Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech kit - what else do I need to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:49 PM
rob575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech kit - what else do I need to buy?

Split Second system, boost gauge, wideband gauge, 1 step colder plugs. What else has everyone had to buy?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:17 PM
TD30

Default Re: Vortech kit - what else do I need to buy?

Originally posted by rob575
Split Second system, boost gauge, wideband gauge, 1 step colder plugs. What else has everyone had to buy?
The Split Second box comes with the kit. I am running with the stock plugs since vortech did not mention they needed to be changed and since it runs so rich anyway.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:12 PM
esemes

Default Re: Vortech kit - what else do I need to buy?

Originally posted by rob575
im assuming you bought the r4 software (to load to a lapper or the like)

YES on the plugs::::

i also added the following::

crawford v5 plenum
nismo LOW TEMP thermo
SAMCO 350Z hosekit

this is where i am now (cept for a earthing kit, etc...)

next week i am installing a full exhaust and Y pipe and h/f crawford cats

then its onto the clutch (once i decipher what i BEST benefit from, without aweful noises...)

MAKE sure to find a tuning shop that knows the SS setup (and the godd@#ed user setting flyout menu default that needs to be addressed EVERY time you re-enter!!!!)

i am using a bov filter, to help muffle the venting noises (can get one thru vortech too).... i also bought one extra gimler belt and serp. belt, JUST in case....

-eS
Old 06-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Phatmitzu

Default Re: Re: Vortech kit - what else do I need to buy?

Originally posted by esemes
im assuming you bought the r4 software (to load to a lapper or the like)...
Can the r4 software datalog A/F to labtops? I am thinking of getting a wideband meter, but debating to get the ones with datalog ability or just a meter.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2004, 07:48 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would help to get headers, test pipes, exh, to increase flow and power.

the wideband and boost gauge are not necessary so long as you get it tuned by a good shop and dont mess around with anything after getting it tuned.

i would think some new tires would be a must with all that extra power

then brakes bc your car now accelerates a lot faster, sure helps to stop faster too.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:25 AM
LaPuLaPu

Depending on your horsepower goals, you might want to consider also upgrading your clutch and/or flywheel. If you do upgrade you clutch, you might as well upgrade the flywheel.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:12 AM
esemes

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
it would help to get headers, test pipes, exh, to increase flow and power.

the wideband and boost gauge are not necessary so long as you get it tuned by a good shop and dont mess around with anything after getting it tuned.

i would think some new tires would be a must with all that extra power

then brakes bc your car now accelerates a lot faster, sure helps to stop faster too.
i say DEFINATELY get the boost (and wideband and fuel pressure) gauges, as these instruments are the only way to determine the correctness of the s/c application.....

i might move my fuel press. gauge to inside the motor compartment (and have the wideband in its place inboardf), but i still believe firmly in these components

i wouldnt run w/ o them ,as they might help you w/ any future problems....
Old 06-17-2004, 01:46 PM
rob575

Regarding the better tire suggestion, I've got S-03's that I need to mount of my iForged Aeros (if they ever make it here - seven weeks later). The whole reason I'm deciding not to wait on the JWT turbo and go with the Vortec is because I know I'm not going to be able to use the power from the turbo system anyway. I won't drag the car more than a couple of times just to see what it can do, so I'm looking for a strictly street application. I didn't see the need to spend the extra $4000+ even though I feel it's a superior system just so I can toast my shoes. I'd rather have less total power that is more usable (based on my intentions).

I'm looking for about 380-400 at the wheels and I've already got the Kinetix plenum & cats, soon to get the Borla exhaust and probably DC headers so I think 400 should be both realistic and bulletproof on the motor side. I know I've gotta change the tranny but I think I'm going to wait a while since a) I only mash it on on-ramps, etc, no racing and b) getting $6K out of the wifey is hard enough as it is...you married w/ chilldren guys know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:07 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Vortech kit - what else do I need to buy?

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Can the r4 software datalog A/F to labtops? I am thinking of getting a wideband meter, but debating to get the ones with datalog ability or just a meter.

Thanks
I started looking into this but I got side-tracked. I believe that aside from the factory inputs it logs you can also log an additional 4 0-5V inputs.