Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VORTECH BOV riddle solved

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:45 PM
esemes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VORTECH BOV riddle solved

success

after several days of trial and error (mostly error), i have discovered the answer to the riddle behind the vortech BOV shrilling/shreiking phenomenia......

its simple really.......

heres the BOV my kit came with........ (and YES, it was installed and hooked up correctly-as spec'd)
Attached Thumbnails VORTECH BOV riddle solved-bov1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004, 03:48 PM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: VORTECH BOV riddle solved

Originally posted by esemes
success

after several days of trial and error (mostly error), i have discovered the answer to the riddle behind the vortech BOV shrilling/shreiking phenomenia......

its simple really.......

heres the BOV my kit came with........ (and YES, it was installed and hooked up correctly-as spec'd)
Waht am I missing...is it that obvious?
Old 05-27-2004, 03:56 PM
esemes

it WAS brand new in appearance, and DID have the warning sticker over the piston still....

the warning was to NOT depress the piston/plunger by had, as it would 'invert' the internal diaphram, causing it to not seal correctly.... (i read this and as a result never tried the actuation of the piston by hand)

hooked it up, and it shreiked at idle.....

kinda whistled, but VERY VERY loud.....

everyone in the dealership could hear it.... and i could see their faces turn to disgust, as did mine, when this didnt give in at all....

SO we adjusted the stopnut..... One phonecall to Vortech yeilded the reply "dont mess with it"...... A call from my dealership yeilded "take it to 1/8" showing above the jam-nut".....

we used the second instructions, as i was desperate for a fix....

this positioning of the valve elliminated the whistle, for sure.....

BUT

caused a fluttering (not a BOV fluttering, but a fluttering in the compressor - i think)..... i had thoughts of bearings and seals getting blown apart..... on my 13 mile old install....

SO back in goes the car.......

I source a new BOV (albeit it vortech, with the smae p/n) from a speedshop (much love to Automotive Engineering of Largo) and bring it to the shop, fingers crossed......

i intentionally got it in red, becuse i am superstitous (and kinda liked it red, i guess)

we plugged her in, and VIOLA....

no shrill, no flutter....... JUST kewpushhhh.....

alot of kewpushhhhh

beautiful kewpushhhhhhhh

riddle solved

(i added a homemade filter, as the oem one wont clear the stab. bar, and now the BOV makes ZERO output sound unless you are dumping boost)

thanks to the members here and g35driver that helped me with this...... i have yet to hear of anyone else solving this dilema

oh yeah, also.......... Vortech is reimbursing me 100% for the second valve...

sweet success.........

heres the BOV2 (nevermind the sanford filter....... i am on the hunt for a better one, but not in a rush)
Attached Thumbnails VORTECH BOV riddle solved-bov2fltr2.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004, 04:17 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of material is that you have on it ? Cant tell
Old 05-27-2004, 04:22 PM
esemes

Originally posted by booger
What type of material is that you have on it ? Cant tell
a pliable wire mesh...... with a liner of airfilter-cotton.....
Old 05-27-2004, 04:58 PM
freezeg35

I dont get it. What your saying is the 1st bov was faulty, or you played around with it before install and screwed it up.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:32 PM
esemes

Originally posted by esemes
(i read this and as a result never tried the actuation of the piston by hand)

i am not saying that anyone DID depress the piston, but i am 100% sure i did not........

its an easy thing to do (out of curosity) and i was told that the tech (who did my install) also saw the warning, and didnt push it either.....

so there was NO way to fix a whistling BOV... it had to be replaced....... (notice the red BOV in the second upload)

vortech made good on it, and should for anyone else with this faulty component

sorry for the rambling, i am just excited and relieved that there's a solution to this (i have combed this forum all over for a solution to this, with no luck)
Old 05-27-2004, 09:28 PM
freezeg35

I see, good info to have as i have the kit sitting in my basement for another week before install. Ive already picked it apart and played with a few things. Good thing it wasnt the bov.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Demonteverde

Glad to hear you got the BOV problem taken care of. Did Tim (timrod1011) ever get the chance to call you and help you out?

