Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Few questions for the Vortech Guys..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 12:56 AM
g35twinturbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Few questions for the Vortech Guys..

Here are a few questions i have, want to clear all of this up before i get the vortech system...
Admin : Might want to sticky this.

1) Does the vortech system come with new spark plugs? do i need new ones?

2) Stock out of the box what rwhp should i have on 91 pump gas and i currently have no performance mods?

3) is it important to have it tunned or can i just run it out of the box? is it possable for the a/f ratio to move on its own?

4) just got oil changed at 1500 currently @ 1800 gona get vortech around 2300, i think im gona get new oil, is it still 5 qts? what oil is recomended for vortech . currently using mobil 1 5w-30

5) does the vortech system have a break in period, or can i just gun it right away?

6) if i were to change the exhaust system, catback and maby high flow cats / test pipes do i run a chance of runnig lean / rich? do i need to get tunned with r4 software?

7) if i go to a tunner to get the ss box tunned for more hp and tq, do i need to buy the r4 software or might the tunner already have it?

8) running the votech system out of box , is it possable for the engine to get messed up? kinda a general question there sry

9) what kinda cars might i be able to beat once set up with the vortech system: for example: Right now the g35/ 350z can run with a bmw 330ci and a stock wrx, what cars might be i be able to run with after i am vorteched

10) Is there a bov or wastegate sound with the vortech system? Is it real quiet or can u hear that thing when u let off the gas? Sound clips welcome

11) Will the Greddy Bumper ( with cutout for intercooler) be to big of a cutout for the vortech intercooler?

12) Like in the Sti or Evo 8 there is a Intercooler Water spray, which when used correctly makes denser air, thus leading better performance.. would this type of system work with the vortech intercooler + supercharger?

Thats all i can think of now, but if anyone can imput on any of these that would be great.

Thanks,
Jordan
Old 07-09-2004, 03:27 AM
zimbo

Default Re: Few questions for the Vortech Guys..

1) Does the vortech system come with new spark plugs? do i need new ones?

No. Unless your car is very new I would recommed going with copper or iridium plugs, one step colder than stock. It's a good thing to have done at the time of the supercharger install, but since my car had only 1500 miles at the time I waited another 4000 miles or so before changing the plugs.

2) Stock out of the box what rwhp should i have on 91 pump gas and i currently have no performance mods?

Without tuning you'll be looking at 330 rwhp or so, running very rich.

3) is it important to have it tunned or can i just run it out of the box? is it possable for the a/f ratio to move on its own?

IMO, you should have it tuned. It is something you really can do yourself if you search this forum for info about the R4 software. There's only one gotcha and that is that you must set the point at which the aux pump comes on whenever you first create a new customer file (which you will presumably do only once).

4) just got oil changed at 1500 currently @ 1800 gona get vortech around 2300, i think im gona get new oil, is it still 5 qts? what oil is recomended for vortech . currently using mobil 1 5w-30

I'm using the same oil as you. Yes it's still 5 quarts although a larger lower pan would be a nice additional mod. Regardless, you'll need to drain the oil when you remove the lower pan--make sure the installer removes the lower pan because tapping the pan will almost assuredly get at least a couple of metal flakes in the pan. Might as well put on a new oil filter at the same time.

5) does the vortech system have a break in period, or can i just gun it right away?

The only break-in is that when you drive the car, you should make sure the car temp has warmed up for a minute or two before going above 3000 rpms. Oh, I guess the other break-in is that you'll need to have the serpentine belt re-tensioned at about 500 miles and again at 1000 miles (or whenever you hear belt squeal at startup).

6) if i were to change the exhaust system, catback and maby high flow cats / test pipes do i run a chance of runnig lean / rich? do i need to get tunned with r4 software?

If you tune the car with the R4 software immediately after installing the supercharger, you'll want to retune it after each successive performance mod. Exhaust, plenum, and cats definitely affect the R4 tuning. If you don't tune the SS box, you'll be plenty rich even after installing those mods.

7) if i go to a tunner to get the ss box tunned for more hp and tq, do i need to buy the r4 software or might the tunner already have it?

If the tuner doesn't own a copy, I would recommend that YOU buy the software and that YOU assist the tuner with YOUR laptop during the dyno session. That way you are there to observe what's being done to your car and you end up with the .MDB file after the session is over. I have some R4 tuning recommendations I'll gladly share when you get to that point. Trust me, you can do as good or better than 99% of the tuners out there if you know how R4 works.

8) running the votech system out of box , is it possable for the engine to get messed up? kinda a general question there sry

IMO, the standard Vortech tune is too rich to be healthy. My car would hardly stay started at idle.

9) what kinda cars might i be able to beat once set up with the vortech system: for example: Right now the g35/ 350z can run with a bmw 330ci and a stock wrx, what cars might be i be able to run with after i am vorteched

I'll let someone else handle this one, but I recommend finding out at the drag strip rather than on the street.

10) Is there a bov or wastegate sound with the vortech system? Is it real quiet or can u hear that thing when u let off the gas? Sound clips welcome

Yes, there is a bypass valve. And you should know that several folks on this board have had issues with it. You should definitely hear a loud PSSSHHHHHHHHT sound when shifting at WOT, but if you hear a loud whistle while driving normally then it needs to be adjusted.

11) Will the Greddy Bumper ( with cutout for intercooler) be to big of a cutout for the vortech intercooler?

I don't know.

12) Like in the Sti or Evo 8 there is a Intercooler Water spray, which when used correctly makes denser air, thus leading better performance.. would this type of system work with the vortech intercooler + supercharger?

Some people on the board are spraying Nitrous onto the intercooler, but most of the gains from that are due to N02 making it into the intake (which will lean out the car considerably). I have a methanol/water injection kit with my Vortech that serves only to cool down the intake charge and increase octane content. It does NOT increase HP.

--Steve
Old 07-09-2004, 08:16 AM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Steve,
Talk more about the methanol/water injection kit.
Specs
brand
where you purchased it.
installation
cooling the intake charge / running more bost
Thanks!
Timrod
Old 07-09-2004, 08:24 AM
zimbo

Timrod, I don't want to hijack this thread, but you can read about the exact kit I have right here. I added an optional boost-based component so that the spray only engages under boost. The tank fits nicely right underneath/beside the hood latch and just above the intercooler so it's very easy to refill. I'll take pictures when I get my car back from its gender-change surgery.

--Steve
Old 07-09-2004, 01:57 PM
g35twinturbo

WOW Zimbo, thanks for taking the time to answer all of those questions!