Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Two months of forum lurking...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 07:20 PM
thadon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two months of forum lurking...

and I still feel lost in the cold hard streets of FI. Greddy? Vortech? Wait for the APS or JWT system? Wait what about the AEBS stroker kit??...

Well lets take a look the deciding factors.
-401 RWHP (funny number eh?)
-Stability (Daily driven and occasional the trip to Orlando apox.190 miles)
-Ability to upgrade later down the road
-Cost of maintenance
-Resale value
-Safety

After 3 months of Roman noddles and tuna fish I have saved 8 grand. 400+ rwhp for 8k a pipe dream? According to the places I have contacted it is. Two local shops here in Jacksonville quoted me 12k. Granted thats not just the kit out of the box but still from what Ive read on here I should find a lower price. I have contacted a creditable vendor/installer from this forum. Very cool guy and very knowledgeable.

Here is the setup I had him quote me on. I did not ask His for permission to post this so I am going to leave the shops name anonymous.

-Greddy TT/FMIC
-step 3 NGKs plugs
-Turbonetic wastegate gaskets to replace greddy's paper ones (When GQ posts I listen)
-A/F ratio gauge (still up in the air of type and setup, I want an AEM and tap it into a Profec-E01 for a wider display..again learned from a GQ post)
-Greddy Turbo timer
-HKS Super Seq BOV
-PRofec-e01
-His shops cat-back exhaust system
-XERD Test Pipes
-Fluids/misc.gaskets and bolts
-Tuned E-Mange and Car

Quote was for 10,400.00 which I think is a great price considering the other shops I inquired where more expensive and I got less. The problem is his shop is over 1000 miles away and I do not have 10k at the moment.

Sorry for rambling I am just frustrated and was hoping some one could give me some other possible options besides waiting longer ........
Old 06-10-2004, 07:27 PM
thadon

oh and the boost guage DEFI's white mech. 52MM
Old 06-10-2004, 07:32 PM
ChuckGZ

hey, thadon, PM me with the shop name, if you don't mind. promise it's our secret. i've been lurking too, though. i've been thinking i'll either get my work done at evolution, up here in VA, or Titan down there (got family in orlando, go there on vacation a lot). just haven't found anyone else i trust yet.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:28 PM
bobowah

for you folks who are skeptical about the Turboes you should get a Vortech Supercharger.

It's definitely less hassle to deal with and gives you linear hp...

Turbo are great for showing off and if you drag your car...

Either way...most of the vendors here have great prices on kits...
Old 06-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Phatmitzu

Vortech kit+ 3.14 pulley + Headers + cat/test pipes + Y-pipe + exhaust. That should give you 400+ whp. And yes, it cost less than 8k...with installation!

Old 06-11-2004, 09:22 AM
thadon

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Vortech kit+ 3.14 pulley + Headers + cat/test pipes + Y-pipe + exhaust. That should give you 400+ whp. And yes, it cost less than 8k...with installation!

I'll look into it!!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Houston G35

I just got my G back yesterday. Vortech install, Borla Exhaust, and 2 hours of dyno tuning. All this for right about 8K.

Grubbs did the work and I got 386.5 rwhp. I am quite happy with the setup. I will post more later. I am still in Dallas and will be back to Houston tonight.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:38 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what shop do you plan on getting work done in jax?
Old 06-11-2004, 02:50 PM
thadon

PoWeRtRiP, I went to Stage 6(located near blanding). When I walked in the shop one of he mechs was on the phone with a customer. The customer asked for a quote on some kind of gasket or what not. Mech told him to hold on and he asked the shop owner (Joey) for a price. Joey told him 30. Mech turns around and tells the customer 75. So off the bat I knew the place was shady. They quoted me 12k on a custom install. He told me the greddy kit is an 8 hour job. So either he is a super mech or a bone head. He also told me that greddy also says that the kit cant be installed for under 10k (he actually said that) which I know is a load of bull. Very sleazy place. I also tried another tuner shop off of southside blvd. Import trends or some thing similar to that name. The do not do FI on the Z. So I'm kind of up the creek right now with local installers.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thadon....that is a great price for the parts and installation you've listed.

If you have a set peak HP in mind of 400rwp, then the SC is a more cost effective solution. As stated many times before, the power curve of the SC will look very different from the TT. Keep this in mind as you make your decision. The TT will have more area under the curve.

At the end of the day, the SC kit is exactly $2000 less expensive than the Greddy TT...all things being equal. So it's really a matter of your budget, and your objectives. Good Luck!