You were talking about vortech recommending a type of bypass valve instead of the BOV that came with the kit. What would have been the outcome if you had installed that instead?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really odd. Out of curiosity, everyone that has ever picked up a BOV or wastegate will start jamming their fingers up in there and start messing with the seat. It's like people use it as a grip strengthening device. I have never hear of a BOV or wastegate being damaged by this action....i guess there is a first for everything, or maybe the Vortech BOV is designed different. Unlikely, since BOV's ultra simple devices.

Also, es, why do you even bother with a filter? Air should be getting sucked in there under vaccum unless your valve is too loose, or your vaccum line gets disconnected.

One other question.....do you connect anything to the lower vaccum nipple, or leave it vacant? i cant tell...is there a cap on that lower nipple? I've always wondered what that lower nipple is for, since mine is not connected to anything on my Greddy Type-S. I only have the main top vaccum line connected.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:48 AM
baptist

I'm pretty sure the second nipple is to maintain a DP with the atmosphere to aid in closing the valve.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:07 AM
esemes

Originally posted by Demonteverde
Glad to hear you got the BOV problem taken care of. Did Tim (timrod1011) ever get the chance to call you and help you out?

You were talking about vortech recommending a type of bypass valve instead of the BOV that came with the kit. What would have been the outcome if you had installed that instead?
ian-

i talked to Tim several times.. thanks for the connex.... seeems i have found a FI alli as well... maybe i can attend some "z" events too....

the bypass valve, while much much quieter, comes at a sacrifice of performance [per votech], and also has future limitations with performance [again, per vortech]

Also, es, why do you even bother with a filter? Air should be getting sucked in there under vaccum unless your valve is too loose, or your vaccum line gets disconnected.
gq- the filter does the opposite of what you thuink..... it is designed to filter the outlet of air instead..... and by 'filter", i mean more like 'alter'...... (quiets the 2000-rpms & under venting sounds, that are characteristic of the vortech unit......)

that little extra connection is a mystery to me too... it has some hard 'copperlilke' filter on it..... (no idea, im afraid) yuour GREDDY BOV seems to fit perfectly on the vortech too (had both in my hands, and was tempted to try tyhe Greddy unit...... (type s i think).... i still might! (does the greddy unit vent at lower rpms?? (guess it hasto)

esemes
Old 05-28-2004, 03:24 AM
esemes

here's the info, per vortech themselves......

Old 05-28-2004, 04:40 PM
freezeg35

so is it safe to say that everyone with the vortech kit that had a wheezey whistling bov at idle and deceleration had a faulty unit?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:45 PM
esemes

Originally posted by freezeg35
so is it safe to say that everyone with the vortech kit that had a wheezey whistling bov at idle and deceleration had a faulty unit?
not wheezy, but the loud, prominant whistle, that is downright embarassing.....

it seems vortech IS aware of this (due to their additional warning labels and messages on the instructions regarding the plunger and valve seal issue)......

i have a brand new one here now; came from vortech today.....

ima return it (or try to) locally, unless someone wants it....

i can ship it quick, but must get full retail for it (what i paid for the other unit that is)

its the red hat w/ polished flute (still has wrapping and warning sticker affixed)
Old 05-28-2004, 05:40 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone tried to open up the BOV to possibly fix the problem themselves? I have a customers car running around with the BOV having these issues... I am supposed to try and figure something out with that thing... thinking of opening it up and seeing if I can figure out the problem on the inside.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:02 PM
esemes

Originally posted by phunk
has anyone tried to open up the BOV to possibly fix the problem themselves? I have a customers car running around with the BOV having these issues... I am supposed to try and figure something out with that thing... thinking of opening it up and seeing if I can figure out the problem on the inside.

im imagining you might need a minor rebuild kit of sorts......

of course, V wants em back to fix themselves....

isnt it odd how SO many have this occurance??
Old 05-28-2004, 07:19 PM
zimbo

As I said in another thread (or earlier in this thread--too lazy to check), I had one of the very first Vortech installs way back at the first of December and my BOV had the same problem. My installer replaced a nut or something and the problem went away. I wish I knew exactly what they did--I had them keep the car for a week to make sure everything was fine and they had gotten so tired of the noise that they fixed it themselves before I came to get the car.

--Steve