Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech B.O.V. filter silencer....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:09 AM
DBZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried the Greddy Type-S and the Greddy Type-R. The Type-R has a really stiff spring and didn't work well with our 8psi kit. It would not blow off until I unscrewed it almost all the way, then it would not build boost. It’s made for higher boost not 8psi at redline.

The Type-S was the same as our Vortech but it was much louder and the sound was very annoying. I put the Vortech bov back in and had 5 threads showing on the spring screw it sounds good and I have learned to live with it. I hope that helps you guys.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:25 AM
esemes

DBZ-

this info may have saved someone else 2-5 hundred dollars, in experimenting....

thank you VERY much for the contribution!

i had the type S in my hand (along with the red polished unit), and decided to go with the maxflow for some odd reason..... with the NO RETURN policy of the shop i bought from, i am very gratefull i chose maxflow (aka vortech!)

as a result, i have an extra (brand new) maxflow BOV, as vortech sent me a new one once i proved my original to be defective (the shrilling sound at idle, etc)
Old 07-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Houston G35

esemes,

My filter arrived today. I will install it in the next day or so. Thanks so much for your efforts and detail.

(p.s. I was in Florida last week. It would have been great to meet up with you. What area are you in? My family takes a yearly vacation to near the border of AL and FL. Also, Destin is easy to get to)
Old 07-13-2004, 08:10 PM
luanda

Hey Houston G35....

When you get a chance, please post your impressions about the noise reduction, and whether or not you went with some/all of esemes mods.

Many Thanks.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:31 PM
greddy4777

hey guys, just installed my vortech.

mine actually whistles at cruising speen but not to much at idle(once warmed up) does this mean i have to tighten it and by how much?

just ordered my filter as well...will post results after install..
Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2004, 08:35 PM
esemes

4777 - is the whistle irregular, and happening at idle sometimes too (and on decel)... is it s 'whistle, or just the venting sund thru the trumpet???

try the yardstick trick to see!

let me know... telltale sign, ifso..
Old 07-13-2004, 08:39 PM
greddy4777

come to think of it...it does whistle when i decel(or let the car glide) when i cruise...you can hear the whistle as well...

as for idle it comes and goes. the yard stick trick...i read that...
i had the car up on a lift...when i put my hand in front...the whisting went away....!!

eric
Old 07-13-2004, 08:51 PM
greddy4777

k..found the thread...i guess i have a bad seal on my BOV...

Esemes..PMing you
Old 07-13-2004, 09:00 PM
esemes

eric-

hate to tell ya (well, i dont hate to, anymore) but this is not the correct funsctioning of the valve...

either the internal diaphram is shot, torn, or somehow not seating correctly, or its a factory defect.....

see if you can get vortech to swap out for you; i have one new one left here (red, polished).........

TTYL

eS
Old 07-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by DBZ33
...The Type-S was the same as our Vortech but it was much louder and the sound was very annoying...
Does the type-s make any noise at idle or decel? Louder, you mean only at the release of gas right? The blowoff sound. But it does eliminate the whistle sound that the vortech one makes.

Thanks

Old 07-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Houston G35

I installed the noise reducer today. My first impression is that it is much quieter. It is unbelievable that Vortech does not include this filter with the kit. It only cost $10 and reduces the noice by 50% to 75%.

I did not make the addtional modifications. I simply installed the stock reducer. I may make the changes later, but I am very happy right now. The sound is very close to stock.

BTW, I was able to do the install without jacking the car up at all, and I only removed two screws. It was a real pain, but better than pulling the jack out of the trunk and removing plastic housings.

If you plan on installing it this way, don't be afraid to manhandle it. I really had to use a lot of force to get the thing on because the space is so tight. Oh, you have to come up next to the wheel well. There is no way to force it in from the top.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Houston G35

Update:

My wife says the "standard" noise reducer is not enough. On to the next level. I will keep you updated.

(With the A/C on it sounds like stock. With no A/C (as my wife pointed out) you can still hear the BOV (but no where near as loud).
Old 07-14-2004, 08:24 PM
luanda

Default Including BOV Silencer

Geez Vortech should have just thrown this in the kit......
Old 07-27-2004, 07:37 PM
chaparro78

Originally posted by Houston G35
Update:

My wife says the "standard" noise reducer is not enough. On to the next level. I will keep you updated.

(With the A/C on it sounds like stock. With no A/C (as my wife pointed out) you can still hear the BOV (but no where near as loud).
Did you just install the filter or did you do step one in esemes's silencer scheme.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:38 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine on 2 days ago . I added the foam inside the filter . 90% of the whistle is gone . I was able to get the filter on with out turning the BOV around and with out adding an extention . The filter did get squeezed a little , up against the intercooler pipping . I can only hear the blower itself now . THANKS...Scott..................Hey Scott...find a new car yet ?
Old 07-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Houston G35

chaparro,

I only installed the filter. Major difference, but not quite enough.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:24 AM
mcduck

esemes... are you saying the constant whistle at cruise or decel is not normal? Some sort of defect with the BOV? Mine has done this since my Vortech was first installed and did not seem to affect the stability of boost or the level of boost I was able to hit.

It is annoying... particularly on long trips. I'm probably going to do the silencer upgrade and just take it off for shows.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:03 AM
esemes

DO THE FOAM

foam is yer friend......

i lost the whistle sound when i switched out to a different (same) bov.
my original one would shrill (even when in idle) and annoyed the heck out of me......

i have an extra red bov here... 150 gets it! (brand new)... the red one was dead silent from the shrill! (assuming this is too, but no way of knowing)
Old 07-28-2004, 07:06 AM
booger

Ive talk to Vortech about it....and yes.. they said it will whistle . I think Scotts was a really bad whistle .
Old 07-28-2004, 07:13 AM
greddy4777

just let you guys kno...i put the vortech filter on my BOV...and it did NOT change anything...sounds exactly the same to me...

i am concerned a lil because Scott (the only one)replaced his BOV with a new one and he has no whistle whatsoever...
now what happens if vortech is bsing us, telling us it suppose to whistle, but in fact it hurting our blower...(just a thought)

i also heard from my mechanic...rumor...vortech is coming out with a new BOV... what are ur thoughts guys

Quick Reply: Vortech B.O.V. filter silencer....