only 8psi. (I'm just repeating what he told me)
Julio (ATI+NOS) has an 11psi pulley. I raced him on the street from a 30mph rolling start not to long ago and he pulled one and a half cars from me up to 120mph.
Julio's Z put 375rwhp w/o nos on the dyno and he claims like another 50rwhp with NOS thats close to 430rwhp. I only have 403rwhp and got my @ss kick by him
Old 05-28-2004, 08:04 PM
little_rod

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice Times!

OK this is going to be hard to belive but the owner of the TT (Chiki) claims to be at only 8psi. (I'm just repeating what he told me)
Julio (ATI+NOS) has an 11psi pulley. I raced him on the street from a 30mph rolling start not to long ago and he pulled one and a half cars from me up to 120mph.
Julio's Z put 375rwhp w/o nos on the dyno and he claims like another 50rwhp with NOS thats close to 430rwhp. I only have 403rwhp and got my @ss kick by him
What rwhp rating did he have for the TT?? Of course, people will dispute that, as there are people here running 8psi with no problems so far. Timing adjustment could make a difference, but that would affect more of the pistons than rods.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Carlitos

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice Times!

Originally posted by SQUILL
WoW!!! did the block survive?
NO, NADA!

He x the 1/8 at over 90mph on an automatic, by the time he step off the gas two rod were gone(split in half) damaging the crank, block, and heads. He is starting with a new motor and the only thing his recycling are the racing cams (the only thing that survived)
His tuner (a guy called Tony and a well known Supra tuner in PR) told me that Chiki's TT was real close or at the 450rwhp mark.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:52 PM
little_rod

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice Times!

NO, NADA!

He x the 1/8 at over 90mph on an automatic, by the time he step off the gas two rod were gone(split in half) damaging the crank, block, and heads. He is starting with a new motor and the only thing his recycling are the racing cams (the only thing that survived)
His tuner (a guy called Tony and a well known Supra tuner in PR) told me that Chiki's TT was real close or at the 450rwhp mark.
Interesting, that is on the high side of rwhp for a TT at 8psi, but it is possible given these dynos that have been posted:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=greddy+dyno

The rods gave way damaging the crack, block, and heads. He had racing cams, which probably contributed to the higher rwhp for 8psi. Makes you wonder, what is the weak link after the rods and at what point those things break.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Carlitos

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice Times!

Originally posted by little_rod
Interesting, that is on the high side of rwhp for a TT at 8psi, but it is possible given these dynos that have been posted:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=greddy+dyno

The rods gave way damaging the crack, block, and heads. He had racing cams, which probably contributed to the higher rwhp for 8psi. Makes you wonder, what is the weak link after the rods and at what point those things break.
Guys keep in mind that no one knows the real boost level. The owner words were 8psi, I'm not saying that is the truth or not.
Many of our friends back in PR belive that they were running more than 8psi on the Z. Only Chiki and his tuner Tony know the real boost. I say this because the car had been running 8psi for over a month with more than 3 visits to the track without any problems other than hitting the rev limit on drive and Technosquare took care of that problem. After that came the new converter and the next visit to the track, BOOM!!!
Old 05-29-2004, 09:17 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't tell Technosquare you're running a convertor... you can have BIG issues.

Our ECU maps are entirely load based... thus the fuel & timing MAP is designed for a car with a stock load.

Flywheels, etc... will not effect it that much. However I am very curious to see what the ECU is doing with the Tilton setup, might be running the car too rich. Impossible to say.

However I HAVE seen an auto procharged car not running right after putting the TC in, however once the flash was updated... it was fine.

I'm curious if perhaps this was his problem... ECU did not detect much of a load... and leaned out.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:59 PM
SQUILL

interesting alot of the AT 350's have the TS reflash to raise the revlimiter for FI to avoid bouncing of the rev limiter in normal AT mode.

I wonder with the increased rpm his car was turning with the boost if this was the straw that broke the camels back.

OF course the camels back would be these wimpy rods of ours.

Carlitos im assuming the motor has been torn apart by what you have been posting. The pistons showed no signs of lean conditions right?? It was just pure rod failure due to the stress exceeding their limit?

I wonder what rpm the motor blew at do you know? was it at a shift perhaps?

It wouldnt suprise me if the extra rpms may have added enough extra stress on the rods to break them . It seems 8 psi is considered "safe" as far as we all seem to know however when combined with 600 extra rpms who knows.

This is of course assuming he was at 8psi but if hes dynoing close to 450 whp it was probably 10 psi or so!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:24 PM
black350

i know this is a bit late, BUT ima say it anyways... AUTO POWER!!! haha, i never knew the auto could to so well (12 seconds isn't to shabby lol), i cant wait to hear about the new engine and how it performs!!

Quick Reply: Who has run the fastest 1/4 mile on FI?