Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Feeler: Group Buy on Forged Internals

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by gq_626

The only other thing I plan on doing is installing high strength ARP head and main studs. SGP racing sells them for $399 Maybe we could do another group buy on them??
I'm in
Old 08-02-2004, 04:32 PM
G3po

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default studs

ARP studs, yes I am considering these as well. Group buy drool...
Old 08-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Kyle...from SPG racing....call on Kyle....please

Maybe Kyle can setup a direct buy program for us.

Lets wrap up the piston/rod group buy first...then we can focus our efforts on the other parts.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:36 PM
luanda

Hmmm Interesting - what about the Molybdenum super-slicky stuff on the stock pistons

Any chance of gettin' that on these? Is this a major benefit or just marketing bunf???
Old 08-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

They offer a ceramic heat coating material on the piston for about $120 for the set. I am not convinced of their true benefit, I didnt offer it as an option. The benifits are likely very marginal, and will add too much complexity to the group buy.

Lower compression and added strength is the real benefit of doing this deal.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have gone the forged route on three (Ford) vehicles.

Words of advice:

The quality and experience of the machinist that you choose will determine the success of your result. Make absolutely sure your machinist is top-notch.

If you get your blocks bored, remember that the bores must be centered to the crank and a perfect 90 degrees from the deck. A good machinist knows how to do this. Make sure yours does.

Of course the bores must be perfectly round and the same size all the way down. They often wear oval or more at the top of the block (where the rings ride).

Your rods, pistons, pins, and rings must weigh exactly the same, otherwise your engine will be out of balance and shake itself apart.

Your bore quality and hone or cross-hatch pattern is different for different pistons and even different rings. Your machinist should be able to cite examples and certainly know what is best for your combination.

Since the piston to cylinder wall clearances are greater for engines with forged pistons, and because of higher presures from SC and TT's, your engine will not last as long. I have heard folks say that this isn't always true, but I would ask them how many miles they got before the motor burned 1 quart every 1000 miles....my bet is 80,000 - 90,000 miles.

Thinning the cylinder walls by boring out the cylinders causes your engine to run hotter.

There are many different types of piston rings. Learn about the different types and once you decide on what you want, make sure they are installed right-side up (if applicable).

This is not a simple bolt on mod, it is major heart surgery or even like a heart transplant. I am sure there are statistics for failures, because there are so many variables.

I am sure there are exceptions to these issues depending on the engine.

Last edited by JCat; 08-02-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jcn30127
I have gone the forged route on three (Ford) vehicles.

Words of advice:

The quality and experience of the machinist that you choose will determine the success of your result. Make absolutely sure your machinist is top-notch.

If you get your blocks bored, remember that the bores must be centered to the crank and a perfect 90 degrees from the deck. A good machinist knows how to do this. Make sure yours does.

Of course the bores must be perfectly round and the same size all the way down. They often wear oval or more at the top of the block (where the rings ride).

Your rods, pistons, pins, and rings must weigh exactly the same, otherwise your engine will be out of balance and shake itself apart.

Your bore quality and hone or cross-hatch pattern is different for different pistons and even different rings. Your machinist should be able to cite examples and certainly know what is best for your combination.

Since the piston to cylinder wall clearances are greater for engines with forged pistons, and because of higher presures from SC and TT's, your engine will not last as long. I have heard folks say that this isn't always true, but I would ask them how many miles they got before the motor burned 1 quart every 1000 miles....my bet is 80,000 - 90,000 miles.

Thinning the cylinder walls by boring out the cylinders causes your engine to run hotter.

There are many different types of piston rings. Learn about the different types and once you decide on what you want, make sure they are installed right-side up (if applicable).

This is not a simple bolt on mod, it is major heart surgery or even like a heart transplant. I am sure there are statistics for failures, because there are so many variables.

I am sure there are exceptions to these issues depending on the engine.
Very good information. This is why we do our research before building any engine. We also use torque plates for the boring and honing of all our engines to insure a true round bore .

Kyle
SGP Racing
Old 08-02-2004, 07:58 PM
G3po

Default bore or not to bore

AS promised , in response to my pm to SGP (Kyle)
Thanx Kyle. I would now recommend a .02 bore to all in this group buy.

Re: overbore

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G3po wrote on 08-02-2004 06:03 PM:
Kyle have all the +8 VQ35s that SGP built use .02 overbore?
Any retain stock bore?
Some people are concerned tha ta .02 may weaken the OEM sleeves to much.

Thanx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All have been .020 over and not one problem out of any of them :-)

Kyle
SGP Racing
Old 08-02-2004, 08:09 PM
KPierson
Banned

Default Re: bore or not to bore

OK, I'm going with the overbore, I'm going with the rods, all that is left is to decide on the CR. Whats everyone else thinking? I'm gonna run around 16-17psi of boost from my Procharger. I'm thinking 9:1. Thoughts everyone else?

Kevin
Old 08-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Default Re: Re: bore or not to bore

Originally posted by KPierson
OK, I'm going with the overbore, I'm going with the rods, all that is left is to decide on the CR. Whats everyone else thinking? I'm gonna run around 16-17psi of boost from my Procharger. I'm thinking 9:1. Thoughts everyone else?

Kevin
Very good points on the engine building side. The guy who installs your motor may or may not be the best person to build the motor.

This is absolutely true. Each piston and rod is weighed and measured for a perfect balance. However, becuase you are changed the entire assembly, it's advisable to have the rotating assembly balanced. This is also something any competent engine builder will do...but you might want to check. I guess they add weights somewhere on the crankshaft to create a perfect balance.

Regarding the CR..If you plan on going into the mid teens of boost with a cent SC, I think 9.0:1 -9.5:1 is a good choice. Since the boost curve is linear, you wont be bulding as much boost at lower RPM, and you'd benifit nicely by having a compression ratio in that range.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Bump...

CHECK OUT THE GROUP BUY LINK!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=85958
Old 08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
was wesman

Originally posted by gq_626
Not really. You could take your stock sleeves, and then just "pin" the deck "or semi-close it. But if you do that, might as well just sleeve and close the deck at the same time.

The only other thing I plan on doing is installing high strength ARP head and main studs. SGP racing sells them for $399 Maybe we could do another group buy on them??
If you do, go to ARP themselves, they will give you the best prices by far....I've been down that road with the Z32 and it was almost hlaf what people were charging for the kit.

--wes
Old 08-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

wow...thanks for the info.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=85958
Old 08-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

shameless bump.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Any last minute takers? 10 People have paid! And several more have promised to pay over the weekend. We are looking really good here. This will probably be the only time to save hundreds of dollars on forged rods and pistons for your F/I setup.

Also note, if you just needs rods only, or pistons only, we can accomodate you too!
Old 08-06-2004, 05:15 PM
zimbo

Good show, Sharif, and thanks again for all of your leg work on this. I can't wait until you start up the heads, studs, bearings, and gaskets GB to round out the set

--Steve
Old 08-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Enron Exec

Originally posted by zimbo
Good show, Sharif, and thanks again for all of your leg work on this. I can't wait until you start up the heads, studs, bearings, and gaskets GB to round out the set

--Steve
Dont forget injectors!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Payment Number 11 has come in! Thanks Spazpilot! Just a few more to hit our target.

Just two short days left to get your payments in!

Old 08-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Zcool

I just got back to a computer after a cool weekend in Sun Valley, ID. How goes the group buy?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

We are up to 13 payments...need just one more. I have faith!

Quick Reply: Feeler: Group Buy on Forged Internals