Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Question for experienced Greddy people

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004 | 06:08 AM
ravaz

Default Question for experienced Greddy people

If you installed the kit yourself, then you can probably answer this. Last night we finished up some stuff on the car and went for a quick test drive. I was a little worried about hitting it but figured what the hell, lets see what she reads. I know my boost gauge is accurate, but the damn thing went up to about 10psi, and we got off quickly. Anyone got a clue why it would do this? I don't have a boost controller or anything on the car, and the second time we hit it, it didn't get as high as 10psi, but close enough, so obviously I'm not going to be testing out WOT anymore Anyone got an idea on wtf is going on.
Old 07-01-2004 | 06:27 AM
ravaz

Nevermind, figured it out.
Old 07-01-2004 | 06:48 AM
zimbo

What was the solution? Is there a wastegate gasket or something--or is it an electronically controlled thing?

--Steve
Old 07-01-2004 | 07:00 AM
ravaz

On the top of the wastegate, there is a bolt sticking out. You have to loosen the lock nut and then turn them counter clockwise to reduce boost, then tighten the lock nut back. I'm pretty sure I have them tight so that's what is going on. Loosening the bolt all the way should give you the lowest boost leve, whatever the wastegate spring is. I'll throw her on the lift tonight and fix it.
Old 07-01-2004 | 08:12 AM
etx

eeeh what? On the Tial wastegates that come with the greddy? I don't remember any adjustments.

I could see that happening if you run a boost signal to both the top and bottom ports of the WG. The more pressure that gets to the top port the more boost you will get.
Old 07-01-2004 | 08:50 AM
spazpilot

I think you forgot to add the blue vacum lines to the side of the wastegate, because other then that there is no adjustment. Add vacum/boost to the side nipples and leave the top nipples open to air. this should give you 5.7psi
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:10 AM
ravaz

I didn't forget to add any of the vacuum lines to the wastegates. The top port is open, and the other port has the lines going to them.
Old 07-01-2004 | 10:11 AM
fernandito7

Ravaz, one thing i strongly recommend u doing, if u have not done this yet, is to heat wrap your power steering lines. THey are right next to the passenger side turbo. I did not do this and now my power steering lines are starting to melt. Im dripping power steering fluid. I now have to replace those lines. For some reason, greddy did not supply any info or instructions on doing this when installing the kit. ANyway does any one know if im gonna have to completely remove the whole passenger side turbo setup to replace those power steering lines?
Old 07-01-2004 | 11:47 AM
350Now

Originally posted by fernandito7
Ravaz, one thing i strongly recommend u doing, if u have not done this yet, is to heat wrap your power steering lines. THey are right next to the passenger side turbo. I did not do this and now my power steering lines are starting to melt. Im dripping power steering fluid. I now have to replace those lines. For some reason, greddy did not supply any info or instructions on doing this when installing the kit. ANyway does any one know if im gonna have to completely remove the whole passenger side turbo setup to replace those power steering lines?
I assume this is the hard line to the power steering return line. You can remove those without taking the passenger turbo out.
Old 07-01-2004 | 02:48 PM
fernandito7

Ok that is excellent news. I had someone take a look at it and one of the return lines was completely rubbing against the turbo. It melted a little rupture in it causing the leak. Unfortunately, the guy who looked at bend the line a little so that it wont be rubbing anymore and it cause all the power steering fluid to come out. My steering is hella hard. I guess the bend caused a strong pressure and opened the hole a little more and caused it to throw it a ll out. Anything i can do to temporarily fix this problem? Put some sort of tape or something. They r gonna order a new line but do not know when it will arrive. I wanna be able to drive my car for the weekend. I mean its driveable but the steering is hella hard coming from a stop. ONce its rolling then it gets a little softer but not compared to when i had the power steerign working. ANy info would be appreciated . Thanks
Old 07-01-2004 | 03:21 PM
350Now

Actually you can probably take the line out and put some temporary sealant like JB Weld or RTV Silicone seal, if the rupture is not too big. Or take it to a machine shop and have them weld the hole.
Old 07-01-2004 | 08:37 PM
slay2k

Originally posted by etx
eeeh what? On the Tial wastegates that come with the greddy? I don't remember any adjustments.
ETX,

Please clean out your inbox, I need to send you an urgent PM and can't do so cause it's full...

-slay