Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

best superchager

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:49 AM
whosdady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go with the 255 or 190. (Max has the 190 and loves it) It doesn't really matter unless you decide later that you want more fuel. You are getting closer to a point where you will need to make a couple decisions...IE injectors, pump, regulator, ECU flash. If you feel comfortable with the external pump and SS box then I would not change anything yet. However, in the near future you will need to start thinking about the injectors and how long they will last at that psi with the external pump and or walbro pump. All it takes is one injector to go out and then you have some issues. This was the main reason I got rid of my external pump and dfmu (that came with the ati kit). Most guys believe that since the stock injectors are roughly equated to 330cc (there is a debate about this) that if you push them they may fail early, assuming they work in the first place. Personally, I think you will be fine for a while but I would start planning my next set of upgrades within 6 months.

I think I mentioned earlier that my car needed a new 255 pump and fpr for it to run under 13 A/F at 8 PSI at 7200rpm. (380rwhp 345rwtq) And that was with PE 380cc injectors and an ecu flash.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:06 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by whosdady
You can go with the 255 or 190. (Max has the 190 and loves it) It doesn't really matter unless you decide later that you want more fuel. You are getting closer to a point where you will need to make a couple decisions...IE injectors, pump, regulator, ECU flash. If you feel comfortable with the external pump and SS box then I would not change anything yet. However, in the near future you will need to start thinking about the injectors and how long they will last at that psi with the external pump and or walbro pump. All it takes is one injector to go out and then you have some issues. This was the main reason I got rid of my external pump and dfmu (that came with the ati kit). Most guys believe that since the stock injectors are roughly equated to 330cc (there is a debate about this) that if you push them they may fail early, assuming they work in the first place. Personally, I think you will be fine for a while but I would start planning my next set of upgrades within 6 months.

I think I mentioned earlier that my car needed a new 255 pump and fpr for it to run under 13 A/F at 8 PSI at 7200rpm. (380rwhp 345rwtq) And that was with PE 380cc injectors and an ecu flash.
whosdady....you were correct about the lose of boost with headers and exhaust with this car. After talking to esemes..Ive adjusted my BOV......it had over 9 threads showing on the adjustment bolt...I took it down to 6 threads showing .....and whooooooopy...I now have full boost....I havent retuned for the 9bl pulley yet...but took it close to redline and had 8.5lbs of boost and Im sure it will be 9lb's or better at redline and the car pulls much harder down low now, so Im getting into boost like I should be
Old 06-24-2004, 06:20 PM
whosdady

Originally posted by booger
whosdady....you were correct about the lose of boost with headers and exhaust with this car. After talking to esemes..Ive adjusted my BOV......it had over 9 threads showing on the adjustment bolt...I took it down to 6 threads showing .....and whooooooopy...I now have full boost....I havent retuned for the 9bl pulley yet...but took it close to redline and had 8.5lbs of boost and Im sure it will be 9lb's or better at redline and the car pulls much harder down low now, so Im getting into boost like I should be
I'm glad to hear it Booger. I feel pretty confident in saying we can decrease pressure without sacrificing boost in our cars.

IMO... headers, cats, exhaust and a plenum are a must for us S/C guys if we want to compete with the turbos. Goodluck with the 9lbs pulley. Remember to watch your fuel...
Old 06-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Houston G35

whosdady,

Responding to your question about the warranty on my Vortech with the 9lb pulley, yes the 3 year warranty is from Vortech. Also, the warranty that is now offered for everyone else running the 9lb pulley is 1 year from Vortech.

When you were discussing the impeller speeds of the ATI, where did you get your numbers for the various boost levels? Is there an ATI calculator, like the one on the Vortech website?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:43 PM
jawbone

Default Best supercharger...

Isnt anyone waiting for Dreamworkes anymore? I heard they are offering free checking with every supercharger order....
Old 06-27-2004, 07:37 AM
djs

sorry as this may be off the topic. but i see a lot of talking about stillen, vortech, etc.. what about jwt's tt set up they are working on?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:38 PM
whosdady

Originally posted by Houston G35
whosdady,

Responding to your question about the warranty on my Vortech with the 9lb pulley, yes the 3 year warranty is from Vortech. Also, the warranty that is now offered for everyone else running the 9lb pulley is 1 year from Vortech.

When you were discussing the impeller speeds of the ATI, where did you get your numbers for the various boost levels? Is there an ATI calculator, like the one on the Vortech website?
Thats cool, so you have 3 years with the 9lbs pulley and everyone else gets only 1 year with the 9lbs pulley? Or do you have the 7lbs pulley?

Yes there a couple formulas. They are found on page 61 of the ATI owners manual. (I'm not sure if they are on the website?) I would scan it here if I had a scanner at home but I don't. The easier of the two formulas to type is:
Impeller RPM=(6.5515) X (N1/N2) X (28/22) X engine rpm

N1 is the pulley 1 and N2 is pulley 2. In the stock 7lbs kit, N1 is 38 teeth and N2 is 27 teeth. (Impeller Speed: 60,838) In the 9 lbs kit N1 is 39 and N2 is 26. (Impeller Speed: 64,859) In the 11 lbs kit you can do the math... Use 40 and 25 as N1 and N2. If you have a rasied rev limiter you will need to adjust accordingly. Also remember the boost changes as well.

As you can see, you have plenty of room before you hit the 80,000 redline with the ATI kit... Where is FORCED. I have yet to get an answer on the intercooler once you upgrade trims...
Old 07-03-2004, 04:36 AM
Barzten1

You guys are great. I've learned so much. I'm hoping to buy a Stillen ST2 SC by next week. It doesn't seem to be most popular. What do i have to worry about in the future with my engine w/ a SC? I'm planning on keeping my Z 4-EVA!
Old 07-03-2004, 01:57 PM
NBM99Firehawk

Question for you Procharger guys. I'm too lazy to go through 7 pages of posts but have you thought about just going from the C-2 to a P1 or even a D1SC? More Flow.. Yadda Yadda Yadda
Old 07-03-2004, 06:31 PM
whosdady

No, not unless you are set on rebuilding the engine. (I don't plan on doing that) The C2 will do just for the amount our bottom end can handle. (450RWHP roughly)