Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

-- Why Would Cams Work with F/I Applications? --

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:51 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. How is the idle on the Nismo cam if you dont mind me asking?
Pretty smooth after bumping the idle up 100rpm over stock. You just barely notice any sort of lope from the cams. It's very tame compared to the Tomei's.

It now comes more clearly to me that although cams would make still a difference. But only will produce more sufficient AFTER most of the intake/exhaust modifications. It certainly will not be the top of my list, but it shall be on the final stages.
I can attest to this. We did Nismo Cams, Borla Headers, Hi-Flo Cats, and Plenum all at one time. In this configuration, I was very disappointed with the power output. I think we hit a best of 260rwhp. For this much work, we had expected more.

We later, swapped the Borla Headers out for the Crawfords and saw very noticeable improvements in low RPM torque and a small improvement in peak HP. But still... not as much power as we had expected for the given mods I had at the time.

Then, we put on the Vortech... and it all came together! It was obvious from the start that the foundation we had built with the other parts was working superbly with the FI application to produce our high numbers. At this point, I'm pretty happy with the way the car feels when driving. I would like to dial in a little more low rpm torque, but otherwise I'm satisfied.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:06 PM
UsafaRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Phatmitzu

More duration means more overlap no?
It could, but it doesn't have to. Intake duration extends the intake valve open period, which occurs after the exhaust valve is open. If the exhaust lobe has more duration, it will increase overlap as it will keep the valve open while the intake lobe is going.